• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I'm thinking about lubing my cube...

I've been speed cubing for a little more than two weeks, I should be getting my white DIY cube from Cube4You soon, and I think I want to lube it. I just wanted to know how much of a difference I should expect, also take into consideration that the cube I'm using now is just a plain old one from Target, nothing extra was done to it besides cleaning it every now and then. Is there anything else I should know about lubing it before I do? My current best time is 1:22 my average is about 1:38.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Once you put it together, and adjust the tension on the sides using the center screws, you might want to try it without lube. I recently tightened by screws pretty tight and lubed it and I really like it. Mess around with it a bit. You will notice that silicone spray will REALLY loosen the cube, so you might want to mess around with multiple things. Have fun ;)

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should notice a couple of seconds immediately, but it all depends on your cubing style right now. If you cannot do finger tricks now because you cube is to stiff, you might see a 20 seconds improvement on a cube that allows you to do finger tricks after you have gotten used to it. This happened to me once I got my 5x5x5 loose enough to do finger tricks. I now have a 2:21 non-lucky best time B)

pyrotek7x7

At the time I lubed my cube, I jumped from 1:45 in time to about 1:30. It really helped after I broke it in for an hour (It was a little sticky at first)

Silicone spray worked great though. :) Graphite powder does as well, but that only lasts for a few hours.

dhoyda

When you lube a cube (Silicon Spray) should you lube the Core also? Or not spray any on the white tubular looking piece in the core?

pyrotek7x7

I wouldn't, it may damage it, though I'm not positive on that.

Unless you're looking for a super-loose cube, you just need to lube the edge and corner pieces, not the core.