• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] I need help switching to roux!

Do you use Roux?

• Total voters

ECSCubed

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, I have been cubing for 6 1/2 months and am sub 18 with CFOP, I am looking to change methods, but have not found any great tutorials for roux, Everyone recomended Waffle, but his website is down : am planning on using all of the algoriths on Kian's website being that he is God of Roux. If you could give me any tips or a basic runthrough of a good roux method solve that would be greatly appreciated!

Here are things I need tips on :
- My first 2 blocks are VERY inneficiant, I am just using F2L
- I dont know ANY CMLL'S
- My L6E is HORRENDOUS

Every tip is greatly appreciated!
- ECSCubed

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
to get better at first two blocks, it may help to watch some example solves or find reconstructions in the reconstruction database. a lot of it is intuitive so a general roux tutorial will be very limited in teaching first two blocks.

Reactions: TDM

ECSCubed

YouTube
Visit Channel
to get better at first two blocks, it may help to watch some example solves or find reconstructions in the reconstruction database. a lot of it is intuitive so a general roux tutorial will be very limited in teaching first two blocks.
Thanks for the input! Would you consider making more walkthrough solves on your channel? If not it's fine! :D

efattah

If you have trouble with classic Roux L6E, you can use LMCF L5E which is way faster to learn and equally fast to execute. Just solve (intuitively) either UR or UL, then perform the orientation step by only looking at the top 3 facelets. Check the LMCF document for full description.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you have trouble with classic Roux L6E, you can use LMCF L5E which is way faster to learn and equally fast to execute. Just solve (intuitively) either UR or UL, then perform the orientation step by only looking at the top 3 facelets. Check the LMCF document for full description.
Considering I learned and have taught several people to do LSE in under an hour I would seriously dispute this claim. Also, you would perhaps need to compare the number of pieces solved/time rather than just purely the time

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to post one or two reconstructions too, we may be able to suggest more efficient block solutions for you. Same for LSE.

You can carry on using 2-look CMLL for now, though many of the algs are actually easy OLLs or COLLs, so you might know quite a few already. You could look through some CMLL lists, and if you see something you recognise, learn the case it solves!

efattah

Considering I learned and have taught several people to do LSE in under an hour I would seriously dispute this claim. Also, you would perhaps need to compare the number of pieces solved/time rather than just purely the time

It's surely possible to learn Roux LSE in half an hour. I'm more talking about which method is easier to master. Give someone 24 hours with Roux LSE or LMCF L5E and I'm pretty sure they will get better faster at L5E since it requires far less mastery of lookahead. Any beginner with Roux LSE will have to tilt the cube to see the D face to check edge orientation, and 4b will be a little confusing for them even if they know how to do it. L5E only requires you to look at the top face for the edge orientation case and doesn't have the more complex 4b step. I believe Crafto switched from Roux L6E to LMCF L5E even though he had already mastered the former.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's surely possible to learn Roux LSE in half an hour. I'm more talking about which method is easier to master. Give someone 24 hours with Roux LSE or LMCF L5E and I'm pretty sure they will get better faster at L5E since it requires far less mastery of lookahead. Any beginner with Roux LSE will have to tilt the cube to see the D face to check edge orientation, and 4b will be a little confusing for them even if they know how to do it. L5E only requires you to look at the top face for the edge orientation case and doesn't have the more complex 4b step. I believe Crafto switched from Roux L6E to LMCF L5E even though he had already mastered the former.
Again I disagree. One of the nice things about LSE is that it only needs the ability to track within a very limited moveset. If you are given the 24 hours anyone using LSE would definitely have stopped looking at the D layer to identify bad edges and be able to solve ULUR with no confusion. LMCF on the other hand requires quite a few algorithms to be learned, none of which are present in LSE (I personally have learned one "algorithm" for LSE- MUM' and worked out all the solving from there) and beginners will struggle to learn the number of algorithms needed for algorithmic L5E in that same 24 hour time span.

ECSCubed

YouTube
Visit Channel
Again I disagree. One of the nice things about LSE is that it only needs the ability to track within a very limited moveset. If you are given the 24 hours anyone using LSE would definitely have stopped looking at the D layer to identify bad edges and be able to solve ULUR with no confusion. LMCF on the other hand requires quite a few algorithms to be learned, none of which are present in LSE (I personally have learned one "algorithm" for LSE- MUM' and worked out all the solving from there) and beginners will struggle to learn the number of algorithms needed for algorithmic L5E in that same 24 hour time span.
Yeah, I decided to go with LSE, is it all intuitive? Or is there algorithms, sort of like F2L?

Rahul Tirkey

So, I have been cubing for 6 1/2 months and am sub 18 with CFOP, I am looking to change methods, but have not found any great tutorials for roux, Everyone recomended Waffle, but his website is down : am planning on using all of the algoriths on Kian's website being that he is God of Roux. If you could give me any tips or a basic runthrough of a good roux method solve that would be greatly appreciated!

Here are things I need tips on :
- My first 2 blocks are VERY inneficiant, I am just using F2L
- I dont know ANY CMLL'S
- My L6E is HORRENDOUS

Every tip is greatly appreciated!
- ECSCubed
I am sub20 with cfop method & I avarage around 20-22 seconds with roux method with pb 15 seconds , most important thing is that block buildings, you should not think about f2l while you making your first block, because when I switched to roux, it happened to me

Rahul Tirkey

Yeah, I decided to go with LSE, is it all intuitive? Or is there algorithms, sort of like F2L?
It is all intuitive but you can memorize few algorithms for LSE[4 (c)], I do LSE intuitively in 5 seconds

Last edited:

SolemnAttic

Walktrough solves are the best way to go. LSE.... Just learn what MUM' does and the rest is intuitive. For CMLL you do have to memorise them...its not much.

Teoidus

Learn 2GR instead then ragequit 2 weeks into drilling 2GLine. Suddenly all other methods will seem very easy by comparison and learning will be gr8/8