• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Identifying crosses

Mental2k

Hi,

Firstly I've searched on the forum for this but it's returning too many results. So anyway, I have finally got under 1 minute using a very basic method. So I wanna go gung ho toward speed cubing now. The first thing I have to learn is forming the cross on the bottom layer. Now the problem I'm having is how to pick a good cross. Should I just pick any cross and try it, until I get a feel for it, or is there a particular way to idetify good crosses right from the off?

Any help appreciated.

Alex

dabest2500

Are you colour neutral?
What method do you want to learn?
Also, do you know how to form a cross on the bottom yet?

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Form the easiest cross you see. Whether it's white, red, blue, green, it doesn't matter. Learn on all cross colors, thats called Color Neutrality. A very handy skill to have. To learn how to proficciently form your cross on the bottom search badmephisto on YouTube and watch his cross tutorials. From there go on to learn intuitive F2L. Once again badmephisto is the place to go for a good guide. Alternatively I have heard that RiDo's F2L tutorial is good as well. That too, is available on YouTube. After that you should learn 2-look OLL and PLL. Badmephisto has a video for this as well. That should keep you occupied for a few weeks. Once you have learned, practiced, and gotten good at all of those things learn full PLL and full OLL. That won't be for a while down the road but any questions you have you can post in the One Answer Question Thread.

cyoubx

YouTube
cyoubx
Cross is definitely the most intuitive step. The videos suggested above are great resources, but nothing will be more beneficial than just doing it.

The color doesn't matter. However, do realize most tutorials use white as the cross color as default.

For general improvement, try this and this

I totally misread gung ho as guhong haha.

Last edited:

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Cross is definitely the most intuitive step. The videos suggested above are great resources, but nothing will be more beneficial than just doing it.

The color doesn't matter. However, do realize most tutorials use white as the cross color as default.

For general improvement, try this and this

I totally misread gung ho as guhong haha.
Same lol

maggot

The easiest way to identify a good cross for a beginner is how many pieces are already finished and how many pieces can be put in the cross layer in one move... this means, for cross on bottom, pieces that are on the bottom layer but not flipped, pieces on the 2nd layer, and pieces that are in the top layer facing up, not on the side... even more basic and simple is, cross pieces on the bottom layer in the correct way, and pieces in the top layer facing up. This makes forming the cross easy because you would only be using moves like R2 to bring pieces from the top to the bottom and D moves to move the cross pieces into their solved position.

Mental2k

lol, I've been solving the cube for years, only really decided to go in for real speed cubing recently (also sometimes I'll just take a break from 3x3x3 for a couple of months to fool around with 4-7s). I'll take a good look at the vids. Definitely colour neutral. I have slowish recognition, because I have always taken my time inspecting the cube, I've been averaging sub 1.15 for about 2 years, solving the cross on the top. Decided to get under a minute before I did cross on bottom, and took the plunge today. I think part of the problem is I'm very set in my ways, so it was confusing me putting it on the bottom.

Took a little while earlier inspecting the cube scrambled then solving the cross on the bottom with my eyes closed, then re-scramble. I was planning on following the CFOP route with intuitive F2L. Thanks for the advice guys. I'm sure I'll get faster in time. I'm in no hurry to learn, just needed a pointer in the right direction. Thanks again.

cyoubx

YouTube
cyoubx
Cross on top can be fast :D

Actually, I did cross on front for awhile haha. The location of the cross is less important for now, but there's certainly no harm in starting to solve it on D.