• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Do I have to learn Cross+1? Why can't I just work on improving F2L and lookahead?
You can do exactly that, but there's a point where improving in that results in such minimal time gain that you should learn a new technique.
Cross + 1 is mainly good for consistency imo, my biggest cause of inconsistency is pairs 1 & 2 after cross.
It doesn't gain much time, maybe a second at most, but it's more of a quality of life thing.

yCArp

All right, I am back with another query on intuitive F2L vs algorithmic F2L. So here,

What ottozing was implying, as I could tell, was that learning algorithms for F2L can really benefit in F2L lookahead. However, this definitely puts down efficiency which is the strong point intuitive F2L, but is such a compromise worth it in the context of a speedsolve? I would like to seek some opinions on this.

bulkocuber

All right, I am back with another query on intuitive F2L vs algorithmic F2L. So here,

What ottozing was implying, as I could tell, was that learning algorithms for F2L can really benefit in F2L lookahead. However, this definitely puts down efficiency which is the strong point intuitive F2L, but is such a compromise worth it in the context of a speedsolve? I would like to seek some opinions on this.
I don't understand.
F2L is intuitive, but it becomes an algorithmic when you can do it without thinking. I don't see the difference between those two, so could you provide me with an example of the same F2L case solved intuitively and algorithmically?
It really depends on what you mean by intuitive F2L, because to me everything about F2L is intuitive.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand.
F2L is intuitive, but it becomes an algorithmic when you can do it without thinking. I don't see the difference between those two, so could you provide me with an example of the same F2L case solved intuitively and algorithmically?
It really depends on what you mean by intuitive F2L, because to me everything about F2L is intuitive.
F2L 31
Intuitive solution - R U' R' y' R' U2 R(take out the pair, rotate and insert into the back)
Algorithmic solution - U' R' F R F' R U' R'

bulkocuber

F2L 31
Intuitive solution - R U' R' y' R' U2 R(take out the pair, rotate and insert into the back)
Algorithmic solution - U' R' F R F' R U' R'
I would consider both intuitive and algorithmic, with the difference that the second one is slightly more advanced.
You can easily explain why both work and it wouldn't be hard to come up with them. However, if you're used to one of them in particular to solve that case (enough to make it become muscle memory) wouldn't you consider both of them as algorithms?

That's the problem with differentiating between algorithmic and intuitive (within the contest of useful F2L). When you learn how to solve a case, you always understand how it works, so that when you come across that case In a solve you can just remember the basic idea and solve it (maybe with some esitations at first). Executing that solution more and more times that will become muscle memory and you will treat it as an alg (and still understand it, obviously).

I'd just use the term "advanced" for the efficient solutions, but that doesn't mean that it isn't intuitive.
🛸

Imsoosm

I need help learning these PLL's: Na, Nb, Aa, Ab, Ra, Rb, Ga, Gb, Gc, and Gd. If anybody could help me, it would be very appreciated!
What exactly do you need help on? Memorization? Fingertricks? You can find algs for all of these on speedcubedb.com, as for memorization, just group the moves into "triggers", so for example, here's Na:
(R U R' U) (R U R' F') (R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R' (U2 R U' R')
The moves in quotations are sets of moves, like "sexy", which is R U R' U'. You can also group stuff like sledgehammer, R' F R F'.
Na could also be memorized as R U R' U [Jb perm] U' R U' R'

Fingertricks can be found all over youtube.

Imsoosm

Learn full PLL first as it only has 21 algorithms. F2L should be mostly intuitive, so you can figure out how to do it yourself. Experiment and try things around to get to a three move insert (R U R', F' U F) or pairing the two pieces up. Try to figure out the shortest way to get to those three cases. For the cases that you're stuck on/can't figure out a short way to do, look for them here and here.

Tackle OLL last, it's mostly algorithmic, but you can also try some moves for yourself (take out an F2L pair, do something with it, then put it back). Again, you can go on speedcubedb to search the cases. Also some cases are mirrors of each other, so if you don't want to learn the alg you can just do leftie. For example R U R' U R U2 R' becomes L' U' L U' L' U2 L

T

the average speed cuber

Learn full PLL first as it only has 21 algorithms. F2L should be mostly intuitive, so you can figure out how to do it yourself. Experiment and try things around to get to a three move insert (R U R', F' U F) or pairing the two pieces up. Try to figure out the shortest way to get to those three cases. For the cases that you're stuck on/can't figure out a short way to do, look for them here and here.

Tackle OLL last, it's mostly algorithmic, but you can also try some moves for yourself (take out an F2L pair, do something with it, then put it back). Again, you can go on speedcubedb to search the cases. Also some cases are mirrors of each other, so if you don't want to learn the alg you can just do leftie. For example R U R' U R U2 R' becomes L' U' L U' L' U2 L
so why do OLL last and not PLL?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help with memorizing CFOP to enter in to comp because my PB is only sub 45

On a separate note: if you can, you should totally go to a competition no matter what you average! Competitions are awesome social events and they can also be a great way to motivate yourself to improve. :)

T

the average speed cuber

On a separate note: if you can, you should totally go to a competition no matter what you average! Competitions are awesome social events and they can also be a great way to motivate yourself to improve. :)
one thing. there arn't really any turnomants because im on a semi tropical island

I need someone to help me through the gurney of learning CFOP😕

I need someone to help me through the gurney of learning CFOP😕
because I cant memorize it

Anthonycube

WCA
2021TIGH01
Hi everyone. I would really like to become sub 15 consistently. I'm sure I could get there on my own but if you wouldn't mind helping, it might help me get there faster. Can somebody please tell me how faster all of my steps should be sub 15 (cross in 2 seconds etc.) So I know what to work on. I average 15/16 at home ( I have got a sub 15 average in competition but at home I am not consistently sub 15.) I know full PLL and about half of OLL. Should I learn full OLL right now? I'm guessing yes which is what I'm doing right now. This is my first post on speedsolving.com, so I'm sorry if I messed something up :).