• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

nightstar1623

Just finished learning full OLL about a week ago, and was wondering what the next step in alg subsets should be following OLL. My solves average around 17-18 s, so I know this won't make a huge difference for me yet, but I would just like to know some of the benefits and deficits to use one over the other, and whether it is worthwhile to learn both, and if so, which to learn first. For those that do use both, when do you decide to use WV vs. when to just insert the pair like normal and use COLL? Are there any other alg subsets I'm overlooking that could be similar in utility and worthwhile to learn?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just finished learning full OLL about a week ago, and was wondering what the next step in alg subsets should be following OLL. My solves average around 17-18 s, so I know this won't make a huge difference for me yet, but I would just like to know some of the benefits and deficits to use one over the other, and whether it is worthwhile to learn both, and if so, which to learn first. For those that do use both, when do you decide to use WV vs. when to just insert the pair like normal and use COLL? Are there any other alg subsets I'm overlooking that could be similar in utility and worthwhile to learn?

For now, I would probably advise you stick with grinding with the algs you have and work on the execution speed, fluency and recognition time as well as the intuitive parts of the solve.

If you really want to learn something else, I would recommend learning semi-intuitive VHLS and try to implement partial edge control into your solves (or the easy cases for VHLS) and afterwards learn COLL.

Hi I am a cuber and am sub 40.
I really want to become sub 30...

I use CFOP or fridrich method and here are the details :
I do -
Cross: 3 secs.
F2l : 20 to 22 secs
OLL : 5 to sometimes 10 secs
PLL : 6 to 10 secs

I USE 4LLL

YouTube
Visit Channel
Work a lot on your F2L, maily with lookahead and efficiency. For efficiency, try to solve each case in 11 moves or less. For lookahead, turn slow enough that you don't pause while solving, and slowly increase your TPS to match your lookahead. There are a lot of videos on YouTube for this, but look up "J Perm", he has a lot of great videos. And you should learn full PLL soon.

Work a lot on your F2L, maily with lookahead and efficiency. For efficiency, try to solve each case in 11 moves or less. For lookahead, turn slow enough that you don't pause while solving, and slowly increase your TPS to match your lookahead. There are a lot of videos on YouTube for this, but look up "J Perm", he has a lot of great videos. And you should learn full PLL soon.
Thank you very much because I wanted to hear if I have to work on my f2l

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I would start learning full PLL and focus on determining the most troublesome F2L cases that slow you down and optimizing those. Learning new stuff will initially make you slower so don't panic when that happens.

Ayush Tyagi

I average about 51 seconds I want to get sub 30 so how many hours I should practice a day to become sub 30 in a few months or weeks I use cfop method and know about 15 pll algorithms and intutive f2l and 2 look pll

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should practice for 2-3 hours a day. Divided into two 1-1,5 hour sessions. One in the morning, one in the evening. On weekdays, you do untimed solves for the first session and you should drill algs for the second session. Mornings are better for figuring stuff out, which is what untimed solves do. Evenings are better for memorizing stuff, which is what learning algs is about. On the weekends, you do timed solves in the morning and either untimed solves in the evening, or more alg drilling. If you do timed solves every day, your progress will be very slow. Do them every week and you should notice more progress.

rooroo2006

Hello, I just started learning pll for z perm how do we do m prime quickly?(currently i just do m3 but it takes a lot more time)

whimp

Hi, so I can't beat my records witch is 50sec. I solving CFOP method. Can you give me some tips to get better time ?

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
We need some more details. What is your cube, how long have you been stuck, what are your splits, i.e. how long does it take you to solve the cross, the f2l, the OLL and the PLL? Do you know full OLL and PLL? What is your turning speed per second? 2? 10? Do you take long pauses between steps, or is your turning fluent? How much do you practice every day? How do you practice? :)

whimp

F2l I can solve fast and PLL, but sometimes I get stuck on the OLL and Cross. My practise is just solving it. Maybe I should try Belt method or ZZ ?

We need some more details. What is your cube, how long have you been stuck, what are your splits, i.e. how long does it take you to solve the cross, the f2l, the OLL and the PLL? Do you know full OLL and PLL? What is your turning speed per second? 2? 10? Do you take long pauses between steps, or is your turning fluent? How much do you practice every day? How do you practice? :)
And sometimes I got stuck when I have to solve F2l

BitCube

If you get stuck on your cross, you will probably need to look ahead to your cross solution in inspection or at least 2-3 pieces. Getting better at F2L comes with practise, recognising edges and corners is something you get used to over time. Also practise OLL Recognition. Do you have anymore details i.e. how long each step takes you?

Bonkashi

F2l I can solve fast and PLL, but sometimes I get stuck on the OLL and Cross. My practise is just solving it. Maybe I should try Belt method or ZZ ?
Don't try to switch method now. I'd say just keep practicing your F2L and OLL if you get stuck. Also, see if some of the algs you use are the best they can be. I often see with people averaging what you average is that they use very bad algs for some easy cases

Hazel

Premium Member
Recently I've been finding that my times are inconsistent. I'll get a sub-10, then a 16, then a ten, then a 13. It's very frustrating since I'm trying to improve, and it's making me question whether or not I'm really sub-12 globally. Does anybody else have this problem and have some sort of solution?