• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

samanar

Hi There, Will you be interested to help to teach speed cubing and fridrich/CFOP method etc for my son 9 years old? I think he knows very basic beginners method for 3x3. He is getting lot of interests these days with 3x3 and 4x4. Appreciate your help. We live in California/West Coast and can do a video conferencing.

The real main problem with everyone (including me) is the F2L, it takes to long and any mistake is PAINFUL, and I just practiced and I'm getting better at it, recognition for the old cases is hard but you'll get it with practice ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The real main problem with everyone (including me) is the F2L, it takes to long and any mistake is PAINFUL, and I just practiced and I'm getting better at it, recognition for the old cases is hard but you'll get it with practice ;)

My problem is that I don't know full OLL and PLL. My F2L only takes about 7-12 seconds, and my LL takes about 15 seconds. I use 4LLL because I don't know all the cases yet, so I'm pretty stuck at the 20-second mark, occasionally getting sub 20 with OLL and PLL cases that I know.

My problem is that I don't know full OLL and PLL. My F2L only takes about 7-12 seconds, and my LL takes about 15 seconds. I use 4LLL because I don't know all the cases yet, so I'm pretty stuck at the 20-second mark, occasionally getting sub 20 with OLL and PLL cases that I know.
I'm in the same my friend, I'm getting on the 20. You should really start working on your Oll and Pll!

xcross

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT CFOP! KEEP CFOP IN CFOP! IF THEYRE ASKING HOW TO GET FASTER HERE, THEY MOST LIKELY ALREADY PICKED CFOP! (im sorry i just hate when people constantly bring up new methods)

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your LL alone takes 15 seconds, while Cross+F2L takes 7-12?
Yes. Back when I was averaging 40+, I thought F2L would make me faster, so I spent all of my time optimizing that. It was then that I realized my LL was slower, it just didn't seem like it because I was 20 seconds into a solve when I got there.

Edit: I might put an example solve on my channel, and you guys can critique it, but you will see the good F2L, and the terrible LL. Let me know if this is a good idea.

xcross

Yes. Back when I was averaging 40+, I thought F2L would make me faster, so I spent all of my time optimizing that. It was then that I realized my LL was slower, it just didn't seem like it because I was 20 seconds into a solve when I got there.

Edit: I might put an example solve on my channel, and you guys can critique it, but you will see the good F2L, and the terrible LL. Let me know if this is a good idea.

(7-12, so we will take average scenario to make sure that it simulates an ao5, so 9.5) + 15s LL = somehow 20s mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

Then full 2lll will hurt you right now. Right now, your problem is recognition and execution speed, not the algorithms you know. Until your LL is under 7 seconds-ish(with 4 look), learning 2 look won't help your time

Yes. Back when I was averaging 40+, I thought F2L would make me faster, so I spent all of my time optimizing that. It was then that I realized my LL was slower, it just didn't seem like it because I was 20 seconds into a solve when I got there
My problem is quite the opposite, I have a decent last layer, while I'm still using intuitive F2L on some cases, but I think I have decent intuitive algs, now I'm averaging around sub 20 more often, learning full F2L is quite a bit of a challenge I think and also, my TPS is still quite slow, how to increase TPS?, because I know CFOP is a bit TPS intensive.

the cases where the white sticker is on the top is terrible but I know the algs for them, and try to prevent those cases during the previous F2L slot.

someone's actually ranting about advanced F2L hah

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
My problem is quite the opposite, I have a decent last layer, while I'm still using intuitive F2L on some cases, but I think I have decent intuitive algs, now I'm averaging around sub 20 more often.

Most of your F2L should be intuitive, you should only learn algs for cases where what you do intuitively is bad

My problem is quite the opposite, I have a decent last layer, while I'm still using intuitive F2L on some cases, but I think I have decent intuitive algs, now I'm averaging around sub 20 more often, learning full F2L is quite a bit of a challenge I think.

This video should help you understand.
F2L IS intuitive, and all the F2L algs you'll ever learn are intuitive. If your intuitive way to solve a case seems very slow to you, THEN you might want to learn an algorithm for it.

tell me again what the difference is between intuitive f2l and and just using algs. because I thought intuitive f2l was something else from what your saying it is.
Intuitive F2L you solve pieces using your brain, and algorithmic F2L you use a memorized algorithm to solve them.

PetitCarrot

I'm a relatively new cuber: I started 2 years ago, but I took a 1-year break after I got sub-30 for the first time. Then I was consistently getting high 30's but now my average is somewhere in the low 50's again. I still have my cfop 4lll algs memorized, but I find myself unable to improve (I started again some 3 months back). I tried my old methods of improving, I practiced 2 hours a day every day, I learned new algs, I asked Reddit, but I simply cannot improve! Can someone try to help please?

If you already know 4LLL after 2 years, you should learn full PLL and 2 look OLL (which is part of 4LLL) and be more efficient in F2L and the cross, when I was in sub 40, my problem was the cross and F2L, after I learned to do the cross on bottom, and be more efficient in F2L i was more than sub 40, and also be more fluid in your solves, try not to pause. Be not just fluid in Cross and F2L, also be fluid in last layer as I talked about using 3 look last layer (Full PLL, 2 Look OLL), and finally try to be faster in your transition from Cross to F2L and also F2L to Last layer, so the least in your priority is spamming TPS and learning full OLL as those are not needed until you reached sub - 20 or so.

I think this is the most generic answer for help.

If he doesn't know F2L, what's the reason to learn 4LLL? order : Beginner's method -> Transitioning from Beginner's method to CFOP by learning F2L -> 4LLL (2 Look Oll, 2 Look PLL) -> 3LLL (Full PLL, 2 Look OLL) -> Efficient cross and F2L and Cross to F2L transition -> 2LLL (Full OLL and PLL) You can do the 3LLL and Efficient F2L + Cross and cross to F2L transition steps at the same time to be faster than sub 40.

Also the last most generic answer to this question is, Practice. in the end, just that, even Feliks Zemdegs is fast with just OLL and PLL because he practices like a career and not a side hobby alot.

Last edited:
WCA
2017OWEN01
I'm a relatively new cuber: I started 2 years ago, but I took a 1-year break after I got sub-30 for the first time. Then I was consistently getting high 30's but now my average is somewhere in the low 50's again. I still have my cfop 4lll algs memorized, but I find myself unable to improve (I started again some 3 months back). I tried my old methods of improving, I practiced 2 hours a day every day, I learned new algs, I asked Reddit, but I simply cannot improve! Can someone try to help please?
do you know f2l?

PetitCarrot

do you know f2l?
ye I know f2l and 4lll I learned using cubeskills.com

If you already know 4LLL after 2 years, you should learn full PLL and 2 look OLL (which is part of 4LLL) and be more efficient in F2L and the cross, when I was in sub 40, my problem was the cross and F2L, after I learned to do the cross on bottom, and be more efficient in F2L i was more than sub 40, and also be more fluid in your solves, try not to pause. Be not just fluid in Cross and F2L, also be fluid in last layer as I talked about using 3 look last layer (Full PLL, 2 Look OLL), and finally try to be faster in your transition from Cross to F2L and also F2L to Last layer, so the least in your priority is spamming TPS and learning full OLL as those are not needed until you reached sub - 20 or so.

I think this is the most generic answer for help.

If he doesn't know F2L, what's the reason to learn 4LLL? order : Beginner's method -> Transitioning from Beginner's method to CFOP by learning F2L -> 4LLL (2 Look Oll, 2 Look PLL) -> 3LLL (Full PLL, 2 Look OLL) -> Efficient cross and F2L and Cross to F2L transition -> 2LLL (Full OLL and PLL) You can do the 3LLL and Efficient F2L + Cross and cross to F2L transition steps at the same time to be faster than sub 40.

Also the last most generic answer to this question is, Practice. in the end, just that, even Feliks Zemdegs is fast with just OLL and PLL because he practices like a career and not a side hobby alot.
I think I need to work on inspection and cross, and thanks for the advice