• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to solve the Rubik's cube under 15 seconds

Thread starter #1
How to solve the Rubik's cube in 15 seconds

Hello everyone, this is a compilation of some advices for speedcubers who are sub-20 with 3x3. This is not a tutorial of how to solve it. I have 2 years doing this and I know how hard is to brake the 20 seconds barrier, that's why I'm here to help you! I hope this can make it easier for you to average 15 seconds.

1. Solve your Cross in 1 - 1.5 seconds :
The cross is essential, if you have a bad cross your entire solve will be affected, take your time to practice your cross, practice doing slow turning. Also an advice from Felix Zemdegs : the cross always can be solved in 8 movements or less, try to solve your cross always in 8 movements

2.Get better in F2L : This is the step that takes more time, and the most iimportant, learn advanced ways for every case, solve it slowly to know what cases takes you the most time.

3. Full OLL and PLL : I know that there's a lot of algorithms but if you don't know every case, it will be super hard to average 15 seconds, imagine that you are doing a good solve but the oll is a case that you don't know, you would have to adapt it to another case to solve it, that would ruin the entire solve, remember, every second is important

4. Watch Example Solves: Look for example solves of people that's better than you, this will help you to have a different ideas or "tricks" when solving the cube, it can be the world record, ex world records or any other solve.

5. Start learning new sub-methods: There are some sub methods that can help you to skip an oll or pll, some examples are zbll, and winter variation, you can learn just the most common cases but it is not necessary.

6. Look ahead: the "look ahead" is basically trying to guess what your next movement is, you can get better doing it by solving the cube slowly, for example in the F2L you should know your next pair of corners and edges and solve them without stopping to look for them

7. X-Cross: the extended cross or x-cross is a little hard to get good at, but if you learn how to do it properly, your times will be better; before you solve the cross you have to look for your fisrt pair of F2L but NOTalways, sometimes is convenient and sometimes it could make you lose some time, the goal is to make your cross and fisrt F2L in the same step, without stopping.

There are more things that you can do, but I think that this is good information to average 15 seconds, keep your motivation and set your goals. I hope this helps you, thanks for reading.