• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

duckyisepic

the forgotten disassembled 4x4 underneath your bed
i recently became sub 20 last month. I avg about 18 secs, and you don't necessarily need to look ahead. So I guess tihs is my advice. Your ao5 does seem inconsistent, so I suggest drilling some f2l cases you're struggling on. I like to watch example solves instead of searching some useful f2l algs. Some advanced cubers have really nice solution to some hard cases. So watch some examples videos, they really help. Also, you should learn full pll, but I think you should focus more on f2l since you're somewhat inconsistent. I do slow solves when I'm in the car or in class. But recently chill turning is very good. I personally like to use both, but for a more detailed info on chill solves, visit this:

Just like Mathsoccer said, you should record your solves. It's really good to do this at any stage you are on 3x3.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Hello

How to get to sub 20? Should I start looking ahead?

I have recently bought the Moyu RSM 2020. This cube is great and now, I am averaging under 25 seconds.

However, I am stuck at around 23 seconds. I am unable to improve. I don't know why, I just can't. I don't find any major fault in my solves, except for huge pauses while transitioning between F2l pairs (I don't work to rectify it as it is advised not to look ahead at this level, its recommended for people who are already sub-20). Should I start looking ahead? Or is this any other problem which I am unable to recognize?
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. You can’t learn lookahead, it’s just something that you figure out over time. You should learn full PLL, and start learning OLL as well as doing plenty of solves to start developing your lookahead.

Rubuscu

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. You can’t learn lookahead, it’s just something that you figure out over time. You should learn full PLL, and start learning OLL as well as doing plenty of solves to start developing your lookahead.

I mean if I want, I can look ahead in my solves by slightly reducing my turn speed, but I don't do it and continue turning faster. Should I continue doing so?

Rubuscu

i recently became sub 20 last month. I avg about 18 secs, and you don't necessarily need to look ahead. So I guess tihs is my advice. Your ao5 does seem inconsistent, so I suggest drilling some f2l cases you're struggling on. I like to watch example solves instead of searching some useful f2l algs. Some advanced cubers have really nice solution to some hard cases. So watch some examples videos, they really help. Also, you should learn full pll, but I think you should focus more on f2l since you're somewhat inconsistent. I do slow solves when I'm in the car or in class. But recently chill turning is very good. I personally like to use both, but for a more detailed info on chill solves, visit this:

Just like Mathsoccer said, you should record your solves. It's really good to do this at any stage you are on 3x3.

I guess I don't have much trouble solving various F2L cases. I think the problem with me is that I can't quickly find F2L pieces, I struggle to choose which pair to solve from my F2L pair options, and recognizing those F2L cases, especially for my first 2 F2l pairs

Rubuscu

I am also unable to plan out my entire cross during inspection time of 15 seconds, can't execute the cross with good fingertricks, get dot OLLs too often and take up a lot of time just to recognize the PLL

duckyisepic

the forgotten disassembled 4x4 underneath your bed
I guess I don't have much trouble solving various F2L cases. I think the problem with me is that I can't quickly find F2L pieces, I struggle to choose which pair to solve from my F2L pair options, and recognizing those F2L cases, especially for my first 2 F2l pairs
I am also unable to plan out my entire cross during inspection time of 15 seconds, can't execute the cross with good fingertricks, get dot OLLs too often and take up a lot of time just to recognize the PLL
you seem like you time yourself a lot (but i'm not really sure if you do, just assuming). Try to not do that so much. What I like to do is focus on a certain cfop stage for one day. I also sucked at cross a few months ago, but what really help was fully focusing on cross. What I did was to use cstimer for scrambles, but i found this program. This program is really helpful, starting from level 1 to level 8.

So I try to solve the cross in 8 moves or less without using a timer. I did this about 30-50 times I can't remember. After a quick break, I did cross blindfolded. Did it about 10-20 times (again i forgot how much). I don't like doing practise for a long period of time, so I had a break for 3-4 hours. I watch some examples solves more so cross focused videos. I learned a few tricks and more efficient ways of solving cross. I implemented that into my muscle memory. Again, took a break. Then came back and decided to kinda quickly recap what I learnt. Of course, I didn't really have a lot more time left during the day, so continued the next day. I did unlimted inspection time for a timed solve. Now, by at this point I was pretty nervous since I was really practising for the past 1-2 days. But, luckily I did really well. My times in an ao5 didn't involved a lot of times over 20 secs.

So really what I'm trying to say is focus on a certain stage.

I did this with pll, just drilling the algs and timing it. I got fast, short term improvements from there.

U_ltimate

Hello, I average about 12-14 f2l and keep getting non sub 30 solves, my goal is to be sub 20 consistently, I know full pll and most oll. How can I improve, I do slow down and look ahead so don't give me that thing.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I average about 12-14 f2l and keep getting non sub 30 solves, my goal is to be sub 20 consistently, I know full pll and most oll. How can I improve, I do slow down and look ahead so don't give me that thing.
What are your other splits? I’m not that good with CFOP so I don’t really know optimal splits, but I can sub 20 it.
Check them up here and see if F2L is what you need to work on.

Make sure all your algorithms are optimal, go through them against a good alg site, and drill them so you know them inside out.
If you’re not planning cross in inspection, then do so and later you can start seeing F2L pieces as you do the cross to give you some more insight.
IMO don’t force lookahead, it’s something that comes with practise and not sitting there with a metronome and such.
But doing some untimed solves where you turn smoothly at a consistent TPS and keep moving can help with lookahead if you want.
If you have the algs completely down, you can execute them without looking at the pieces, so try do something constructive like looking for your next pair while it happens.

Hope I helped :)

Edit: and I think there should be like an option to edit the title if you click edit on your original post and scroll up.

fortissim2

WCA
2016LAUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any drills to practice cross+1? Everytime i do it, the f2l pieces end up in the wrong orientation compared to what i thought of during inspec, or the f2l pieces end up in the back slots. When i look at other example solves though, they make it look so easy :p

fortissim2

WCA
2016LAUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any drills to practice cross+1? Everytime i do it, the f2l pieces end up in the wrong orientation compared to what i thought of during inspec, or the f2l pieces end up in the back slots. When i look at other example solves though, they make it look so easy :p
Double post but now the f2l corners always end up in the slots and it's really annoying, help

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don’t really know as a non cfop user but I’ll bump anyway.
Practise is probably the solution here though, and try tracking the edges without the inspection pressure for a bit

Hi i currently average about 27 seconds on 3x3, and i am looking to be sub 20. I feel like I have hit a major roadblock here. I have learnt full pll, and all the algs for f2l special cases. I am currently working on developing look ahead, are there any tips as to how I can practice look ahead and achieve sub-20?

This video helped me become sub-20:

Also, what are your splits? By that, I mean how long does it usually take you to do cross, F2L, OLL and PLL? If you don't know, then go on to csTimer.net, go to settings, click timer and change multiphase to 4. Then, after every step press the space bar. This takes a bit of getting used to and you shouldn't use it for normal solves as pressing the spacebar wastes time. To be sub-20, your cross must be below 2.5 seconds, your f2l below 10 seconds, your OLL 4 seconds and PLL 3 seconds. When you have checked your splits, work on individual areas that aren't below the times I have said. For cross, do blindfolded cross solves, for F2L do slow solves and for OLL and PLL use an algorithm trainer like jperm.net or thebestsiteever.ru. Becoming colour neutral will also help but it isn't necessary.

Finally, I don't recommend learning full OLL as the time spent learning algorithms could instead be used doing slow solves and practicing the algorithms you already know. For context, I am (almost) sub 18 and I have only just started learning full OLL.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results

Also, what are your splits? By that, I mean how long does it usually take you to do cross, F2L, OLL and PLL? If you don't know, then go on to csTimer.net, go to settings, click timer and change multiphase to 4. Then, after every step press the space bar. This takes a bit of getting used to and you shouldn't use it for normal solves as pressing the spacebar wastes time. To be sub-20, your cross must be below 2.5 seconds, your f2l below 10 seconds, your OLL 4 seconds and PLL 3 seconds. When you have checked your splits, work on individual areas that aren't below the times I have said. For cross, do blindfolded cross solves, for F2L do slow solves and for OLL and PLL use an algorithm trainer like jperm.net or thebestsiteever.ru. Becoming colour neutral will also help but it isn't necessary.

Finally, I don't recommend learning full OLL as the time spent learning algorithms could instead be used doing slow solves and practicing the algorithms you already know. For context, I am (almost) sub 18 and I have only just started learning full OLL.
For the splits part, I’d recommend using Feliks’s splits tool. You input your splits, and it tells you what part of the solve you need to work on.

hey, my splits are 4, 15, 4, 4 for cross, f2l, oll, pll. Also what do you mean by slow solves, i don't understand. Most of the time I lose is during cross to f2l transition as i struggle to find the first pair. Sometimes during lookahead, i fail to find the pairs since they are in the back slots, what can i do to avoid that? Thanks

hey, my splits are 4, 15, 4, 4 for cross, f2l, oll, pll. Also what do you mean by slow solves, i don't understand. Most of the time I lose is during cross to f2l transition as i struggle to find the first pair. Sometimes during lookahead, i fail to find the pairs since they are in the back slots, what can i do to avoid that? Thanks
I put your splits into the tool, and it says that they're pretty balanced for someone your speed. I know this sounds super simple and stupid, but what got me sub-20 was just drilling solves. You shouldn't learn too much new stuff when you're only averaging 27, doing a few hundred solves should really help you.

I put your splits into the tool, and it says that they're pretty balanced for someone your speed. I know this sounds super simple and stupid, but what got me sub-20 was just drilling solves. You shouldn't learn too much new stuff when you're only averaging 27, doing a few hundred solves should really help you.
yeah i think so too, though i have been stuck at this average for the past week.