• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you make a new thread?
Go to the forums tab in the top left corner, click on it, then click ‘Post Thread’ in the top right. You can go into a sub forum before posting to give the correct tag/put the thread there specifically, as well as the home page.
Remember mega threads like this exist though, so don’t post new threads too much

Hi My name Is gershon I am 13 years old and I am looking for a CFOP coach. I need help understanding CFOP. Videos confuse me all the time and I would rather get on a video call with someone to have a more in depth tutorial on how to do it.
Thank you in advance.

pi³

Maybe you could try the "Cubicle Academy"?
Of course don't do this until you've exhausted every free resource and you actually need personal help.

Solved_Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
PDF Version of this Guide - March 23, 2013

Welcome! This thread will be a guide to help you get faster at solving the Rubik’s Cube using the popular Fridrich/CFOP method. Please read this thread and do some forum searching prior to asking questions about becoming faster.

First off, the most important factor is practice. No matter what method you use, or how many algorithms you know, you need to practice a lot to progress. With practice, you will be able to turn the cube faster, recognize cases ore quickly, and just in general gain a better understanding of the cube. You can even get sub 20 averages with a beginner’s method - but only if you practice a lot. No other factor is more important. So if you’re getting stuck, chances are you aren’t practicing enough!

Of course, we want to know to know how to practice to find the most efficient way to improve. Here are some basics steps to help you get faster. You do not have to follow these steps, as they are only meant to guide you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1
Current Average: 1:30+ or don't know how to solve a Rubik's Cube
Goal Average: 1:00-1:19

Learn how to solve the cube from here: Badmephisto's Youtube Video Tutorial He teaches you a simplified version of CFOP that will help you easily progress later on.
NOTE: It is possible to achieve below one minute with this method, just by practicing. If you are still stuck, follow these tips:
  • Get a better cube. Cubes like the Dayan ZhanChi and Dayan GuHong v2 are great – they allow for effortless turning and corner cutting. Lubricate your cube too – a decent method is using silicone spray, but using silicone oil is better.
  • Use finger tricks (this will speed up your times A LOT). You can become better at finger tricks by practicing.
  • Decrease your last layer time (to about 25 seconds or less) - you can do this by improving your recognition and execution for each case (to do this you must practice)
  • Try to reduce pauses, meaning, try to never stop turning during your solve. This can be done by practicing a lot!
  • Work on the cross. Try to do the cross in 12 moves or less, and under 12 seconds. Here is a link that will help you achieve/learn this (and then practice it a lot): http://cubefreak.net/speed/cfop/cross.php
  • Practice - The more you practice, the faster you'll become
  • Once you get a little used to the beginner method, you can also try inserting the first layer/side corners from different angles. See Macky's guide: http://cubefreak.net/speed/cfop/f2l_extensions.php
  • Use a timer to see your progression: You can use web based timers or PC timers.
Estimated Time: 2-4 weeks

Step 2
Current Average: 1:00-1:19
Goal Average: 40-49 seconds

Learning 4 Look Last Layer (4LLL). This means solving the last layer in 4 steps – consisting of Orienting the Last Layer in 2 steps (2 Look OLL), and Permuting the Last Layer in 2 steps (2 Look PLL).

2 Look OLL
  • Edge Orientation - 3 algorithms (technically 2)
  • Corner Orientation - 7 algorithms
2 Look PLL
  • Corner Permutation - 2 Algorithms Aa/Ab and E/V/Y/Na/Nb
  • Edge Permutation - 4 algorithms - Ua, Ub, Z, H
Here are some links explaining how to use the 4LLL (2 Look OLL + 2 Look PLL) algorithms for your last layer:

Step 3
Current Average: 40-49 seconds
Goal Average: 30-39 seconds

• Now learn intuitive First Two Layers (F2L).
  • Your times will temporarily worsen, but after a few days of practicing, they will significantly become better!
  • Practice your F2L A LOT, and never give up!

Step 4
Current Average: 30-39 seconds
Goal Average: 20-29 seconds

• Now, learn the rest of the PLL algorithms. Full PLL is 21 Algorithms (you have already learned 7 algorithms for 2-Look PLL) (Links where to learn the algorithms are at the bottom of this guide).
  • Learn how to look ahead during F2L - this will TREMENDOUSLY help your times. Looking ahead is one of the most important aspects of improving.
Estimated Time: 2-6 weeks

Step 5
Current Average: 20-29 seconds
Goal Average: 15-19 seconds

• Practice your F2L, learn/make up your own techniques, and possibly learn some of the algorithms for odd cases. (Links where to learn the F2L algorithms are at the bottom of this guide) Also, remember to look ahead (this is EXTREMELY important)! Try to complete your cross and F2L in 12 seconds or less on average.
  • Work on improving your speed for your OLLs and PLLs. Use triggers, and try to get all of the algorithms under 3 seconds for recognition and execution.
  • Get your cross below 4 seconds consistently (make sure you solve the cross on the bottom of the cube.)

Estimated Time: 1-2 months

Step 6
Current Average: Sub 20 Seconds
Goal Average: Below 15 seconds

• Get your cross and F2L done in under 10 seconds
  • Get your cross done in ~2 seconds on average
  • Learn how to do Extended Cross (x-cross)
  • Learn the rest of the OLL algorithms - 57 algorithms (Note that learning the OLLs will only help you by 2 second or less)
  • To learn/memorize the OLL's easier look at Badmephisto's video
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: 4+ months

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 7 (written by PoHos1)
Current Average: Below 15 Seconds
Goal Average: Sub10 or around 10

• Practice a lot f2l try to allways see first pair in f2l (inspection time)
  • Get your cross done in about 1.5 seconds
  • Practice yours Extended Cross (x-cross)
  • learn all pll and oll about 1.5 seconds like your cross
  • (also you can learn COLL if you want some time can help )
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: its only on you (at least 6 mounts)

F2L Algorithms:
OLL Algorithms:
PLL Algorithms:
You should print out your OLLs/PLLs so you can learn them and use them at any time. Keep in mind that you should choose the algorithms that best suit you. Just because one person is fast with an algorithm doesn't mean you will be fast with the same algorithm.

**The information provided in this thread was contributed by members in this post**
I have never seen such a long post.
VERY HELPFUL thank you. :)

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Maybe you could try the "Cubicle Academy"?
Of course don't do this until you've exhausted every free resource and you actually need personal help.
Fiverr is way cheaper for the same thing

CUBER1265

Hi SpeedSolving community!

I really want to avg under 20 seconds, and I am currently at roughly 23-25 seconds, and I cannot get it down, not matter how much a practice. I know intuitive f2l, about 1/3 of oll (learning it right now) and full pll
here are my individual times
cross: about 4 seconds
F2L: 11-13 seconds (any tips on how to get this down?)
OLL and PLL: 4 seconds
(This is a good/average solve)
Any tips to improve?
Thanks!

rubik2005

1. Get your cross down to 2 seconds. I think 4 is a little too high. Forget about your times, and just practice planning cross without inspection and try to solve it without looking. Do this for a couple of days.
2. Try to slow down, but look at the rest of the pairs instead of the one you're currently doing. This will help you have an idea of what your next step will be, and thus will make your solves more fluid.

OLL isn't a priority right now, 2-look should be fine. And you know full PLL, so as long as you can recognize and execute them nicely, this step shouldn't be a problem either at the stage you're at.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am averaging similar times to you but your OLL and PLL is much much faster than mine. Are you able to plan your entire cross during inspection? 4 seconds is too long to hit your 20s goal.

Do tons of untimed solves specifically working on cross and F2L. If you use cstimer use the cross solved scrambles, solve your 4 f2L pairs and re-scramble. Work on efficiency and minimizing move count for these substeps.

CUBER1265

I am averaging similar times to you but your OLL and PLL is much much faster than mine. Are you able to plan your entire cross during inspection? 4 seconds is too long to hit your 20s goal.

Do tons of untimed solves specifically working on cross and F2L. If you use cstimer use the cross solved scrambles, solve your 4 f2L pairs and re-scramble. Work on efficiency and minimizing move count for these substeps.
Will do! I also can plan the cross, if not, then 3/4 of it during inspection

Agam Chawla

Work on your cross as cross can easily be brought down to 2 seconds,
execute cross slowly to find some F2L piece to reduce pause bringing your splits around
Cross 2.5
F2L 9.5
LL 4
There you are sub 17

U3cubing

WCA
2022HAUG01
Sorry if this doesn’t belong here, couldn’t find a thread for this.
So I average about 23-25 sec and want to get sub 20 consistently. My Pb is 14 sec. I know 2 look oll and full pll ( except the g perms and the nb perm) with intermediate f2l. I think I need to work on f2l, sometimes I’m faster then others. What should I do?
Thanks!

Llewelys

There's already a lot of videos on YouTube about that
If there are things they talk about that you don't do yet, start implementing them
If you already know/do everything they talk about, then just keep doing solves.
If you're not sure, film your solves!

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel

Rubuscu

Hello

How to get to sub 20? Should I start looking ahead?

I have recently bought the Moyu RSM 2020. This cube is great and now, I am averaging under 25 seconds.

However, I am stuck at around 23 seconds. I am unable to improve. I don't know why, I just can't. I don't find any major fault in my solves, except for huge pauses while transitioning between F2l pairs (I don't work to rectify it as it is advised not to look ahead at this level, its recommended for people who are already sub-20). Should I start looking ahead? Or is this any other problem which I am unable to recognize?