• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Impact of the year 2020 on the cubing community

abunickabhi

Staff member
WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The year 2020 has been inactive in terms of the number of competitions being held throughout the 109 countries. Given that the second world championships was just a decade and half ago, speedcubing is new and evolving activity, and losing one whole year might be significant factor in determining the future course speedcubing might takes.

Personally, I always needed some long vacation or a break as an incentive to take up the cube and start learning newer methods and improve myself (2008-2013 period, which was before my first WCA competition). Over the last 6 years or so, I have seen many new cubers join, and many old cubers quit in a cycle of a few years. So, there is always the flux in the community participation.

Will the participation and enthusiasm increase in the coming years, or will some of the current batch of serious competitors would take a permanent hiatus (and move on to other hobbies/career) and we will get to see a newer batch of cubers who got inspired during this “lockdown” period, to take up speedcubing?

Reference: https://forum.worldcubeassociation.org/t/impact-of-the-year-2020-on-the-cubing-community/10136

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think cubing will only grow. I've seen so many new members here who got into cubing over the lockdowns because it's a fun activity you can do at home without being near other people, and I haven't seen evidence of many cubers stopping.

RoundUpCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont think 2020 will have any negative impact on the community.
No comps != no cubers
A lot of these new cubers from quarantine (myself included)
Have never been to a comp, therefore arent missing them yet, as they have never experienced them. Thats how i feel at least.