• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

xyzzy

Should I learn F2L intuitivly or should I learn it with algorithms?

Learning intuitive F2L can make it easier to remember and identify the cases as they appear, but either is fine, really. (You'd eventually want to learn algs for the harder cases, too.)

Cube4Life

Hi guys. So I'm averaging 23 seconds currently. I've learned full oll and pll. I've learned algorithms for f2l cases that are wierd/ slow.

When I learned these f2l algs (week or so ago) I hoped that it would take me to sub 20 at least. After no result, I worked on lookahead for these new f2l algs which I was still unfamiliar with. I familiarized myself, only to improve by a measly 2 seconds.

I feel...Stuck. Idk what i should do now to become sub 20. Work on cross maybe?

Last edited:

Alex B71

I've never understood why people learn F2L the algorithmic way. It should be learnt, in my opinion, the way commutators are learnt... Intuitively. Because once have a full understanding of it, it becomes very powerful. Think of it this way, you can sit down and learn 800 algs off a list or you can understand the mechanics behind the algorithm and make your own and then consult other peoples algs to see what's better and then be a part of the accumulative learning process.

So finally my advice to you is break out of the boundaries you've put yourself in. Try learning a new method, like roux or ZZ, to expand your knowledge. Turn slow and think about what is happening to the cube when you apply these algorithms, it'll teach you alot of tricks regarding Keyhole, Multislotting, Edge control, pair preservation and much more.

Also, in regards to cross. Try solving it in 8-10 moves every time, any lower is always better, turn slow and track where some later needed pieces are going. Don't worry if when doing these things you become slower at first because you will surely speed up, but i will warn you progression will begin to drastically slow down for you now.

Cube4Life

I've never understood why people learn F2L the algorithmic way. It should be learnt, in my opinion, the way commutators are learnt... Intuitively. Because once have a full understanding of it, it becomes very powerful. Think of it this way, you can sit down and learn 800 algs off a list or you can understand the mechanics behind the algorithm and make your own and then consult other peoples algs to see what's better and then be a part of the accumulative learning process.

So finally my advice to you is break out of the boundaries you've put yourself in. Try learning a new method, like roux or ZZ, to expand your knowledge. Turn slow and think about what is happening to the cube when you apply these algorithms, it'll teach you alot of tricks regarding Keyhole, Multislotting, Edge control, pair preservation and much more.

Also, in regards to cross. Try solving it in 8-10 moves every time, any lower is always better, turn slow and track where some later needed pieces are going. Don't worry if when doing these things you become slower at first because you will surely speed up, but i will warn you progression will begin to drastically slow down for you now.
No, I use intuitive f2l. I only learned algs for cases which gave me trouble. I wouldn't like algorithmic f2l, eithier, and don't understand why people use it either.

bren077s

I would advise you to record your solves and then analyze them. You will be able to see what takes up the most time and how often you pause.

greentgoatgal

Q.How to stop looking at the current pair which I am solving during F2L??How to get every F2L case in muscle memory if I am doing intuitive F2L??:)

Do slow, un-timed solves just to focus on not looking at the pair you're inserting.

Muscle memory intuitive f2l just took a lot practice for me.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Q.How to stop looking at the current pair which I am solving during F2L??How to get every F2L case in muscle memory if I am doing intuitive F2L??:)

Eventually you'll be able to 1-look every case and know exactly what you need to do to solve it. Practice by doing untimed solves and doing each F2L pair blindfolded. If you can do that, then you can start looking ahead to other pairs.

Hi guys, I have been cubing for a few years now but only just go into speed cubing. I have learnt f2l, 2 look oll and I am currently learning full pll I was wondering if anybody has and tips to learning/ recognising algs and other useful things to get better. Thanks!!!!

This sort of depends on what your current times are. PLL is definitely a great thing to learn, and after that you may want to focus on either F2L lookahead or learning full OLL depending on how fast your F2l already is.
Thanks I have sort of started to do some cross and f2l look ahead. I average around 15 seconds with f2l (I know that's bad but I'm working on it) and I'm about half way through learning pll now.

WCA
2017DRAB01
Sooooo, I've just finished learning pll and I am sub-20, I've heard that OLL only reduces times by 1 or 2 seconds. Learning it right now doesn't seem like the right decision. F2L is where its at and I am SUPER inconsistent at it. It basically decides if I get a 17 second time or a 22 second time. (Also since I 2 look OLL, Dot cases are TERRIBLE). What do I do??? I'm slow solving, I'm looking ahead. I'm stuckkk

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learning it right now doesn't seem like the right decision.

You're probably right that OLL isn't the most important thing right now, but learning some easy cases never hurts. I always like to have an algset that I'm slowly working on learning in the background. It took me around 2 years to learn full OLL and PLL, but that's because I never really focused on them; I just learned an alg or two whenever I felt like it. Casual alg-learning is pretty nice, especially when the algs eventually add up into something tangible in your solves. :)

(Also since I 2 look OLL, Dot cases are TERRIBLE)

It won't single-handedly save your solves, but edge control is very helpful. Basically, you can influence your OLL case in F2L by orienting LL edges in your last couple pairs. Try experimenting with sledgehammers (R' F R F') as opposed to regular insertions to see how they affect last layer edge orientation.

I'm slow solving, I'm looking ahead. I'm stuckkk

You've probably heard this before, but it gave me a new mindset the first time I heard it: never look at the pieces you're solving; always look at the ones you'll solve next. If you know the exact alg for the F2L pair you're about to do and can do it blindfolded, don't look at those two pieces; instead, try to find the next two you'll need.

WCA
2017DRAB01
You're probably right that OLL isn't the most important thing right now, but learning some easy cases never hurts. I always like to have an algset that I'm slowly working on learning in the background. It took me around 2 years to learn full OLL and PLL, but that's because I never really focused on them; I just learned an alg or two whenever I felt like it. Casual alg-learning is pretty nice, especially when the algs eventually add up into something tangible in your solves. :)

It won't single-handedly save your solves, but edge control is very helpful. Basically, you can influence your OLL case in F2L by orienting LL edges in your last couple pairs. Try experimenting with sledgehammers (R' F R F') as opposed to regular insertions to see how they affect last layer edge orientation.

You've probably heard this before, but it gave me a new mindset the first time I heard it: never look at the pieces you're solving; always look at the ones you'll solve next. If you know the exact alg for the F2L pair you're about to do and can do it blindfolded, don't look at those two pieces; instead, try to find the next two you'll need.

Thanks you Mr. Helpful person-o,