• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

html email is badly formatted

dan41

hi,

Using latest thunderbird.

Daily digest are ok, but the instant notification emails of a given thread is badly formatted when viewing as html. I have to view as plain text to get the hyper links to work.

This is not hapenning on 2 other sites using vBulletin, so something is broken in the email format being sent from here.

You can make an account on hotmail and use pop3 to pull it out with thunderbird, you'll see.

I searched my account settings but there is nothing to set about the email format preferred.

This is really annoying, since I cannot click the links in the email, until I view as plain text (surprisingly the opposite of common sense, because thunderbird is smart enough to detect links). Howver, this thunderbird setting is global and breaks the viewing of every other emails! So it cannot stay active, thus causing me to constantly flip viewing mode because of that bug.

dan41

Can you post a screenshot, and also let me know which notifications specifically have this bug?

Also, what daily digest are you referring to?

the thread is https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ollection-of-Algorithms&p=1055469#post1055469

the email look as this:Clipboard01.jpg

By te way, the notification for THIS thread was formatted fine! This should help finding the differences.

Daily email digests: well, dunno how else to say it. That's pretty obvious... when you subscribe to a forum (not a thread) you get all the new and edited posts since last day (usually not long after at 19h00 EST). (could be set as weekly too). Isn't that what just everybody uses? (perhaps they prefer loosing their life checking their phone every 15 minutes... I wouldn't be surprised... :p )

Anyway, maybe it is some unbalanced html or bad data escaping, hope that can be fixed easily (and perhaps close security vulnerabilities...)

brian724080

I agree - PM's formatting are pretty bad too because there are no line breaks between quotes.

dan41

I would check if it is correlated to posts that contain urls or attempts to write html tags, which might trip the escaper on sever side.

I suspect that with two email accounts you can write post, thus notification, to yourself, in a private test section...?

on the test list, I would put:
* wellformed url
* malformed urls
* tags for quotes, images, videos, spoilers, etc.
* the special cube tag?
* attempts to place < > or actual lower-than greater-than symbols, in a balanced and/or unbalanced way (hackers? not really, but bad copy paste for some place...)
* some special tags for cube algorithm? This "feels" correlated to posts with algos in them, but let's not be mislead by feelings...
* check for vbulletin regressions, this is 4.2.2 and I use another site with 4.2.0 which is fine.