• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I hate signatures that fill up my screen...

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wish he would get bored with his joke already. C'mon, Lucas - you shouldn't have 5x5x5 multiBLD in your sig until you've at least gotten one! (Although I don't see Square-1 BLD in your sig - why not? And how about that OH FMC UWR of yours?)
It was for just until today... and yes, I had forgotten, good point.
I don't really want to add arbitrary rules and make the forum more convoluted, but can we have a highly recommended limit of 5 lines of records or so? If people have more, they can link to a page...
I don't want to disable signatures in my options (and I like being able to see records), but I like them to tell me just the important things a user wants to convey.:)

Johannes91

I think 4 is a rather common (and good) limit for signatures.

Last edited:

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
I think 1 line of sig is more than enough.

I hate it when you have to search for the actual content of a post... It's not that bad on this forum, but I like to keep it that way. I don't see why anyone would need more than 1 line.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think 1 line of sig is more than enough.

I hate it when you have to search for the actual content of a post... It's not that bad on this forum, but I like to keep it that way. I don't see why anyone would need more than 1 line.

I do. As I said in a different post, my signature is my only way to keep up with my best times.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know, I don't care if you have a one-line signature, or a five-line. Why?

Because the profiles are HUGE! Look at Dene's post two posts above mine (note I don't mean to criticize him at all, I'm just using it as an example). His signature is six lines in a small font right now. For those of you who think that's too much, look at the rest of his post block - half of it is empty space! Does it really matter that signatures often take up a few lines, when the profiles are so big they make the page twice as high? Sure, Lucas's profile (and mine as well) was an example of going to extremes, but if the limits were reasonable, say 4 lines max, 500 characters max, no images, and no fonts over size 12, I really don't think it would cause a problem.

If you're not always going to post long posts, it doesn't really matter how big your signature is, because it's dead space anyway. Besides, people read from top to bottom, so if the signature is below the post, and it is, it shouldn't really be a problem. If you're looking for something specific in a topic you can always use Ctrl+F for find (or your computer's equivalent), which is faster than manually searching anyway. If you ARE going to make a long post, the signature is just a tiny bit of the content, so again an extra three lines won't make much of a difference.

I do agree with Stefan, that a shorter signature is generally more polite / better. But that doesn't mean that everyone should be forced to have a very short one; there are plenty of forums, even more readable than this one, that allow multi-line sigs.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Funny how you pick me to agree with when several others said it before me. Btw, I also turned off avatars, made the profiles much smaller and the page download faster.