• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use CFOP and average 23-24 seconds. My cross is 4-10 seconds usually, should I focus on that first? I solve white cross only (with yellow I'm around 10-15 seconds slower) and also not on bottom. However in most cases the advices I read say "work on F2L" and "improve lookahead" which is something I could do as well of course.

If your cross is 10 seconds, and you average 23-24 seconds, that means the rest of your solve is sub-15. Work on your cross, and try to get it down to 2-3 seconds. Easily, that will drop your times, just like flies.

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hm, I already watched it, it doesn't tell me anything new. :/

Maybe it's not new but knowing something and taking full advantage of it is not always the same. If your cross is taking you 4-10 seconds then you should consider what you can do better, because a more reasonable time would be 2-4 seconds, for your speed. Are you spending enough time inspecting so that you could do your entire cross blindfolded? How many moves is it taking you? It should be no more than 8 moves and a bit less on average. Maybe if you post a video of a couple of solves people can help you with more specific advice.

I average about 14.5 on 3x3, color neutral and knows full PLL. What should I learn/do? Do I have to learn all the OLLs?

I think at your speed (I'm slower so I may be wrong) full OLL and specific easy/good cases of last slot techniques to force an OLL skip, alternative orientations for some PLLs (like the U-perms) at that kind of things start to be worth learning.

Also you will need to progressively increase your TPS by either of two means: if your lookahead is already very good just by turning a bit faster while maintaining your good lookahead or else by improving your lookahead if your TPS is already decently fast. See what your "weak point" is of these two and work on that. I think that's what will take you to sub-12/sub-10 territory. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

ct5010

I average about 14.5 on 3x3, color neutral and knows full PLL. What should I learn/do? Do I have to learn all the OLLs?

Definitely full OLL. I average around 17s and am learning them right now, it is a lot easier than I thought. Many of them are really easy and derivatives from the 2-look cases (so look for those and learn them first). I have been learning full OLL for three days now and now I know 43/57 OLLs. If you really want to, it should take one or two weeks to learn them all.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe it's not new but knowing something and taking full advantage of it is not always the same. If your cross is taking you 4-10 seconds then you should consider what you can do better, because a more reasonable time would be 2-4 seconds, for your speed. Are you spending enough time inspecting so that you could do your entire cross blindfolded? How many moves is it taking you? It should be no more than 8 moves and a bit less on average. Maybe if you post a video of a couple of solves people can help you with more specific advice.

In fact I can't do the entire cross blindfolded. Or I can but I need to spend some minutes of inspection then. Those solves don't happen to be considerably faster than my usual solves but maybe I need to do more of them. I think unless it's a really easy cross I need more like 10-15 moves for it.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
In fact I can't do the entire cross blindfolded. Or I can but I need to spend some minutes of inspection then. Those solves don't happen to be considerably faster than my usual solves but maybe I need to do more of them. I think unless it's a really easy cross I need more like 10-15 moves for it.

should be 8 moves or less almost every time.

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yo people.
I have determined my F2L needs improving.
I avg ~13.5 seconds. Here an avg of 12 of my F2L (INC cross).
I know some algs for bad F2L cases.
8.561, 9.448, 8.082, 11.809, 8.121, 8.280, 8.752, 7.865, 8.289, (7.553), 8.720, (12.625) = 8.79 avg 12
What can I do to improve my F2L to say..6 seconds?

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
Yo people.
I have determined my F2L needs improving.
I avg ~13.5 seconds. Here an avg of 12 of my F2L (INC cross).
I know some algs for bad F2L cases.
8.561, 9.448, 8.082, 11.809, 8.121, 8.280, 8.752, 7.865, 8.289, (7.553), 8.720, (12.625) = 8.79 avg 12
What can I do to improve my F2L to say..6 seconds?

Slow down your tps until you completely eliminate pauses between pairs. Make your solves as fluid as possible. Then you will be able to naturally increase your tps until it is back to what it was but your solves wouls have fewer pauses.

Cuber1812

Inconsistient solving times

I have a Moyu AuLong V2 and have lubed/tensioned it. My best solve is 35.89 seconds (F2L/Freidrich-beginner hybrid last layer) and for the last week or so the fastest I have been able to get is 53 seconds. Any tips? By the way I have been solving for roughly 3.5-4 months and practice very often.

bluesk1

What I recommend doing is taking a 2-week long break. I found that taking a break really helped me, it might help you as well.

Cuber1812

Okay, that sounds reasonable. Ill try it and reply how it works in a week or so. Thanks for the suggestion.

Phaint

Short breaks are never a bad thing but you should make sure you do slow solves as well. That should help with consistency and efficiency.

Praetorian

YouTube
Visit Channel
why is my lookahead better on 4x4? I did a 4x4 mean (which was 2:03.55) and the 3x3 stage it was just so much easier to find pairs, then after that I go to do 3x3 and my times are better cause it seems easier than 4x4. my lookahead is usually bad on 3x3 cause I have a hard time finding pairs but lately I've been getting better at that

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
why is my lookahead better on 4x4? I did a 4x4 mean (which was 2:03.55) and the 3x3 stage it was just so much easier to find pairs, then after that I go to do 3x3 and my times are better cause it seems easier than 4x4. my lookahead is usually bad on 3x3 cause I have a hard time finding pairs but lately I've been getting better at that

It's probably because you turn slower on 4x4 (can't turn big cubes as fast as 3x3) and lookahead is easier