• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if you should have made your own thread for this, but I will try to help. First of all, you should finish OLL as soon as possible. For F2L, don't use algorithms, instead find the most efficient way to do a pair. If you are really stuck on one of them, you can look up an algorithm, but make sure you understand it intuitively. Besides that, make sure you can do your OLL and PLL quickly (sub 2 seconds for each should be good), try to plan as much as you can in inspection (cross at a minimum, cross + first pair if you can), have good F2L lookahead, and most of all, PRACTICE!! Good luck on getting sub 12!

Z

Zubin Park

Sub-12 is one of the hardest barriers for me to break, other than sub 8. Full OLL isn't needed, but if you have completed some or most of them, you should be good. For me, I learned full OLL after I was sub 20ish, but you should be fine if you start learning now. You haven't mentioned if you were Color Neutral, but I would learn at least white and yellow cross, or learn CN altogether. It shaves a bit of time off your solves, but it's harder as you get faster. I wouldn't recommend VLS, BLE, WV, or any other subsets, as you can reach sub-12 without those algs.

Lookahead in your F2L is important and HARD, and to do that you need to have good F2L algs in general. J perm has a good alg sheet, and if you don't know intuitive F2L, I would suggest you head right over to J perm as well to learn it. Lookahead comes with practice, specifically slow solving and blind solving (looking at a pair or 2 pairs and solving it with your eyes closed).

Like Nmile said, no algs are good, but intuitive is the 1st step to leaning how F2L works

It's fun, so just enjoy the journey!

I don't know if you should have made your own thread for this, but I will try to help. First of all, you should finish OLL as soon as possible. For F2L, don't use algorithms, instead find the most efficient way to do a pair. If you are really stuck on one of them, you can look up an algorithm, but make sure you understand it intuitively. Besides that, make sure you can do your OLL and PLL quickly (sub 2 seconds for each should be good), try to plan as much as you can in inspection (cross at a minimum, cross + first pair if you can), have good F2L lookahead, and most of all, PRACTICE!! Good luck on getting sub 12!
but hey, the mods are probably going to merge it, and also, I'm also struggling to be sub 12 rn, so thanks for the tips!

Mystheman

Sub-12 is one of the hardest barriers for me to break, other than sub 8. Full OLL isn't needed, but if you have completed some or most of them, you should be good. For me, I learned full OLL after I was sub 20ish, but you should be fine if you start learning now. You haven't mentioned if you were Color Neutral, but I would learn at least white and yellow cross, or learn CN altogether. It shaves a bit of time off your solves, but it's harder as you get faster. I wouldn't recommend VLS, BLE, WV, or any other subsets, as you can reach sub-12 without those algs.

Lookahead in your F2L is important and HARD, and to do that you need to have good F2L algs in general. J perm has a good alg sheet, and if you don't know intuitive F2L, I would suggest you head right over to J perm as well to learn it. Lookahead comes with practice, specifically slow solving and blind solving (looking at a pair or 2 pairs and solving it with your eyes closed).

Like Nmile said, no algs are good, but intuitive is the 1st step to leaning how F2L works

It's fun, so just enjoy the journey!
I'm not CN and solve the cross with white colour. In order to practice, I solve the cube slowly to see what I do for the F2L part yet the problem is when I solve fastly, I skip those things that I cover while I solve slowly. So it just becomes a situation that I cannot integrate those things to my speed solutions. Today I covered something more for F2L and learnt 2 more OLL algs. I guess I need my last layer faster as well. I finish F2L like 7-8 secs but it takes me 4 secs for most of the time to finish the cube. Thank you for your suggestions :)

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not CN and solve the cross with white colour. In order to practice, I solve the cube slowly to see what I do for the F2L part yet the problem is when I solve fastly, I skip those things that I cover while I solve slowly. So it just becomes a situation that I cannot integrate those things to my speed solutions. Today I covered something more for F2L and learnt 2 more OLL algs. I guess I need my last layer faster as well. I finish F2L like 7-8 secs but it takes me 4 secs for most of the time to finish the cube. Thank you for your suggestions :)
The way to start integrating the more efficient things that you do in slow solves into fast solves is to gradually go from slow to fast turning. What I would do is start off your practice turning slowly and being efficient as possible, then after that solve, speed your turning up by just a bit. Continue to speed up your turning each solve until you reach your normal turn speed. Keep on practicing this and you will start to be more efficient in your fast solves. :)

Mystheman

The way to start integrating the more efficient things that you do in slow solves into fast solves is to gradually go from slow to fast turning. What I would do is start off your practice turning slowly and being efficient as possible, then after that solve, speed your turning up by just a bit. Continue to speed up your turning each solve until you reach your normal turn speed. Keep on practicing this and you will start to be more efficient in your fast solves. :)
I even thought to memorise the solution by using the same scramble and trying what you said yet I couldn't be sure that whether it would work or not.

MohamadAA

Hi. I have been cubing for roughly 3.5 months. It had been going greatly.
When I hit the sub 20 ao500, I took a break for like 5 days or so, but when I came back I simply couldn't improve. I tried learning new olls and improving my plls but no luck. I did a multi phase ao12 and here are my rough avarages:
ao12 : 21.79
C : 3.46
F : 10.61
O : 3.69
P : 3.82

Note : The multi phase is not accurate

Which step should I focus on and how can I improve it?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi. I have been cubing for roughly 3.5 months. It had been going greatly.
When I hit the sub 20 ao500, I took a break for like 5 days or so, but when I came back I simply couldn't improve. I tried learning new olls and improving my plls but no luck. I did a multi phase ao12 and here are my rough avarages:
ao12 : 21.79
C : 3.46
F : 10.61
O : 3.69
P : 3.82

Note : The multi phase is not accurate

Which step should I focus on and how can I improve it?
If it’s not accurate we can’t help you. What makes it not accurate?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Because it is multi phase so I have to press space to start the next phase and I can't move the cube while one hand is pressing the space
Just do normal splits, do lots of cross solves, then lots of cross+F2L solves. Take the cross solves on their own, and for F2L, take the entire time you got, and take away the cross time to get how much time you spend on pairs. I don’t think you’re looking into OLL and PLL yet, so just time these separately.

I put in your multiphase times anyway, your F2L is good, but cross, OLL and PLL need a little work overall.
Generic advice:
Plan out cross in inspection, if you can’t yet, work on doing 2 pieces, then 3 pieces, etc. Cross should be done on bottom and rotationless if possible. Lookahead during cross into the first pair, if you’ve planned out the cross, you don’t need to look at what you’re doing and can focus on your F2L pair which you’ll start solving after cross. Know all 42 optimal algs for F2L, they should be fast and easy to recognise for you. Again lookahead whenever possible, you don’t need to look at your F2L pair if you know the alg, it’s in your muscle memory, so you can use that to start looking for the next pair. Slow down a little if you have to, try to turn consistently, bursts of high TPs and pauses are worse than normal, consistent TPS. You don’t need full OLL and PLL for sub 20, but I recommend PLL and OLL if you want. OLL and PLL should be below 3 and 4 seconds respectively for sub 20. Train specifically recognition and execution. Make sure you have good algorithms. Try not to rotate too much, use U moves to look at the top layer. Plus, consistent turning speed in F2L before TPS. Once you’ve got consistent turning (which means you have good lookahead), it’s easy to speed up turns, but not the other way. And PRACTISE. LEARNING THIS IS USELESS IF YOU CAN’T PRACTISE IT.

Split data for sub 20 is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...53dy_J2WLXMY9RTnEep2efBPWI/edit#gid=578524837

Last edited:

MohamadAA

Just do normal splits, do lots of cross solves, then lots of cross+F2L solves. Take the cross solves on their own, and for F2L, take the entire time you got, and take away the cross time to get how much time you spend on pairs. I don’t think you’re looking into OLL and PLL yet, so just time these separately.

I put in your multiphase times anyway, your F2L is good, but cross, OLL and PLL need a little work overall.
Generic advice:
Plan out cross in inspection, if you can’t yet, work on doing 2 pieces, then 3 pieces, etc. Cross should be done on bottom and rotationless if possible. Lookahead during cross into the first pair, if you’ve planned out the cross, you don’t need to look at what you’re doing and can focus on your F2L pair which you’ll start solving after cross. Know all 42 optimal algs for F2L, they should be fast and easy to recognise for you. Again lookahead whenever possible, you don’t need to look at your F2L pair if you know the alg, it’s in your muscle memory, so you can use that to start looking for the next pair. Slow down a little if you have to, try to turn consistently, bursts of high TPs and pauses are worse than normal, consistent TPS. You don’t need full OLL and PLL for sub 20, but I recommend PLL and OLL if you want. OLL and PLL should be below 3 and 4 seconds respectively for sub 20. Train specifically recognition and execution. Make sure you have good algorithms. Try not to rotate too much, use U moves to look at the top layer. Plus, consistent turning speed in F2L before TPS. Once you’ve got consistent turning (which means you have good lookahead), it’s easy to speed up turns, but not the other way. And PRACTISE. LEARNING THIS IS USELESS IF YOU CAN’T PRACTISE IT.

Split data for sub 20 is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...53dy_J2WLXMY9RTnEep2efBPWI/edit#gid=578524837
I plan my whole cross during inspection and it is efficient. I do it at most with one rotation. I am really good at f2l as I practiced it alot. I kinda do lookahead, as I am doing a f2l pair I find a corner piece and try to trace it in my head while looking for its edge, but not all the time. I recogniz oll and pll fast but my excution is not that great(As my main is a qiyi warrior W) but if the cube doesn't get lock ups the excution becomes really smooth

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I plan my whole cross during inspection and it is efficient. I do it at most with one rotation. I am really good at f2l as I practiced it alot. I kinda do lookahead, as I am doing a f2l pair I find a corner piece and try to trace it in my head while looking for its edge, but not all the time. I recogniz oll and pll fast but my excution is not that great(As my main is a qiyi warrior W) but if the cube doesn't get lock ups the excution becomes really smooth

Never ever rotate during cross, it really slows it down. Try posting some example solves on the Solve Critique Thread so that we can see how efficient your F2L is. I'd start learning full PLL if you don't already know it, then move onto OLL. You can get a better cube if you want, the Qiyi MS is only 9 USD

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel

I found this video from Cube Master and I think that it's very important, especially for new cubers since most of them have a problem with only going in 1 direction (you will know what I mean when you watch the video)

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Oof I linked my copy, which is private. Actual link: https://www.cubeskills.com/blog/cfop-solve-splits-tool just set it so the splits add up to 20 for optimal 20 splits.

NeoBridgeburn

I have a few questions.
How do I plan out first pair during inspection?
I'm dual cn right now, should I switch to full?
What should I learn after OLL?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a few questions.
How do I plan out first pair during inspection?
I'm dual cn right now, should I switch to full?
What should I learn after OLL?
What‘s your average?
I don’t think you need cross+1 yet ;). Try planning out cross and lookahead into the first pair.
If you want, it shouldn’t take too long depending on your speed, and it becomes harder the faster you get. It’s decently beneficial too.
Full OLL? You should work on drilling all your algorithms, learning algs is just half the process. Remember PLL and F2L.