• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Inspection - When the stopwatch is reset

Genius4Jesus

WCA
2013ESPA01
YouTube
Genius4JesusCubing
I am creating this thread to address a possible problem.

I notice in official WCA competitions as soon as a competitor places their hands on the StackMat timer, most judges stop and reset the stopwatch. This poses a problem as many people will: a) Take their hands off the StackMat timer, reset it, and inspect for more time. OR b) Keep their hands on the timer and keep inspecting by moving their head around the puzzle.

This can allow people to accidentally or (hopefully not) purposely get extra inspection time, as the judge has no idea if they have gone over the 15 second inspection time. Therefore, I propose that judges should stop and reset the stopwatch, after the competitor turns the puzzle.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
masterNZ
As the two above me have said, the procedure described in the OP is incorrect. I see it plenty enough, but it shouldn't happen. Judges shouldn't stop the stopwatch until the solving phase has started and there is no inspection-time penalty to apply.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
sneaklyfox
Maybe one problem is that the judge is trying to stop the timer when the stackmat timer starts (solving begins) but when the competitor takes hands off the timer because he realizes it needs to be reset the judge mistakenly thought it was the start of the solve (since the hands were taken off the timer).