• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] How to do M moves like a pro

Sarge

WCA
2012GARN02
For M2 I use left hand middle then ring.
For U2 I use left hand index then middle.
I'm left handed, but for some reason left-handed algs don't flow as well for me. But I've started learning some anyway (or at least the inverses of right hand algs) so I don't have to learn as many PLLs.

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
left-handed algs don't flow as well for me. But I've started learning some anyway (or at least the inverses of right hand algs) so I don't have to learn as many PLLs.
How many PLL's does that save you , Rb, Jb and Nb? All others you can just reverse other algorithms, if you really don't want to better ones.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
But I've started learning some anyway (or at least the inverses of right hand algs) so I don't have to learn as many PLLs.
That might make it easier to remember the moves the first few times you practice the alg, but ultimately you're still training different finger movements and muscle memory and putting the same amount of effort into that. So why not invest that effort in the best algs?

fatool

Can you still do stuff like M2 U2 well like that
I definitely can, but it always takes practice and it's personal preference. I do an H perm in about a second. (I'm guessing you're a roux solver, in case you didn't know, an H perm is M2 U M2 U2 M2 U M2)

sergei740

I saw a video of someone easily gliding his m slice. Mine locks up, and I'm not even really sure which fingers to use for that. Any suggestions or help?

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I saw a video of someone easily gliding his m slice. Mine locks up, and I'm not even really sure which fingers to use for that. Any suggestions or help?

The way I do it is with my right ring finger, I push up from the bottom. It feels very awkward at first, but it gets faster and faster the more you use it.

EDIT: I thought he was talking specifically about the "M" move...

For M', use your ring finger to push from DB to DF. For M2, I double flick with my right ring and middle finger. I do the U moves with my left hand to make things more fluid. If you use your right hand for your U2, you should do M slice moves with your left hand. It's best not do to U2 and M2 with the same hand.

Last edited:

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Really the only way to be able to do h perms or z perms fast is to:

1. M2' doubleflick. Basically you take your right ring finger and put it on the BD sticker, and push up, and carry through with that motion with your right index. It should be one swift motion, as opposed to two separate finger motions.

2. Make sure you are doing M' and M2' from the bottom with your right finger(s) and doing your U layer work with your left. You can however, do the opposite, where you do M work with your left and U with your right, but I think M2s are more important, and easier to do with your right. Your choice though.

Marvin

He said he locks up so his cube might be hindering him, what cube do you use?
Some cubes have much easier M slices than others.

Imago

i guess for the M slice the most fastest is

the one with the Octacore i think the name is Gans
next is weilong v1 (seen mats valks doing mslice)

about 5BLD cube i dont know what it is