• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Imsoosm's Progression Thread - learning eg1

Should I buy the MGC 4x4 or the Yuhu megaminx?

• Total voters

Imsoosm

OMG you're finally back. Where did you visit?
Lots of places, mostly historical but also some sightseeing spots. I went to these caves with paintings of buddhas on them in Dunhuang (paintings were never repainted, 1300+years old, but you can still see the colors), and also the desert. Second was these mountains with lots of different colors on them that are made by different minerals, and there was also a canyon that I went down to the bottom of (that was really tiring)

I also went to the largest saltwater lake in the world (Qinghai lake) and the worlds biggest mosque (or temple idk)

Last edited:

Imsoosm

Aside from that csTimer reset, I just realized as I flipped back through my old CubeDesk times:
I improved about 5 seconds this year! I was averaging high-16 to low-17 this January, now I'm averaging 11 (turns out I'm not sub-11 yet)

Imsoosm

Something I've wondered for a while:
How do people gen algs for OLL? How do you make the solver gen algs that only orient the last layer, but not finishing it?
I have something I want to test out, if anyone responds to this I'll gen some algs. I'll probably post in the new method substep thread (it might be a joke method though)
And how do you make cubexplorer to generate algs you want? Like RUD gen algs, not some random optimal RUDFBL alg

Or if anyone is able to teach me how to use the Batch Solver (I can't watch youtube so I don't have the tutorial) (OR if anyone likes to contribute on this please help) I will just use that instead.

Imsoosm

What in the actual world.

Generated By csTimer on 2022-07-17
avg of 5: 1.299

Time List:
1. (1.664) F' R' U' R U' R F R2 U
2. 1.180 U R' U' F' U2 R F R2 F2 R'
3. 1.385 R' U2 F2 R U R' F2 R' F'
4. 1.333 R' U R F2 R U' F' R F'
5. (1.129) R F R' F2 U R2 F' R' F

z2 y R' U R' U' R U R' / U F R U R' U' F' U2 - CLL

x y' R' F R F' / L' U' L F L' U' L U L F' L2 U L U' - CLS ig

x2 z' R2 U' R2 U (R') / (R) U R2 F' R U R U' R' F R U' R' U' - OLL skip

x' y2 L U' L / F' L F L' U2 L' U2 L U - CLL

y' z' U' R / U R U' R' U R U' R' F R U' R' U - EG-1

Imsoosm

I can probably convince my dad to buy me some cubes this summer, but I can only buy two (or maybe three if I argue with him a bit). Current puzzles I want:
MGC 4x4, MGC Elite 2x2, Yuhu Megaminx, and Tornado V3 if it comes out.
I can't really decide which two cubes I should get (or three).

I should definitely get the 2x2, because my 249m isn't magnetized, although I still get pretty good times with it. The reason I want the Tornado is Gan 12 locks up sometimes and is too loud. A lot of good cubers are also starting to use the Tornado.

For 4x4 and mega, I don't practice those a lot, but I think if I get the cubes I can improve a lot. Mega is currently some trash Qiyi cube with no magnets and locks up every other turn, same with 4x4, except its the black pieces with colored outlines from MFJS.

What do you guys think I should get?

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can probably convince my dad to buy me some cubes this summer, but I can only buy two (or maybe three if I argue with him a bit). Current puzzles I want:

I should definitely get the 2x2, because my 249m isn't magnetized, although I still get pretty good times with it. The reason I want the Tornado is Gan 12 locks up sometimes and is too loud. A lot of good cubers are also starting to use the Tornado.

For 4x4 and mega, I don't practice those a lot, but I think if I get the cubes I can improve a lot. Mega is currently some trash Qiyi cube with no magnets and locks up every other turn, same with 4x4, except its the black pieces with colored outlines from MFJS.

Megaminx is a lot more fun and rewarding than 4x4. With megaminx the lookahead helps improve 3x3, whilst 4x4 isn't really similar to 3x3 other than solving the cube like a 3x3 in the end.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel

Definitely get the Megaminx and 4x4.

In your opinion. In my opinion, 4x4 is more fun
Both of them are equally fun for me. My only issue with 4x4 is that once you become sub 1, it becomes very repetitive. Megaminx on the other hand, is a much more different event. So every solve is different, making it nonrepetitive and there's a lot more freedom during the solve for efficiency. If you haven't picked up Megaminx, I highly recommend it.

Imsoosm

welp, at badminton practice today we were doing some warm up exercies, and during bear crawl I scraped four of my fingers
no more cubing for at least 2 days ig
or maybe I should practice some virtual cubing, haven't done those in a while

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Megaminx is a lot more fun and rewarding than 4x4. With megaminx the lookahead helps improve 3x3, whilst 4x4 isn't really similar to 3x3 other than solving the cube like a 3x3 in the end.
Like @Abram Grimsley said, in your opinion. How fast you are at an event can majorly impact how fun it is for you. Also, big cube lookahead is very applicable to 3x3 lookahead lol