• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Imsoosm's Progression Thread - learning eg1

Should I buy the MGC 4x4 or the Yuhu megaminx?

• Total voters

Imsoosm

A page mainly to keep up with my cubing updates:)
I usually cube most during the weekends because I still have to go to school during weekdays, so I will come on here once in a while during weekdays, and I'll be on here more frequently during the weekends.

I hope you guys can give me some tips on how to be sub-10, a milestone I've been struggling for almost an year now.

This thread could also be used for sharing algorithms or scrambles.

I will be most likely to upload my stats once a week (or if I'm busy, once two weeks).
So here's a little bit about myself.
I am a 13 year old cuber who uses CFOP, and Gan 12 Maglev UV is my main. I average around 13-14 seconds with 3x3, and my personal best is 6.71 (I can post the scramble if you want). I have not memorized all of CFOP, I'm missing about 6 OLL algs and 2 PLL algs. My favorite events are 3x3 and 2x2, both of which I'm decent at but not very good. I haven't gone to an official competition before due to the pandemic, but I plan to join one as soon as competitions open:)

I rarely learn new algorithms anymore, and the only algs I didn't memorize are hard to memorize algs, so it might take me a month or so to learn them (yes, I'm a very slow learner). After I finish complete CFOP, I plan to memorize some easy to recognize ZBLLs, as well as some COLLs and maybe some stuff relating to F2L like CLS, VLS, and WV. A lot more algorithms to memorize, I guess.

So now my main goals are to memorize all CFOP, and get to sub-10. For 2x2, my goals are to memorize CLL, and after that, if I want to get serious about 2x2, I'll memorize some EG-1 and EG-2. I might also want to improve my look ahead (which is kind of bad right now).

I have a big problem of predicting my first F2L pair after finishing the cross. I usually can't track the pieces, so when I finish the cross, I have to look around the cube for a suitable F2L pair to do, which wastes a HUGE amount of time. After the first pair, I can predict the where the next pair goes, but maybe it's because making a pair doesn't require a lot of different face rotations than cross. So I will have to improve on that as well. Hope you guys can give me some good tips on that :)

After I memorize all CFOP I would like to work on my 4x4 more, I completely suck at 4x4. It takes me around 1 minute and thirty seconds to solve it :( Also going to work on my megaminx, because I have absolutely no idea how people like Juan Pablo Huanqi solves S2L in like 15 seconds.

anyway, hope I will reach my goals soon!

Imsoosm

WEEK 1
The single and averages of 5, 12, and 100 are all based on the solves I did this week. So the times listed is my personal best out of the solves I did this week.

3x3
Single: 10.803
AO5: 12.473
AO12: 13.197
AO100: 13.425
Mean (312 solves): 14.198

Note: I didn't solve all 312 this week, I'm just going to keep an update of all my solves every week, so maybe next week the mean goes to 350, or even 400 if I'm in a good mood for cubing.

I'm pretty satisfied with my AO5 actually, because it was almost 2 seconds lower than my mean. For the single, I'm kind of disappointed because I was actually pretty close to a sub-10, but there were a few hesitations, and some pauses between steps led me to the score.
I'm also pretty satisfied with my mean, because before the last 100 solves or so, it was 14.851, and it lowered more than 0.65 seconds, and even though it's a small improvement, I'm still glad to see progress going on.

2x2
Single: 0.720
AO5: 3.054
AO12: 2.990
AO100: 3.362
Mean (191 solves): 3.376

The 0.72 single was amazing. After I put in two of the white corners, I finished the whole cube, basically an LL skip.
The scramble is here: R2 F2 R' F2 U F' U R' Try it out for yourself! Scramble with white on top and green in front. Comment on your times ;)
For some reason, my AO5 is slower than my AO12, which is kind of weird, but I'll be aiming for a sub-3 AO5 next week (or this weekend). Also, my mean has also dropped down 0.2 seconds, but progress is progress.

So these are the times I did for this week, I might do another post during the weekend. I hope you guys have tips for me on getting sub-10 consistently. :)

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
A page mainly to keep up with my cubing updates:)
I usually cube most during the weekends because I still have to go to school during weekdays, so I will come on here once in a while during weekdays, and I'll be on here more frequently during the weekends.

I hope you guys can give me some tips on how to be sub-10, a milestone I've been struggling for almost an year now.

This thread could also be used for sharing algorithms or scrambles.

I will be most likely to upload my stats once a week (or if I'm busy, once two weeks).
So here's a little bit about myself.
I am a 13 year old cuber who uses CFOP, and Gan 12 Maglev UV is my main. I average around 13-14 seconds with 3x3, and my personal best is 6.71 (I can post the scramble if you want). I have not memorized all of CFOP, I'm missing about 6 OLL algs and 2 PLL algs. My favorite events are 3x3 and 2x2, both of which I'm decent at but not very good. I haven't gone to an official competition before due to the pandemic, but I plan to join one as soon as competitions open:)

I rarely learn new algorithms anymore, and the only algs I didn't memorize are hard to memorize algs, so it might take me a month or so to learn them (yes, I'm a very slow learner). After I finish complete CFOP, I plan to memorize some easy to recognize ZBLLs, as well as some COLLs and maybe some stuff relating to F2L like CLS, VLS, and WV. A lot more algorithms to memorize, I guess.

So now my main goals are to memorize all CFOP, and get to sub-10. For 2x2, my goals are to memorize CLL, and after that, if I want to get serious about 2x2, I'll memorize some EG-1 and EG-2. I might also want to improve my look ahead (which is kind of bad right now).

I have a big problem of predicting my first F2L pair after finishing the cross. I usually can't track the pieces, so when I finish the cross, I have to look around the cube for a suitable F2L pair to do, which wastes a HUGE amount of time. After the first pair, I can predict the where the next pair goes, but maybe it's because making a pair doesn't require a lot of different face rotations than cross. So I will have to improve on that as well. Hope you guys can give me some good tips on that :)

After I memorize all CFOP I would like to work on my 4x4 more, I completely suck at 4x4. It takes me around 1 minute and thirty seconds to solve it :( Also going to work on my megaminx, because I have absolutely no idea how people like Juan Pablo Huanqi solves S2L in like 15 seconds.

anyway, hope I will reach my goals soon!
Just for 3x3 here:
100% finish PLL, missing even 1 (or 2 as here) makes you significantly more inconsistent and could potentially ruin a PB pace solve
And since you're so close with OLL, you may as well finish that too for the same reasons.

Learning algs can be hard but some things that could work are:
- looking at what the alg does to the cube (e.g. how it moves around F2L pairs before putting them back in). Note that this won't work for all algs
- memorising hand patterns. I think the RUD G and V perms are good examples of where this might be useful
- recognising where common move sequences appear, which you probably do already. You can also recognise modified versions of those common sequences, like if you saw R2 U R2 U', you could say it's the sexy move with R2 instead of R. Or R' F R F is the sledgehammer with F instead of F' on the final move.

- use an alg trainer to train your algs when you have learnt / are learning them. I personally use https://bestsiteever.ru/oll/ for OLL and https://www.bestsiteever.ru/pll/ for PLL

Imsoosm

Did a couple of lazy solves over the weekend, didn't do a lot though because I caught a cold :(

3x3
Single: 9.926
AO5: 10.671
AO12: 11.938
I'm not updating my mean and AO100 this time because I only did 10 solves, and that's too less.

Finally got a sub-10 this weekend, and it was really close to not being a sub-10. Scramble:
L D' F' R' U' D2 L2 D L' B' D2 F U2 B L2 B D2 F' L2 D2 F'
There were two F2L pairs already completed, so I inserted them in and then I did the next two cross edges.
I'm really happy about the AO5 and the AO12, I've improved quite a bit.

2x2
New PB!!
Single: 0.712
AO5: 2.760
AO12: 2.840
Well I can only say my 2x2 times are very inconsistent.
anyway I have to thank @nigelthecuber for the new PB because he was the one who mentioned the Ortega Pi case algorithm (which is also a EG-1 alg), and I got a scramble today with that case.

I also did 3 4x4 timed solves this week, I'm going to have to do more in the future.
As I said before, my 4x4 times aren't very good, but I got a personal best this weekend, a 1:09.121 (I know it sucks right)
But it is a big improvement from my average which is 1:20-30.
Also my luck for 4x4 is too bad, almost every time i solve a 4x4 I get double parity. The 1:09 solve was no parity so that was pretty lucky.

Imsoosm

Did a few more 4x4 solves, and got a new pb: 1:04.188.
Due to the suckiness of my 4x4, there were a ton of lockups, and with my bad luck, I got OLL parity. The edge pairing went really quickly though. Without these problems it would definitely be sub-1. That's my pb goal for 4x4 right now anyway.

I feel like whenever I get a good scramble the edge pairing goes well but then I get double parity. When I get a bad scramble and edge pairing takes 1 minute, I get no parity. :( But anyway, here are stats for 4x4 so far (all pbs):
pb: 1:04.188
AO5: 1:14.456
AO12: 1:20.993
Mean: 1:22.177

Improvement from before, which was 1:30-40 average.

Imsoosm

FIRST SUB-10 AO5!!! :)
A lot of lucky solves, and the crosses are mainly pretty easy so I could predict the next pair.
I'm not sure when I will actually be sub-10 though, might take a few months.
This average was mainly due to luck.

Anyway, here are the times and scrambles:
Generated by CubeDesk on 2022-04-10
Average of 5: 9.681

Solves:
1. 9.380 B2 D' B2 U' F2 U' F2 R2 U L2 R2 U' L F L2 D2 B' U B' D L U'
2. 8.240 F2 L2 F2 L' B2 L' F2 L F2 R B2 R U' B' R B2 L2 B' D' U B2
3. 10.056 U2 B2 L2 D2 B2 D B2 U R2 D' L2 U L' B U' R' B U2 B2 R D2 R
4. 12.330 F R L' D F L U2 R' D' R' F2 U' R2 F2 U' L2 F2 D L2 B2 U2 F2
5. 9.607 L U2 L' U' R2 D2 F D' F R U2 F2 R B2 L2 B2 L U2 D2 R' U2

Btw my mean of 411 solves is now sub-14 (13.825) :)

Last edited:

Imsoosm

I've been practicing a bit of virtual cube on CStimer (I've switched back to CS but I might still use CubeDesk from time to time) and I got a 58.094 PB. Mainly because I'm still not used to the keys so sometimes I have to open two CStimer tabs then switch to look at the keys lol.

Scramble:
F2 L2 U L2 D R2 U L2 D B2 U2 B' D2 U' B D2 B2 D L2 R'

During the weekly competitions last week I also got a 4x4 PB of 1:00.50. I want to quit cubing
But I was so close to sub-1 and if I had a better 4x4 it would probably have been a 50 sec.

I've been a bit more consistent on 3x3 now too, and I'm getting sub-10 a bit more frequently than before.

Last edited:

Imsoosm

New Virtual Cube PB!!
This thing is addicting. I just can't stop solving it.

Automatic CStimer Recon:

The link is very long lol.
I'm still not completely used to the virtual cube controls, so there are some repetitive moves.

EDIT:
AND I JUST GOT 31.138 MO3!!!
PLL skip on the last solve :D

EDIT EDIT:
I can't stop breaking PBs.
32.314 AO5.
OLL skip on the fourth solve. Why can't I have this kind of luck when I normally solve with hands...

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
New Single PB:
Insane rotaionless (almost) F2L

Recon:

Last edited:

Imsoosm

CStimer just gave me a 6 move LL skip 2x2 solve :D New PB!!

Generated By csTimer on 2022-04-19
single: 0.578

Time List:
1. 0.578 U' R F2 U R' U2 F U2 R2

There are two ways I found to solve this, one is orange bottom, the solution I used:
x' // inspection
R' U2 R U R' U // solve

This one is green bottom (7 move solution):
x z' // inspection
U' R U' R' U R U // solve

TPS wasn't very high, about 10.38, could've been a bit faster. This solve was pretty easy to one-look since the solution is so short.

Last edited:

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
CStimer just gave me a 6 move LL skip solve :D New PB!!

Generated By csTimer on 2022-04-19
single: 0.578

Time List:
1. 0.578 U' R F2 U R' U2 F U2 R2

There are two ways I found to solve this, one is orange bottom, the solution I used:
x' // inspection
R' U2 R U R' U // solve

This one is green bottom (7 move solution):
x z' // inspection
U' R U' R' U R U // solve

TPS wasn't very high, about 10.38, could've been a bit faster. This solve was pretty easy to one-look since the solution is so short.
Nice. I thought that was 3x3 for a second and thought you got UWR but no.
*Cries in not having a sub-1 2x2 single*

Imsoosm

New Virtual Cube PB: 22.738

Recon:

Got some wrong turns during F2L so it could've been faster.

Also I just somehow got 5 sub-30 virtual cube solves in a row. The good thing about virtual cubes are that there's no way you can lie about it. The timer only stops when you solve it.

Edit:
And I just got another PLL skip. sigh I never have this luck in normal solving lol

Edit Edit:
I just beat my newest PB by 0.3 seconds.

Great. I just nearly got a sub-20 but I got nervous and tapped the wrong move. DNF.

Last edited:

Imsoosm

So I've been doing some normal non-virtual solves today, and

I GOT AN LL SKIP SOLVE
Well it's kind of an LL skip because last pair I did a sledgehammer and LL was solved. What are the chances???
Anyway now this is my new PB

U' B R2 D2 U2 B' L2 U2 F D R B D2 R' B R2 D' L'

z2 // inspection
U2 R B L U L F' u // cross with weird fingertricks
U' R U R' U' R U' R' y' L' U' L // first pair (I actually don't know why I did the U' for the first move but I'm glad that I did because I got LL skip :))
U' R U2 R' U R U' R' // second pair
U L U' L' U L U' L // third pair
y U2 R U' R' U R' F R F' // fourth pair
U2 // AUF

45 STM in 5.794 seconds // 7.76 tps
Beat my old PB by almost a second.

Imsoosm

Got a sub-8 fullstep!!
Previous sub-8~9 solves all have skips or easy x-cross.

Generated By csTimer on 2022-04-28
single: 7.851

Time List:
1. 7.851 D2 U' R2 U' F2 R2 F2 U2 L F' D' B F2 U' F2 R' F2 U2 R' U'

z2 x' // inspection
U' l' F // cross
R' D' R U' R' D R U R U' R2 D R U' R' D' R // first and second pairs
U' L U L' // third pair
U' R' U' R U R' U' R U R' U' R // fourth pair
U' F R U R' U' R U R' U' F' // OLL
R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' // PLL

60 moves in 7.851 seconds // 7.64 TPS

First and second pairs were really nice, I used the RUD commutator for first pair and I could predict where the second pair corner would be, then I used the CLS alg for that case because I didn't want to cube rotate.

I love J perms

Imsoosm

According to Rubiks Fandom, the unofficial world record for 1x1 is 0.02 seconds.
I beat that today on cstimer with 0.007.

Generated By csTimer on 2022-04-29
single: 0.007

Time List:
1. 0.007 x' z y x y2 z' x2 y x2 y2 x2 z' y x z' x2 y2 z x y2 z y' x2 z2 y'

Next goal is to get a 0.006 single and a 0.007 average.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
According to Rubiks Fandom, the unofficial world record for 1x1 is 0.02 seconds.
I beat that today on cstimer with 0.007.

single: 0.007

Time List:
1. 0.007 x' z y x y2 z' x2 y x2 y2 x2 z' y x z' x2 y2 z x y2 z y' x2 z2 y'

Next goal is to get a 0.006 single and a 0.007 average.
dang you are fast at 1x1. race to sub 0.007 average?

Imsoosm

dang you are fast at 1x1. race to sub 0.007 average?
Yeah sure. I have ao5 0.008 and ao12 0.008 as well.
And I got really lucky on this scramble, it was really easy CFOP skip.
Finally a 0.006.

single: 0.006

Time List:
1. 0.006 y' x' y2 x2 y' z' x' z' y x z' x y z2 y2 x' z' y' z y2 x y2 x y x'

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah sure. I have ao5 0.008 and ao12 0.008 as well.
And I got really lucky on this scramble, it was really easy CFOP skip.
Finally a 0.006.

single: 0.006

Time List:
1. 0.006 y' x' y2 x2 y' z' x' z' y x z' x y z2 y2 x' z' y' z y2 x y2 x y x'
what 1x1 do you use?