• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

In need of suggestions/tips

zottey

YouTube
ilikebaseball10
Ok so i've been cubing for a few months now.I am totally hooked. i'm learning Fridrich and i've got pll/oll down great. but f2l is giving the most trouble. it slows me down sooo much. i think it takes me around 35-40 seconds just to finish fridrich f2l. it takes me 25-30 using plain beginners f2l. im averaging about 45 seconds and my pb is 34. any tips? thanks a lot.

bundat

I suggest you count how many moves it takes you to do Cross+F2L.
You should ALWAYS be able to do the cross in less than or at most 8 moves.
Each F2L pair can be solved at an average of 7 moves.

That would give an average of 36 moves for the F2L (I personally go below 30 moves around 2 out of 5 solves, and I never cross the 40-move mark anymore).

If you turn 1 face each second (which is incredibly slow, non-cubers and beginners turn faster than this), that's 36 seconds for the entire F2L.

2 turns per second (TPS), which is still incredibly slow, would already be less than 20 seconds for the entire F2L. Make it 25 if you pause 1 second after the cross and each pair (which is already quite long).
But judging from your average, your turn speed is quite fast as your LL is less than 10 seconds (you could probably hit 5-6 TPS on your best and fastest algs).

And 5 TPS (a turn speed that you seemingly can reach) combined with a 36 move F2L, would be less than 8 seconds (ignoring pauses due to lack of look-ahead, of course).

So count your moves.

- If you're doing more than 8 moves for the cross, do cross practice.
Plan it out in your head such that it will take 8 moves or less, and then form the cross without looking nor visualizing the pieces in your head. You have to form the whole cross algorithm in your head before you start solving. It doesn't matter how long you stare at the cube inspecting it, just don't start until you can form the whole cross in your head.
- You're also probably taking too many moves in the F2L. Each F2L case can be solved in 11 moves MAX. Even then, you shouldn't be doing that for all 4 pairs, only for 1 or 2 at most, then rest should be 3-7 move pairs. Make your practice specific as to keep your F2L move count down.
This is the technique in the past that I used to get my F2L down to sub-20 in just a couple of weeks (without even having lookahead yet), and I highly recommend it. Print out some F2L algorithms (I personally used this) BUT, NOT for memorization. While solving the F2L, look at the alg for the current case, and try to understand how it works intuitively. This may feel restricting at first, as you already have your own way of doing it (which probably wastes a lot of moves), but after enough practice doing this, your brain will somehow suddenly just figure it out and you will be doing the shortest intuitive ways in forming F2L pairs, with almost no wasted moves. Don't time yourself. I never timed myself until I could do any case confidently, and I was almost sub-40 the first time I tried timing myself after learning the F2L this way (straight from above 1-minute times before).
Look-ahead is the factor that speeds up F2L for most people, but that works only if your F2L is short and efficient.

Also, how are your finger tricks?
If you keep it basic and simple (use your wrist for R and L turns, use your right index for U and F turns, left index for U' and F', or sometimes your right thumb depending on your hand's position), you can go a long way.

Last edited:

bundat

That's using algs though, right? I think some cases require 11 moves HTM when done intuitively (unless breaking up the cross and forming the pairs on random layers and faces is intuitive to you)

not_kevin

WCA
2008YOUN02
YouTube
notkevin888
That's using algs though, right? I think some cases require 11 moves HTM when done intuitively (unless breaking up the cross and forming the pairs on random layers and faces is intuitive to you)
To be more precise, some cases do not follow the same logic the other cases follow, and therefore, through that form of logic, must be done in 11 HTM.

jonny guitar

Make sure you search for more thread on this topic because it is well covered and there are many other great suggestions that have been offered.