• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MohamadAA

Never ever rotate during cross, it really slows it down. Try posting some example solves on the Solve Critique Thread so that we can see how efficient your F2L is. I'd start learning full PLL if you don't already know it, then move onto OLL. You can get a better cube if you want, the Qiyi MS is only 9 USD
I know full pll and like third of oll. I ordered a Qiyi thunderclap v3 M, but I still haven't received it yet

So currently I am learning Beginner CFOP. I can make the white cross fairly effeciently, and I have learned 2 Look PLL. A few ALGS of OLL are left, and I can do Intuitive F2l if that's what it's called. So after completing the beginner CFOP, should I learn advanced F2L or PLL? because OLL is too big so I will learn in End (or maybe F2L).

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: First record, 1:45 first go Non lucky

Last edited:

Kaneki Uchiha

So currently I am learning Beginner CFOP. I can make the white cross fairly effeciently, and I have learned 2 Look PLL. A few ALGS of OLL are left, and I can do Intuitive F2l if that's what it's called. So after completing the beginner CFOP, should I learn advanced F2L or PLL? because OLL is too big so I will learn in End (or maybe F2L).

What are your thoughts?
Once you master beginner cfop I would recommend learningbone look pll
And learn the algs for the f2l cases that you have trouble with

What are your thoughts?
what do you mean by "a few algs of OLL are left" because you said "OLL is too big so I will learn it in the end" did you mean 2 Look OLL in the first sentence? if so, you should complete that first, also, don't learn full algorithmic F2L (or advanced as you said) use it only for a few ugly F2L cases, and make your intuitive F2L algorithms efficient, and after you completed 2 Look OLL and PLL for your LL, learn full PLL first, then full OLL, and also, what do you average? I can't tell you much if you don't specify what you average.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
"Advanced F2L" is not learning algorithms for all F2L cases. Advanced F2L is intuitively finding really cool and efficient ways to solve cases. Once you finish 4 Look Last Layer, just practice for a while drilling your algs and improving your F2L slowly(watching example solves and intermediate F2L videos helps). If you really want to learn Full PLL then you can, but you don't "need" it until 20-30 seconds

chocool6

@DemonicCuberad So after filling out the survey for PBs over time I know that your PB right now is around 2 minutes. What I recommend that you do is finish 4LLL, as well as practice a lot of intuitive f2l. From intuitive f2l and 4LLL alone you can probably average around 30 seconds. If you want to learn new things while practicing, I'd recommend learning Advanced F2L and then full PLL. Also, you could always work on cross and color neutrality.

Really the most important thing is to practice f2l though, that's usually the most time-consuming part of your solve so cutting down on it will really increase your times.

I solemnly accept that my last layer is really bad. Even though I average between 25 to 30s, My last layer takes more time than expected by a sub 30 solver (i.e. over 11s). I believe that if I start solving the last layer in 8 to 10s, I can get really better times. There must be something I am missing about the last layer. I know 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL (along with some easy PLLs). Please help me.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Learn full PLL for a start. There are only 21 and you possibly know most of them already. Start making some inroads into full OLL by breaking them down into similar shapes and work on recognition of those before tackling the next set of shapes.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn full PLL for a start. There are only 21 and you possibly know most of them already. Start making some inroads into full OLL by breaking them down into similar shapes and work on recognition of those before tackling the next set of shapes.
Thats not the problem though. You can be sub 20 with 4LLL. @The Rising Cuber I suggest drilling alg execution - spam practise every alg you have. Make sure you have good algorithms and are doing optimal fingertricks. And practise last layer on its own to train recognition.

Thanks a lot for you thought of helping me out.
But for the time being I do not want to learn full OLL and full PLL because I believe that if I know both of them, I should be at least sub 20 or sub 22, and that cannot happen according to how I evaluate myself.
Plus I think that cubers are sub 15 even after using 2-look OLL and full PLL. In that way I would be at the back of the race because I should be a better solver knowing the full alg. sets. That will be a problem in the future because even after knwoing many things I will get badder timings than expected.
I know the above statements are not so clear, but I think that was the best way I could explain it. Hope you understand it.
Thanks

Thats not the problem though. You can be sub 20 with 4LLL. @The Rising Cuber I suggest drilling alg execution - spam practise every alg you have. Make sure you have good algorithms and are doing optimal fingertricks. And practise last layer on its own to train recognition.
That would be a really good idea. Right now I think the reason behind my bad last layer solves is that I am not too efficient with the last layer fingertricks. I guess U perms and Y perm (for the first look) is a problem for me. I can execute Z perm and H perm with ease. Please help me out with efficient Last layer solves with 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL.

ketchupcuber

Thanks a lot for you thought of helping me out.
But for the time being I do not want to learn full OLL and full PLL because I believe that if I know both of them, I should be at least sub 20 or sub 22, and that cannot happen according to how I evaluate myself.
Plus I think that cubers are sub 15 even after using 2-look OLL and full PLL. In that way I would be at the back of the race because I should be a better solver knowing the full alg. sets. That will be a problem in the future because even after knwoing many things I will get badder timings than expected.
I know the above statements are not so clear, but I think that was the best way I could explain it. Hope you understand it.
Thanks
lol i learned full pll before i was sub 30 and full oll before sub 25 i just find learning algs easy
my f2l used to be so inefficient

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
lol i learned full pll before i was sub 30 and full oll before sub 25 i just find learning algs easy
my f2l used to be so inefficient
I learnt full PLL at 35 and I use Petrus :p
That would be a really good idea. Right now I think the reason behind my bad last layer solves is that I am not too efficient with the last layer fingertricks. I guess U perms and Y perm (for the first look) is a problem for me. I can execute Z perm and H perm with ease. Please help me out with efficient Last layer solves with 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL.
I suggest watching fingertrick videos, and optimising your algorithms

I learnt full PLL at 35 and I use Petrus :p

I suggest watching fingertrick videos, and optimising your algorithms
Thanks. Can you suggest me some sources (whether youtube or from wherever) from where I can learn good fingertrick habits? I personally find J Perm to be the best cube tutor out there, but I did not find his tutorials useful for improving my last layer (though he has a really big role in guiding me till sub 30).

whaffle

I think that slow algorithm execution may not be the only problem for you. I can sub-1 all of my last layer algorithms, but my last layer still takes 4-5 seconds, meaning recognition takes half of my time. I doubt your recognition is perfect, so if you drill recognition, you should be able to improve your last layer times a little. Also, why don't you want to learn full OLL and PLL just because you'll be slower than other people who know full OLL and PLL? It's not like learning algorithms will hinder your times or anything. How fast you are has almost nothing to do with how many algorithms you know. I learnt full PLL and OLL in less than a hour(lol) and I doubt you won't be able to learn it in under 2 weeks if you spend 30 minutes or more a day on it.