• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Solve a Rubik's Cube [A Shorter Tutorial]

brandbest1

WCA
2011LINB01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Now, I know this is a Speedsolving forum, and nearly everyone here knows how to solve a Rubik's Cube. But this video was made so:
1. Non-cubers stop complaining that they don't have enough patience to learn how to solve a cube.
2. I can get some more feedback on my tutorials/videos.

I know that a shorter tutorial can be made, but this video covers nearly every case and people can still understand it.

Initially, I was reluctant to put this video here because it might generate some hate, but after some contemplation, I thought I would just put it here, like the rest of my cubing videos.

I would encourage you to share this with others that want to learn to cube!!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

RageCuber

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good video, but a shorter video will take longer to learn from than a short one.
It'e simply less to watch. But the viewers will make more mistakes and understand
less overall, due to the lack of specifics.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It helps to know what the letters stand for, like U="up". I recommend you mention it at least in the video description above the algs and maybe add an annotation to the video. Or is there a reason for not explaining it?

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I loved the video. Very well done. In fact, I was wondering how you like my instructions (which has very little English because so that it doesn't scare people away), because we seem to have a similar style.

The purpose of my written instructions is to be able to solve every case without having to think that much. :( :)

Last edited:

brandbest1

WCA
2011LINB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I loved the video. Very well done. In fact, I was wondering how you like my instructions (which has very little English because so that it doesn't scare people away), because we seem to have a similar style.

The purpose of my written instructions is to be able to solve every case without having to think that much. :( :)

The guide is great :) . The only disadvantage I see is the lack of notation, which could be difficult for people to grasp if they want to know how to solve the cube faster. I've tried helping a lot of people to get faster, and the fact that they don't know notation pains me.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Since when are you against thinking?

No seriously, I'm convinced people can solve at least the cross on their own, at least after telling them to do so and making them aware of the centers/edges/corners structure. And I encourage them to try. Actually seems odd to tell them in great detail how to do it.

Edit: Btw, why do you flip a cross edge in-place with six moves instead of four?

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The guide is great :) . The only disadvantage I see is the lack of notation, which could be difficult for people to grasp if they want to know how to solve the cube faster. I've tried helping a lot of people to get faster, and the fact that they don't know notation pains me.
Thanks! That is understandable. I just personally think that for someone who is just learning how to solve the cube for the first time (to get the confidence that he or she can solve it), instructions which do not force him or her to learn notation is probably better for him or her because this person might not be sure if he or she wants to get fast or even solve the cube again (some people just like to be able to solve it once; learning notation is unnecessary in this circumstance).

Since when are you against thinking?
You know I'm not, but I have no choice but to assume that people who have never solved a cube before are in that state of mind, regarding the cube, at least. If the solver is not in that state of mind, then I have no doubt he or she will quickly catch up with notation and learn some speedsolving methods.

No seriously, I'm convinced people can solve at least the cross on their own, at least after telling them to do so and making them aware of the centers/edges/corners structure. And I encourage them to try. Actually seems odd to tell them in great detail how to do it.
Although it may seem to be contradictory to my instructions, I agree with you, but these instructions were made for all audiences in mind. I'm sure everyone can quickly figure out a few algs for this step on their own, but I provided instructions to help tackle every case as a reference (if someone is having trouble doing a specific task, he or she can just see an alg to do it).

Edit: Btw, why do you flip a cross edge in-place with six moves instead of four?
Oh thanks. I made this change and updated the link in my previous post.

Last edited:

Blurry

But the viewers will make more mistakes and understand
less overall, due to the lack of specifics.

I feel that because of the mistakes they will learn better, maybe in longer time, but it would surely decrease the need to learn a certain case, if they already know it.