• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Idea/request: BLD scramble generator

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Hi all,

I just had an idea, and I've searched the forum, but I don't think it exists.

I thought maybe it would be nice to have a scramble generator that allows you to practice specific situations in BLD solving. The idea is that practice can be more effective if you target specific skills.

Examples:
- For people who learn BH, the possibility to configure specific 3-cycles that you want to practice in a real solve
- Configure number of (unbalanced) 2-cycles to practice those
- Configure the number of pieces in place, but twisted
- For beginners: Edges / corners only (number of pieces configurable)

Is anyone interesting it making this?

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure Prisma puzzle timer got what you ask. At least it has edge only scrambling, corner only scrambling and I think (if my memory is ok) it also has 3-cycle scrambling.

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Hi Chrisalead,

I'll check it out.

Btw, by 3-cycle scrambling, do you mean it gives random 3 cycles?

What I mean by this feature would be for example, that you can define what your buffer is, and select multiple cases from a list of 21*18 cases (for corners). The program should then generate scrambles that include as many of the selected cases as possible.

Edit: Checked it out.. Looks like a good program. It has some of the options I suggested (edges or corners only), but I'd like it to go a little further than that.

Last edited:

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
I thought about something very similar some time ago, but I've never gotten around to actually writing it. But I still think it would be of great use.
My main idea was creating "bad" bld scrambles, e.g. ones with 2-cycles and twisted pieces, but being able to specify a subset of cases to practise the corresponding algs could be very helpful too.

evogler

WCA
2012VOGL01
Sounds like a cool idea. I'll just toss in, I'd like a program to translate between scramble and letter-based memo. Then you could practice execution with pre-generated memo, or practice memo and check it against the program.