• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I wish there would be some competitions in Texas

Whyusosrs?

Second time I've seen a topic about people wishing there was more competitions in Texas. There is a large cubing base in Texas. How long have you been waiting for a competition? They had one in October, if I remember correctly (small cubes open, right?)

ZamHalen

In your kitchen.Where do you keep your toaster?
WCA
2014ZAMO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They were trying to find something in Dallas the last time I talked to Anthony.I'm also looking around in South Texas just in case they don't find anything elsewhere. There are actually quite a few competitions in Texas. there just haven't been as many as usual. I honestly don't know much else but you should keep an eye on the competitions section .

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
They were trying to find something in Dallas the last time I talked to Anthony.I'm also looking around in South Texas just in case they don't find anything elsewhere. There are actually quite a few competitions in Texas. there just haven't been as many as usual. I honestly don't know much else but you should keep an eye on the competitions section .

Shelley and I have already exchanged e-mails regarding when she might be able to come and I have found a decent venue with a bit of an issue. Just hang tight and wait.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OMG, I wish there were more competitions in Texas, too!

You see, the problem is that our delegate basically vanished and he used to get most of our venues. The last two competitions took place in South Texas, where I live, because I got tired of waiting for a venue further north. I have absolutely no problem with travelling to Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc to compete (that's soooo much closer than many of the competitions I've been to). However, I can't get a venue up there. I could get us a suitable venue in the area I live anytime, but the problem is that many of you are either lazy/not as spoiled as me so you won't/can't travel all the way down here to compete and we end up with only 20 or so competitors. While that's more than enough people to fit the regulations' requirement, Tyson still doesn't like that (and neither do I). It would make more sense to have it in a major city where we can get 40-60 competitors.

If someone can get us a cheap, suitable venue in a major city, I'll take care of the rest.

For the time being, I'm competing in New York in two weeks and Italy during Spring Break, so you may want a competition here more badly than I do. Make it happen and we'll be best buddies. <3 :D

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But because we're already best buddies, I only desire a competition to be held where I live and no place. However, you have no problem with this yourself, and therefore it's all good.
And I say that to say this: The next Texas competition is a work in progress for Dallas.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i live north of austin and i found a cubing club in the university of texas but they havent had a contest in texas since before summer last year and the most recent one was in oklahoma in august or september i think.

Yeah, that club is the "TSC." I got in touch with Doug, Alex and Sapan a few years ago and we started organizing official Texas competitions. However, none of them cube anymore and it's pretty much dead.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've got an idea. We should start a new club like TSCA: Texas Speedcubing Alliance.(Or you could use any other name I just like using the word alliance in organization/ club names.
Should we use my idea? Probably not.
Is there a better idea?
We could try reviving TSC and spark new interest.

I'm moving to Michigan in a matter of months, so I'm only good for organizing/helping organize 2, maybe 3 more Texas comps max. Idk who's going to "take over" tbh... I was never really even in control, I just cared enough to make things happen when they needed to. Somebody's gotta' step it up.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hopefully everything will be worked on and we'll be having a Dallas competition in a couple of months, and at the very least we need 1 competition in this summer.
As far as going on without Anthony, we'll... find a way. Or Weston could move here.

Regarding TSC: As far as I'm concerned, all Texas competition are TSC, at least they are if Anthony's involved in any way. :p I think we should stick with that, as long as Sapan doesn't mind us using the term when he's not involved in the competition. We'll figure that one out in due time.

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what u gotta do is get ur friends into it. teach them how to solve a 3x3 and convince them to go bigger and better. the more people there to compete the better chances of there being more competitions - that and getting WCA to make a new delegate down here.