• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Skewb_Cube

As @WarriorCatCuber mentioned, you should first learn full PLL and just do a bunch of solves, but I recommend a lot to become first colour neutral. Colour neutrality probably in the future will help you on your cross and F2L transition and also in the ability on starting in a good cross.

From personal experience I got sub-20 by just doing lots of solves and practicing on look ahead. This technique of look ahead helps a lot on reducing pauses so I recommend on practicing it. But as I mentioned before, first I recommend on becoming colour neutral, for example, I'm working on colour neutrality right now which I average 14 seconds so it's harder at this level than yours.

Good luck! :D

ZB2op

I recommend a lot to become first colour neutral. Colour neutrality probably in the future will help you on your cross and F2L transition
cross to f2l is way more important than colour neutrality tho and can get over twice off of your time than colour neutrality than

Skewb_Cube

cross to f2l is way more important than colour neutrality tho and can get over twice off of your time than colour neutrality than

That's why I mentioned colour neutrality, because you can start from any cross, for example, you get an easy orange cross that is like 4-6 moves so it's going to be easier to transition from cross to F2L than a bad white or yellow cross, due to the cross move count.

But that's just an example, and I agree with you. But cross to F2L is not necessary for sub-20.

Last edited:

Eamon

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm stuck at averaging 10 seconds for a year and don't know how to be sub 10. I have about 5 tps and very little pauses in my solves, and I hope I can get some tips from you guys and thank you to everyone who answers!

Mo_A2244

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi @Eamon!
Someone named @Zubin Park may be able to help you. In the meantime I would suggest this thread which goes through sub 10 AND sub 9 along with many other guides as well.
Hope you reach your goal!

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK, I don't know as I'm not sub-20 yet (but I am improving), but I think you might need to spread out your practices more if possible. What I mean by this is instead of doing 2 2hr cube sessions a week, do something like 4 1hr sessions or something like that. Personally, what I do is I try to do 7 1hr cube sessions a week, one for each day, and if I don't have an hour free in my schedule, I'll usually just cube in my spare time. Usually the breaks in school where I'm allowed to are enough for me to get an hour in, but if not I'll just cube at home for the rest of the time. Obviously, this might not work for your schedule, but just try it out and see how it works.

Also, if you want to keep your longer sessions in twice a week, that's cool, so long as you're practicing other times. You're already doing well with learning new techniques, so keep that up. Hope you get sub-20 soon.

Hi, I would like to learn CFOP, but the challenge of learning 147 algorithms seems very hard for me. Any tips on how to start?
(I know the beginner's method and average around a minute.)

Update: I can do f2l in around 30 seconds, and I'm partway through learning the 4LLL algorithms. Thanks for helping me.

Last edited: