• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to get some of your friends into cubing?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Guys,
I, like some other people I have met, have no close Cuber Friends. I try to convince my friends that Cubing is really fun, but all they do is either say it is a waste of time, or for literally 2 seconds they try one of my 3x3s and give up on the spot.:(
If anyone has any tricks to get more people into cubing, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.:)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't force people into something they're not interested in, find people that want to learn! If people are interested offer to teach them, stuff like that. At least that's how I make cubing friends at school (so far none of them have moved into CFOP though so use your own discretion.)
Thank you so much!! I just made plans to teach 2 of my friends how to solve a 2x2! Thank you so much.! I really apreciate the help. :)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
@Berd seems to have been quite successful at this but tbh, the vast majority of people won't take up cubing as a hobby. There are only a handful "serious" cubers that came from maybe 100 or so people who were ever interested. Maybe 20 of those learned to solve (the others couldn't be bothered and just like watching though they got bored), 5-7 started going for speed but only 3 of us remain a year later though we do seem to have slowed down in terms of how much we practise. Basically, I'm saying the type of people who may start speedcubing are quite rare though you may be able to tell who would prefer it (tendancy to obsess, develop fixation, like understanding of why/how things work/stereotypically seen as the smarter ones etc... Actually now I think about it, anyone on the higher end of being on the autistic spectrum without being bad enough to be properly diagnosed (I know a couple of doctors- part of the family- who said I personally display some traits fairly prominently though never enough for a diagnosis

YouTube
Visit Channel
@Berd seems to have been quite successful at this but tbh, the vast majority of people won't take up cubing as a hobby. There are only a handful "serious" cubers that came from maybe 100 or so people who were ever interested. Maybe 20 of those learned to solve (the others couldn't be bothered and just like watching though they got bored), 5-7 started going for speed but only 3 of us remain a year later though we do seem to have slowed down in terms of how much we practise. Basically, I'm saying the type of people who may start speedcubing are quite rare though you may be able to tell who would prefer it (tendancy to obsess, develop fixation, like understanding of why/how things work/stereotypically seen as the smarter ones etc... Actually now I think about it, anyone on the higher end of being on the autistic spectrum without being bad enough to be properly diagnosed (I know a couple of doctors- part of the family- who said I personally display some traits fairly prominently though never enough for a diagnosis
Cool! Thank you so much for the advise! =)

Joel2274

I've taught my cousin how to solve 2x2 and my brother, and about 5 other friends now know how to solve a 3x3, (because all 5 of their b-days are conveniently within 2 months so I bought them all Aolongs :p) Even though its an improvement getting some friends to learn the cube, they usually don't speedsolve it. One of the friends is learning CFOP, but very slowly and I doubt he's gonna get serious with it. However, I offered a few of them to go to my next comp with me and they were interested because I told them that there are puzzles beyond their wildest dreams lying on tables and floors for everybody to mess with (/'O')/

bulletpal

WCA
2015GABL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ikr! I have the same problem. Most of my friends, I know, would never actually want to learn to solve it, and even if they did, they would put it down after 1 or 2 solves. I have 1 friend that might would do it if I could convince him that he could. I tried to teach him a couple times, but he just keeps interrupting me saying "trust me, I won't understand it".

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've taught 4 people and inspired about 4 or more others to learn on their own, and really the best way to do it is not to force it on them, but to wait for them to come to you. The moment someone expresses interest and asks if you can teach them, jump on the opportunity. Also, don't make it seem too complicated from the start. Start with the basics, like how center pieces don't move, and that you don't solve "side by side."

Nick Joyce

YouTube
Visit Channel
I asked a friend if he wanted to get into cubing. He told me 'Only if you buy me one'. Because i'm somewhat new to cubing, I didn't have any spare or old cubes I could give him. So i ordered him one from SpeedCubeShop. link - http://www.speedcubeshop.com?rfsn=251579.aa33b I showed him how the cube works and he found Noah Richardson's tutorial on how to solve a 3x3. It's simple, order them a cheap cube (qiyi sail, yj guanlong, shengshou legend, ect...) and lend it to them until they buy their own.