• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2019RASO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The most important thing to be working on right now is to finish learning OLL and PLL. A lot of people say to wait until a certain time barrier is broken, but that means when you break that barrier you have to focus on fundamentals rather than working on something more advanced.
When you get right down to it any time not focused on learning the rest of OLL and PLL is wasted time.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
The most important thing to be working on right now is to finish learning OLL and PLL. A lot of people say to wait until a certain time barrier is broken, but that means when you break that barrier you have to focus on fundamentals rather than working on something more advanced.
When you get right down to it any time not focused on learning the rest of OLL and PLL is wasted time.

No. Do not learn full OLL or PLL yet. At your speed, you are only hindering improvement by pumping algs into your brain. You can't be sub-20 if it takes more that 20 seconds to finish F2L. If I knew ZB, but was bad at F2L, I would be a lousy solver. Algs isn't everything with CFOP.

WCA
2019RASO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
No. Do not learn full OLL or PLL yet. At your speed, you are only hindering improvement by pumping algs into your brain. You can't be sub-20 if it takes more that 20 seconds to finish F2L. If I knew ZB, but was bad at F2L, I would be a lousy solver. Algs isn't everything with CFOP.
It's more important to work on fundamentals as early on as possible, that way when you have broken sub-20 (or even before you have) you can be working on things that aren't the basic framework of CFOP such as more advanced F2L, better finger tricks, reducing regrips, etc.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
It's more important to work on fundamentals as early on as possible, that way when you have broken sub-20 (or even before you have) you can be working on things that aren't the basic framework of CFOP such as more advanced F2L, better finger tricks, reducing regrips, etc.

I disagree. If you're burdening yourself with learning algs then you can't focus on improving the things that need to be improved. It's also been proven that you can be sub-10 with 4lll, even if this isn't advised. You should wait until you average around 25 seconds to learn PLL, and then follow it up with OLL.

Etotheipi

Learning 70+ algs when you are a new cuber is a bad idea. You won't have much experience with learning algs, so it will take much longer than a more experienced cuber who can recognise triggers and patterns and such. Then, since full OLL and PLL only cut off a few seconds, you will have used days if not weeks to gain an improvement that, at their level, you could have gotten from practicing F2L for a relatively short amount of time.

WCA
2019RASO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is not about practicing just enough of a certain thing to break a certain barrier it's about reinforcing good habits and not bad ones. We're not striving for sub-whatever, we're striving for perfection in a solve. When you learn full OLL and PLL early on in your solving career it opens so many doors of opportunity that otherwise would not have been opened. If you want to learn COLL, you can; if you want to start using some pseudo F2L, you can; and you don't have to say no to these opportunities because you really should learn OLL and PLL first and you keep putting it off.

Etotheipi

That's just plain wrong. It can be debated whether or not to learn OLL/PLL earlier or later, but you absolutely should not learn CFOP add ons(COLL, WV, etc.) before OLL/PLL. I'm not exactly fast, but any good cuber will tell you that.
Thats their point. They said if you learn OLL and PLL early on then you can learn add ons because you knocked OLL and PLL out. I think it does vary depending on your personal preferences. If you love learning algs, then go ahead, but if you dislike algs, then you shouldn't use CFOP. If your in between, then do what the average cuber does.

jdh3000

Just wondering if others are getting good times with just intuitive F2L and finger tricks, and look ahead.

I see videos on multi-slotting, pseudo-slotting, keyhole, x cross, but I find trying to learn any of this just conflicts with the flow of what I am already doing.

Much of it seems very case specific and very complicated.

Keyhole isn't that complicated yet, the time it takes for me to recognize what it is I could've already paired up and inserted, while working on my next pair.

I'm not saying these techniques aren't useful and probably are very fast and effort for someone who wishes to invest the time into learning them. I personally enjoy finding better ways to insert pairs using new finger tricks, better back slotting and lateral inserts.
The more intuitive I can keep it the better(for me).
I don't really consciously have algorithms for F2L, though the more I do a a particular insert, it becomes an algorithm, I just didn't learn it as such.

I don't know my exact average, I've timed in at under 20 on most solves... I consider that good for me.
I know there some who get extraordinary times just using the beginners method and good finger tricks... that's not me. I use full oll and pll to do what I do. My times should probably be better. I used to use 2 look but my times were much worse. Many just use 2 look and get great times. If you're fast enough two algs in 2 look become one algorith.

How are your times and what are you doing?

Last edited:
I don't main CFOP, but when I use it I feel very inefficient and slow. I use intuitive F2L, my F2L is almost pauseless, and I still get bad times. I think that if one is unwilling to learn all these techniques, it's just not the method for them.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Until you're sub-10, all you need is intuitive Cross+F2L(with perhaps a few algs for hard cases, but mostly intuitive), with 2 look last layer(full OLL + PLL). If by "really good with beginners method", you're talking about BrodyTheCuber, he's a sub-8 CFOP user that just did that for a funny video. With a sub-20 average, just practice your F2L(intuitively) and drill your OLL and PLL.

Also, pseudo-slotting is an FMC trick, not speedsolving with FMC.

jdh3000

Until you're sub-10, all you need is intuitive Cross+F2L(with perhaps a few algs for hard cases, but mostly intuitive), with 2 look last layer(full OLL + PLL). If by "really good with beginners method", you're talking about BrodyTheCuber, he's a sub-8 CFOP user that just did that for a funny video. With a sub-20 average, just practice your F2L(intuitively) and drill your OLL and PLL.

Also, pseudo-slotting is an FMC trick, not speedsolving with FMC.

Yea I wasn't sure about pseudo-slotting, just looked at it and seemed kind of out there.

I don't remember who I saw getting good times with the beginner's method.
Maybe I look at it wrong, I consider sub 20 good, and sub 15 really good and sub 10 excellent.
I'm pretty happy with my solves hovering around 20. I think I do better when I just use what I know and just solve. But then I start thinking I can do even better and start practicing something new. Sometimes it seems to help, but I seem to let go of what I was doing before and by the time I get my new technique down, it seems more difficult to get back into the swing of what I was doing before.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Yea I wasn't sure about pseudo-slotting, just looked at it and seemed kind of out there.

I don't remember who I saw getting good times with the beginner's method.
Maybe I look at it wrong, I consider sub 20 good, and sub 15 really good and sub 10 excellent.
I'm pretty happy with my solves hovering around 20. I think I do better when I just use what I know and just solve. But then I start thinking I can do even better and start practicing something new. Sometimes it seems to help, but I seem to let go of what I was doing before and by the time I get my new technique down, it seems more difficult to get back into the swing of what I was doing before.

Right now, you don't need to change anything. Just keep practicing, you don't need to learn anything. Of course, you should still improve little things(better finger tricks, more efficient F2L, etc.), but you don't need to just learn a bunch of new stuff(new alg sets, multislotting, etc.).

(Also beginners method sucks for speedsolving, it's stupid to try to get really fast with it)

FerrilRamsey

PDF Version of this Guide - March 23, 2013

Welcome! This thread will be a guide to help you get faster at solving the Rubik’s Cube using the popular Fridrich/CFOP method. Please read this thread and do some forum searching prior to asking questions about becoming faster.

First off, the most important factor is practice. No matter what method you use, or how many algorithms you know, you need to practice a lot to progress. With practice, you will be able to turn the cube faster, recognize cases ore quickly, and just in general gain a better understanding of the cube. You can even get sub 20 averages with a beginner’s method - but only if you practice a lot. No other factor is more important. So if you’re getting stuck, chances are you aren’t practicing enough!

Of course, we want to know to know how to practice to find the most efficient way to improve. Here are some basics steps to help you get faster. You do not have to follow these steps, as they are only meant to guide you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1
Current Average: 1:30+ or don't know how to solve a Rubik's Cube
Goal Average: 1:00-1:19

Learn how to solve the cube from here: Badmephisto's Youtube Video Tutorial He teaches you a simplified version of CFOP that will help you easily progress later on.
NOTE: It is possible to achieve below one minute with this method, just by practicing. If you are still stuck, follow these tips:
  • Get a better cube. Cubes like the Dayan ZhanChi and Dayan GuHong v2 are great – they allow for effortless turning and corner cutting. Lubricate your cube too – a decent method is using silicone spray, but using silicone oil is better.
  • Use finger tricks (this will speed up your times A LOT). You can become better at finger tricks by practicing.
  • Decrease your last layer time (to about 25 seconds or less) - you can do this by improving your recognition and execution for each case (to do this you must practice)
  • Try to reduce pauses, meaning, try to never stop turning during your solve. This can be done by practicing a lot!
  • Work on the cross. Try to do the cross in 12 moves or less, and under 12 seconds. Here is a link that will help you achieve/learn this (and then practice it a lot): http://cubefreak.net/speed/cfop/cross.php
  • Practice - The more you practice, the faster you'll become
  • Once you get a little used to the beginner method, you can also try inserting the first layer/side corners from different angles. See Macky's guide: http://cubefreak.net/speed/cfop/f2l_extensions.php
  • Use a timer to see your progression: You can use web based timers or PC timers.
Estimated Time: 2-4 weeks

Step 2
Current Average: 1:00-1:19
Goal Average: 40-49 seconds

Learning 4 Look Last Layer (4LLL). This means solving the last layer in 4 steps – consisting of Orienting the Last Layer in 2 steps (2 Look OLL), and Permuting the Last Layer in 2 steps (2 Look PLL).

2 Look OLL
  • Edge Orientation - 3 algorithms (technically 2)
  • Corner Orientation - 7 algorithms
2 Look PLL
  • Corner Permutation - 2 Algorithms Aa/Ab and E/V/Y/Na/Nb
  • Edge Permutation - 4 algorithms - Ua, Ub, Z, H
Here are some links explaining how to use the 4LLL (2 Look OLL + 2 Look PLL) algorithms for your last layer:

Step 3
Current Average: 40-49 seconds
Goal Average: 30-39 seconds

• Now learn intuitive First Two Layers (F2L).
  • Your times will temporarily worsen, but after a few days of practicing, they will significantly become better!
  • Practice your F2L A LOT, and never give up!

Step 4
Current Average: 30-39 seconds
Goal Average: 20-29 seconds

• Now, learn the rest of the PLL algorithms. Full PLL is 21 Algorithms (you have already learned 7 algorithms for 2-Look PLL) (Links where to learn the algorithms are at the bottom of this guide).
  • Learn how to look ahead during F2L - this will TREMENDOUSLY help your times. Looking ahead is one of the most important aspects of improving.
Estimated Time: 2-6 weeks

Step 5
Current Average: 20-29 seconds
Goal Average: 15-19 seconds

• Practice your F2L, learn/make up your own techniques, and possibly learn some of the algorithms for odd cases. (Links where to learn the F2L algorithms are at the bottom of this guide) Also, remember to look ahead (this is EXTREMELY important)! Try to complete your cross and F2L in 12 seconds or less on average.
  • Work on improving your speed for your OLLs and PLLs. Use triggers, and try to get all of the algorithms under 3 seconds for recognition and execution.
  • Get your cross below 4 seconds consistently (make sure you solve the cross on the bottom of the cube.)

Estimated Time: 1-2 months

Step 6
Current Average: Sub 20 Seconds
Goal Average: Below 15 seconds

• Get your cross and F2L done in under 10 seconds
  • Get your cross done in ~2 seconds on average
  • Learn how to do Extended Cross (x-cross)
  • Learn the rest of the OLL algorithms - 57 algorithms (Note that learning the OLLs will only help you by 2 second or less)
  • To learn/memorize the OLL's easier look at Badmephisto's video
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: 4+ months

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 7 (written by PoHos1)
Current Average: Below 15 Seconds
Goal Average: Sub10 or around 10

• Practice a lot f2l try to allways see first pair in f2l (inspection time)
  • Get your cross done in about 1.5 seconds
  • Practice yours Extended Cross (x-cross)
  • learn all pll and oll about 1.5 seconds like your cross
  • (also you can learn COLL if you want some time can help )
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: its only on you (at least 6 mounts)

F2L Algorithms:
OLL Algorithms:
PLL Algorithms:
You should print out your OLLs/PLLs so you can learn them and use them at any time. Keep in mind that you should choose the algorithms that best suit you. Just because one person is fast with an algorithm doesn't mean you will be fast with the same algorithm.

**The information provided in this thread was contributed by members in this post**
Thanks for this post :D

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, I think I am doing something wrong because although I know what I am going to do for every F2L pair i take like 10-12 moves. Somehow I average sub 15. should i bother learning full OLL?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Probably not, I assume you know full PLL. Film yourself or try some splits, and see if anything is wrong. By the way, don’t time splits individually, do F2L by doing Cross + F2L then taking away Cross time. (You have lookahead during cross)

Llewelys

You should definitely learn full OLL at some point, and sooner rather than later.
But your priority should be to make your F2L efficient, and for that I recommend watching example solves videos