• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Get More Efficient at 15 Puzzle

SMTCubes

Hello. I am a beginner at 15 puzzle, I started 2 days ago. I average around 40-50 seconds and about 140-160 moves but I can see that most pros average around 60 to 70. I use LBL and I am trying to learn Fringe. I figured that if I can get my move count down, that my times will decrease exponentially, but I don't know how to go about doing so. Any help would be great! Thanks!

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Efficiency is an important factor but so is look ahead. Think of the first 4 pieces as planning your cross out. I almost always start with 1,3,4 or 1,2,4 then squeeze the 2/3 in. Then I’ll place the 5 and move to 9,13. Under the right circumstance I might do the 1,9,13 or 1,5,13 first then squeeze the 5/9 in and move onto 2,3,4. I also might do LBL if it looks like the best continuation. I don’t know if sticking exclusively to fringe is really beneficial on 15 puzzle. I do use it exclusively on larger puzzles though. Hope this helps

SMTCubes

Efficiency is an important factor but so is look ahead. Think of the first 4 pieces as planning your cross out. I almost always start with 1,3,4 or 1,2,4 then squeeze the 2/3 in. Then I’ll place the 5 and move to 9,13. Under the right circumstance I might do the 1,9,13 or 1,5,13 first then squeeze the 5/9 in and move onto 2,3,4. I also might do LBL if it looks like the best continuation. I don’t know if sticking exclusively to fringe is really beneficial on 15 puzzle. I do use it exclusively on larger puzzles though. Hope this helps
This does help, thank you!

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited:

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fringe is easy to switch to, so I would. I'm not very fast, but just try to plan out as much as possible before you start, like in any cubing solve. And the sim that Ben uses is called slidysim. There's a thread on it somewhere on the forums.

SMTCubes

Fringe is easy to switch to, so I would. I'm not very fast, but just try to plan out as much as possible before you start, like in any cubing solve. And the sim that Ben uses is called slidysim. There's a thread on it somewhere on the forums.
I actually do use slidysim! I will use these tips, thanks.

SMTCubes

Have you seen Ben Whitmore solve this puzzle? He has several videos, not just this one. He has some videos of him solving higher order ones as well. I would suggest to slow down the video to see his strategy.

Granted, the simulator he's using is much faster than just a simulator online that you must click with, but he's obviously one of the (if not the) best at this class of puzzle. He seems to use the "clean method" that Michael Gottlieb uses for VERY LARGE cubes.
I'll check these out, thanks!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Talking to Ben, he says the best way is to look at optimal solutions and see if you can replicate what they're doing or see if you can work out their strategies.

His movecount is also a good 10 moves more efficient (when going for efficiency) than almost anyone else.

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 12