• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I want to start growing my collection...

MangoTangoFox

So Far I have:

Store-bought Rubik's
Keychain Rubik's
Lan Lan 2x2
Mini YJ 3x3
2 Guhongs (White & 6-Color)
Shengshou 4x4
Shengshou 5x5

I have seen recent reviews on the Wittwo 2x2, and I want to get it.
But I thought I might as well get a few more cubes with my order...

I'm not sure the Zhanchi would even be worth the $15, as both of my guhongs are fully modded and amazing. I really don't want to invest in more 3x3s unless there is a notable improvement anyway. So 3x3s are out.

I have been thinking of getting a Megaminx and Pyraminx, which brands/versions should I get?

Finally, is there any puzzles that are interesting/fun and inexpensive ($5-15) puzzles that would be worth getting? There are so many non-NxNxN cubes, I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks, ~Mango

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
I would advice to get cubes you don't own but you think is interesting, such as the helicopter cube, skewb etc. more different puzzles makes it easier to find the puzzle preference you have.
But in the end it's up to you, if you want a collection of 40+ different puzzles or have 40+ different 3x3x3's is not a question for me to answer

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
3x3 shape mods are relatively easy to solve, fun and cheap. They usually go for about 4-10 dollars in most shops.

Don't be fooled by all the strange shapes/cuts! If you can solve a 3x3 you can solve a master pyramorphix, a dodecahedron, a Trebjer's Cube or an axis cube, among many many others 3x3 mods.

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of getting the ZhanChi, just get the GuHong anchors. Then it will be like a ZhanChi. For megaminx, get the QJ Megaminx V2. It's cheap and still kind of good. And for Pyraminx, get the QJ, because it's still cheap and good. But you have to tension it.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Rubiks 2x2x4 is fun. Make sure to take it apart and lube it if you get one though. You only need one new alg to solve it;

[(R2 D) R2 U (R2 D')] [R2 D R2 (U' D)] [(R2 D) R2 D2 R2].

The rest is 2x2x2 stuff with a brief 4x4x4 interlude.

The cool thing is; if you show someone how to solve it and recite the algs, you are inevitably educating them and satisfying your own StarWars fetish at the same time. Win! :tu...

Man that alg looks messy...me no good at notation :( Or efficient algs come to think...

Last edited: