• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
YouTube
Visit Channel
@icarneiro and @OreKehStrah

Would you suggest using a resource like J perm's f2l pdf to learn some efficient algorithms for certain cases? Just looked over it, I actually know 22 out of the 41 basic cases (some algorithmically, but majority muscle memory) not 12.
I think the pdf is good. Also watch jperms cross videos to get cross consistently under 6 seconds

icarneiro

@icarneiro and @OreKehStrah

Would you suggest using a resource like J perm's f2l pdf to learn some efficient algorithms for certain cases? Just looked over it, I actually know 22 out of the 41 basic cases (some algorithmically, but majority muscle memory) not 12.

I learned watching the jperm and BrodyTheCuber videos, I have to print the jperm pdf to learn some specific cases too

Izaden

I am learning CFOP, I have been using a beginners method previously. I learned to solve the cube about a year and a half ago but never worked on getting better until the past weekish.
Old Method:
  1. White cross oriented and permuted [O+P](With white face up)
  2. White corners O+P (1st layer)
  3. Second layer O+P
  4. Yellow cross O
  5. Yellow cross P
  6. Last 4 corners P
  7. Last 4 corners O (I believe 4-7 is BLL?)
So that's what I've been doing. I can get about 1:15-1:45 with that method depending on the scramble.
I am now transitioning to CFOP and my times are worse at about 1:45-2:30 but that it mainly because I am pausing during f2l a lot as I am learning cases
Current Method:
  1. white cross in 8 or less moves (yellow face up)
  2. F2L (Lots of pausing to decide what pair and what case, trying to be intuitive)
  3. BLL same as above as I am focusing on cross and F2L right now, will learn OLL & PLL later
What I want to ask is am I going about this in the right way, trying to optimise cross and F2L FIRST (And learning finger tricks) before getting in to OLL & PLL? or am I going about this all wrong?

GAN 356 X

If you are looking for something personalised, try Jayden McNeil. It's pricey, and I haven't tried it, but it's meant to be amazing
Brody the cuber also does lessons, and J perm does critiques if you support him on Patreon I believe. I would recommend signing up for Jayden Mcneil's newsletter. apart from helping me improve it also makes me laugh

T

Tavin25

Thanks, guys I will try Jayden Mcneil.

Gus Cyotheking is the best. It has great oll and pll algs. I would recommend for beginners as I have already learned 2 oll algs.

Iwannaganx

No disrespect intended, but please do not try Jayden’s services. I think that even he would agree that for your level, you should just try online resources, and he would probably just point you to those if you submitted some of your solves. Try J perm.
Yes, buying the improvement plan or whatever is probably not a good idea. But subscribe to his newsletter, it's really good

Dystro

Hey everyone,

I just started cubing two months ago and I am averaging at 25 seconds. I started to learn all the pll algorithms, but I feel like my times don't improve much.
I need about 3 seconds for cross, 12 seconds for F2l, 3 seconds for OLL and 6 seconds for PLL.
Do you have any tips what I should be working on?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Dystro

Record an ao5 or ao12, see how much time you spend in:

Cross
F2L
OLL
PLL

And tell us, this will help to understand in what you have to improve.
I need about 3 seconds for cross, 12 seconds for F2l, 3 seconds for oll and 6 seconds for pll.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone,

I just started cubing two months ago and I am averaging at 25 seconds. I started to learn all the pll algorithms, but I feel like my times don't improve much.
I need about 3 seconds for cross, 12 seconds for F2l, 3 seconds for OLL and 6 seconds for PLL.
Do you have any tips what I should be working on?
Thank you in advance!
F2L. It's half your current solve times and has lots of room for improvement.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I average around 19 seconds and I haven't improved yet. How could I improve?
cross: 3 seconds
F2L: 10 seconds
OLL: 3 seconds
PLL: 3 seconds

100% F2L.

I am currently just sub 20, so I’m not as good as you, but because i use 4LLL (i know algs suck), I average faster on cross and f2l.

Cross: 2
F2L: 8
OLL: 4.5 (dont ask)
PLL: 4.5 (dont ask)

What I think would’ve helped me when I was averaging what you are now (for the first 2L) would’ve been F2L lookahead and blindfolded cross solves. Making sure you know how to solve the cross during inspection is crucial for cross to f2l transition as you can looking for your first pair while not looking at the cross (while solving it). Take as long as you need to solve the cross blindfolded. With f2l lookahead, people continue to say “not look at the pair which you are solving”, which is what you should be doing, if you know how to solve every single f2l case blindfolded. Because if you do not know how to solve an f2l pair without looking at it, you will.......have to look at it, forcing bad lookahead. If you dont know how to do this, PLEASE do it, it helps so much. If you do, then and only then, focus on lookahead.

Also making sure you have efficient f2l pairing and inserting for each case is crucial because no one wants to be doing 30 moves just solving an f2l pair. Although I’m not the most qualified to answer this I hoped I gave some assistance.

KM the cuber

100% F2L.

I am currently just sub 20, so I’m not as good as you, but because I use 4LLL (i know algs suck), I average faster on cross and f2l.

Cross: 2
F2L: 8
OLL: 4.5 (dont ask)
PLL: 4.5 (dont ask)

What I think would’ve helped me when I was averaging what you are now (for the first 2L) would’ve been F2L lookahead and blindfolded cross solves. Making sure you know how to solve the cross during inspection is crucial for cross to f2l transition as you can looking for your first pair while not looking at the cross (while solving it). Take as long as you need to solve the cross blindfolded. With f2l lookahead, people continue to say “not look at the pair which you are solving”, which is what you should be doing, if you know how to solve every single f2l case blindfolded. Because if you do not know how to solve an f2l pair without looking at it, you will.......have to look at it, forcing bad lookahead. If you don't know how to do this, PLEASE do it, it helps so much. If you do, then and only then, focus on lookahead.

Also making sure you have efficient f2l pairing and inserting for each case is crucial because no one wants to be doing 30 moves just solving an f2l pair. Although I’m not the most qualified to answer this I hoped I gave some assistance.
Thank you for your advice.
I use full OLL and PLL I also know some Winter variation and COLL too(I suck at F2L)