• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How To Get Your Average Down For The 3x3?

RubiksMathMaster

Premium Member
How do all of you usually have an average of around 30 seconds, i use the method that Dan Brown teachers (pogobat) or the beginner's method. Please tell me the method and if you can, post a video or a link on how to do it (tutorial), my record is 52.52 seconds with the method I am using.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, actually, a considerable amount of us don't average around 30 seconds...

There are many popular methods, including Fridrich, Roux, and Petrus. You can look those up on your own time.

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
D

Deleted member 2864

How do all of you usually have an average of around 30 seconds, i use the method that Dan Brown teachers (pogobat) or the beginner's method. Please tell me the method and if you can, post a video or a link on how to do it (tutorial), my record is 52.52 seconds with the method I am using.

you're the RubiksMathMaster, shouldn't you know

If you must know, here you go.

But seriously, if you really must have to be spoon fed how to do it, then I will give you steps...

1. Research!!! Is it that hard to google? You're lucky I didn't give you a lmgtfy link... :rolleyes:
2. Find a speedcubing method if you find yourself in a large barrier using your pogobat method. For me it was the minute mark when I learned fridrich f2l and I learned 2-look oll/pll at 50 seconds...
3. STOP complaining about how hard it is to lower your times... practice.
4. Try youtube for a good resource. We shouldn't even have give you a link. It's so obvious. You learned from pogobat, but have you seriously not noticed all the CFOP tutorials floating around in there? There's badmephisto for starters.

Not to mention that most of us are below 30 but that's irrelevant :p

This question has been asked before, too. Next time, I suggest you try using the search bar before starting a thread. There are some mean people around here that would flame you if you create such a thread, especially as you get more well known here.

Last edited by a moderator:

RubiksMathMaster

Premium Member

you're the RubiksMathMaster, shouldn't you know

If you must know, here you go.

But seriously, if you really must have to be spoon fed how to do it, then I will give you steps...

1. Research!!! Is it that hard to google? You're lucky I didn't give you a lmgtfy link... :rolleyes:
2. Find a speedcubing method if you find yourself in a large barrier using your pogobat method. For me it was the minute mark when I learned fridrich f2l and I learned 2-look oll/pll at 50 seconds...
3. STOP complaining about how hard it is to lower your times... practice.
4. Try youtube for a good resource. We shouldn't even have give you a link. It's so obvious. You learned from pogobat, but have you seriously not noticed all the CFOP tutorials floating around in there? There's badmephisto for starters.

Not to mention that most of us are below 30 but that's irrelevant :p

This question has been asked before, too. Next time, I suggest you try using the search bar before starting a thread.
wow thats awesome...anyway thank you for your advice :p

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
My fastest time with beginner method is 24 seconds, I averaged 32 somewhere around there with it. I learned Fridrich's method, full PLL and am learning OLL, I know 26 algorithms for it. I also learned intuitive F2L, and now my average is 24-25 seconds, and best time is 17.39 lucky, 18.xx non-lucky.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Practice. Put in the time. Eventually if you keep cubing consistently say, one year, you will start to realize that most people over analyze the whole thing, and more or less just need to practice. Repetition is what makes a cuber fast. I have done upwards of 10,000 3x3 solves. There is a direct correlation my friend.

grolich

Well, using the beginner's method as taught by Dan Brown is very slow. It's very good as an easy introduction into the world of cubing, but it's very bad for speedcubing.

I'm not interested in best times, they can be flukes (some scrambles are easier than others), averages are a lot more telling. If your average is around 1:00 or less with Dan Brown's system, you're already very fast, and switching to a better system would improve your times dramatically.

The system Dan Brown shows takes over 120 moves on average (sometimes, quite often, closer to 140 and more).

Compare to the Fridrich method (56 average number of moves).
or Roux(same order of magnitude, can be less than Fridrich. Depends).

I suggest doing what I do for the past week (since I learned that system from Dan Brown):

Gradually improve the system:
find ways to improve the last layer without learning fridrich's oll's and pll's, but by building on and improving the sequences he gives in the video (there are many easy ones, I'll be happy to help if you're having trouble).
Also, find a way to get rid of that ridiculously (potentially) long ending (R'D'RD * 1000) (there's more than one way).

then you can find many improvements to the cross - corners - 2nd layer with fewer steps without learning F2L.
Also, cross can be done EXTREMELY fast with very short training (avg number of moves - 6, and with little effort it can be done with ~11. the 11-7 range for the cross takes a lot longer though).

As you learn slight improvements, you can also practice on intuitive f2l (that would take time to do well), finger tricks, and other systems.

That's what I do, and it seems to be having good effects almost immediately.

OF course, trying to improve existing systems (such as the beginner's method) is also a marvelous way of learning to understand the cube.

VERY nice job if you can get below 1 minute average on that horribly long system. (That said, Dan Brown does explain it VERY well, which is part of the reason for people going for it immediately after watching the video).

Last edited: