• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to reduce the pause between cross and first pair?

yourmother

hey everyone!
I have an horrible problem: after solving the cross i can't do the first F2L pair immediatly!
I usually take 3/4 seconds to recognize the first 2 pieces that i need and i really don t know how to avoid this problem! Any advice?
Thank you

Hodari

Use your inspection time to plan out your entire cross ahead of time and then while you're solving that, don't be watching what you're doing but instead look ahead and try to find at least the first f2l pair. Always try to be looking ahead to the next step rather than the one you are currently solving.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the same problem. You need to plan the cross during inspection and while solving the cross, look for an east first F2L lookahead. I'm not the first person to say this, and I certainly won't be the last, but slow down and look ahead. I need to do that. Go slower through the F2L, and then you can rely on higher TPS for the last layer. Doing the substep competitions will also help.

yourmother

Thank guys for all the answers, i already memorize the cross before starting but for the moment i really can t look at something else while doing it even if i know what i have to do. Is it only a time process? I mean is it gonna come naturally just practicing or i have to do something specific?

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
i already memorize the cross before starting but for the moment i really can t look at something else while doing it even if i know what i have to do.

Learn to do cross without looking.

Just practice this: Plan the cross, learn the moves, solve the cross blindfolded
The time you need for memo and solve doesn't matter, it will become faster with practice :)
That way it will become 'intuitive' to solve the cross without looking at the cross-pieces

skeletonboy

What I wanted to say, have been said above. Another thing is that, don't time yourself. Ignore that 15 second inspection and take as long as you want. The first time memorizing the cross may take time, but keep with it and keep practicing planning the cross and executing it blindfolded, then sooner or later with practice comes perfect.

TurtleSpeed

This is what I do:

During inspection, plan your cross and find the corner and edge for your first pair.
During the cross, you should be able to do it by memory from inspection, so track the corner and edge pieces.
Solve the F2L pair you were tracking, while looking ahead to the 2nd pair.

Dropped my time 5 seconds.

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Forget about inspection time, plan for as long as you can until you're sure you know where the first corner + edge you want to place will be.

Also, I like to do this: Make your cross, and do one move to change it. Inspect, and solve the cross plus one pair. Then do a NEW scramble, solve the cross, and do two moves, try to do that + 1 pair. Keep going until you're not fully consistent, and practice with x amount of moves done to the cross. This helped me a lot.