• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Introducing myself

uniacto

WCA
2013KWON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone, my name is Gabriel, and I've recently become more interested in speedcubing. I've watched tutorials on youtube, and in 4-6 months, I've gotten my average time for a 3x3 to around 30-35 seconds. My pb is 25.38, but I haven't really managed to get sub 30 averages consistenly. I use the Fridrich method, with F2l and 2 Look OLL and PLL. Any tips on how to get faster would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hunter

YouTube
Visit Channel
I recommend you turn much slower during F2L. You are limited by look-ahed, so slowing down your turning speed should not affect your times that much and it will help with look-ahead.

uniacto

WCA
2013KWON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I recommend you turn much slower during F2L. You are limited by look-ahed, so slowing down your turning speed should not affect your times that much and it will help with look-ahead.

how much slower? I've been trying lookahead, but i'm not seeing a significant difference in my times. does it take awhile to decrease times or something?

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
how much slower? I've been trying lookahead, but i'm not seeing a significant difference in my times. does it take awhile to decrease times or something?

not slower is important, but more fluent; without any pauses between the single turns/ pair inserts. once you manage to maintain a certain fluidity in your solves, you can slowly try to turn faster and your times will improve significantly.

uniacto

WCA
2013KWON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
not slower is important, but more fluent; without any pauses between the single turns/ pair inserts. once you manage to maintain a certain fluidity in your solves, you can slowly try to turn faster and your times will improve significantly.

ah okay.. that makes sense... do you think it's possible to get sub 25 by the end of august with lookahead?

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
ah okay.. that makes sense... do you think it's possible to get sub 25 by the end of august with lookahead?

sure, why not? depends on your time spent and your efficiency while training/learning. if you practice 2-3 hrs a day with serious exercises you can easily be sub20

Alcuber

WCA
2010WHIT01
Welcome!

As others said look-ahead could improve your times significantly. Your turning speed seems pretty good but slowing down a bit so that you can track pieces in your F2L or identifying cases can help your solves have less pauses. Once you get comfortable with that you can slowly increase your turn speed.

I think you can be sub-20 soon :)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome! I am a beginner myself. Started about two and a half month ago. My times went from 2 minute averages to averages of 1 minute with CFOP. Now that I am getting the hang of looking ahead my averages dropped to about 45 - 50 seconds. I am working on cross currently but no matter how many hours I practice I can't do crosses blind. I am pretty ok at the cross (for a beginner) with looking.