• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I don't get roman rooms

aronpm

Basically, you have a house in your head. It could be your own house, a house you've made up, whatever. You mentally walk through the house and the rooms, and you imagine ('place') items in parts of the house. When you want to recall, you start walking through again and remember the items.

I don't know how many items people put in a single room, but you could have an item on the bookcase, next to TV, on the coffee table, etc.

It works based on the human brain's need to have good visual memory of locations so that we don't get lost, IIRC.

aronpm

It depends on how big you want to make your image list.

If you do 1 item for 1 sticker, you have 24 images.
If you do 1 item for 2 sticker, you have 552 (I think) images.
If you do 1 item for 3 sticker, you have 12,144 (I think) images.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use 1 item for 2 stickers and I just make the images up as I go along.

aronpm

so would you memorize in your head for example (DOOR KNOB, LAPTOP, LIGHT SWITCH) (CUPBOARD, TV, SHOES, CUPBOARD)

No. Say for example the letters are DK LP LI CP TV SH.
The images for those might be: donkey kong, LP record, light bulb, cops, tv, shrek.

You might start in your bedroom and see a Donkey Kong game on your TV, then you check on top of your drawer and see an LP record. It goes on like that.

I don't use roman rooms any more (I use journeys, it's similar, but different :p).

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I sorta get it now. So there are 6 sides of a cube and each side is a different room right.

No, it is not related to the geometry of the cube. You could memorise a cube or a string of numbers or a deck using the technic. Roman room (or journey - for me it is the same thing) is a path through a place you know well and where you mentally place items you want to recall. The path help to recall and to keep the right order of item. Basically, it is used to memorize an ordered list.

xXzaKerXx

Right, so in my lettering scheme, the string of letters are: GL IE VR IA TA, and remembering that the UL and BR edge has to be flipped. I memorise in pairs for M2 (almost everyone does). So I walk into my room (or house or wherever you prefer or is familliar to you). Then I see a GLoom (pokemon) sitting on my couch. Moving on, I see an Internet Explorer icon (IE) hovering above that Gloom. After that, I spot a motorbike (VRoom) beside my TV set. Next I walk upstairs, I see IAn, a friend s***ing in my toilet with the door wide open, and lastly, I find myself stepping into a pool of TAr. Or something like that. Flipped edges can be memorised visually. This is not exactly my list of word I use to do BLD, I just made them up. You should make your own list that is familliar to you. As for Multi, one room per cube is recommended, like the first cube is your front yard, second is living room, 3rd is storeroom etc.

rock1313

WCA
2012HAMA03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right, so in my lettering scheme, the string of letters are: GL IE VR IA TA, and remembering that the UL and BR edge has to be flipped. I memorise in pairs for M2 (almost everyone does). So I walk into my room (or house or wherever you prefer or is familliar to you). Then I see a GLoom (pokemon) sitting on my couch. Moving on, I see an Internet Explorer icon (IE) hovering above that Gloom. After that, I spot a motorbike (VRoom) beside my TV set. Next I walk upstairs, I see IAn, a friend s***ing in my toilet with the door wide open, and lastly, I find myself stepping into a pool of TAr. Or something like that. Flipped edges can be memorised visually. This is not exactly my list of word I use to do BLD, I just made them up. You should make your own list that is familliar to you. As for Multi, one room per cube is recommended, like the first cube is your front yard, second is living room, 3rd is storeroom etc.

why can't you say motorbike as MOtorbike (MO)

xXzaKerXx

I can't really think of anything associated with VR. And using all five senses helps recall images better, like imagining yourself sniffing Gloom's awful stench in your living room or the feel of sticky and warm tar at your feet.

peedu

why can't you say motorbike as MOtorbike (MO)

You can.

You have 2 options:

1) Come up with words/images on a fly when memorizing. (There is also plan B in case you can not come up with the word - just remember 2 letters among items/persons etc.)
2) Create your own list of words/images and learn it by heart. That way you don't need to make up words during memorization.
It takes some time to make a list of 552 letter combinations and learn it. (Some combinations can be skipped if you plan on doing just 3x3 BLD - the ones that include buffers). You can just take a paper and a pen right now and write: MO - MOtorbike.

Nobody else will be able to make a list for you, because you will use words/names that are familiar only to you - friends names for example.
You associate MO with motorbike, but I use a character from a kids song. It won't help you, because you don't know the song. You don't know estonian language either. ;)

Peedu

Last edited:

hr.mohr

WCA
2007CHRI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
roman rooms is a technique to help you memorize something in a specific order. It's easier to remember a route, especially if the room is very familiar to you, compared to just remembering each item in succession.