• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Llewelys

Sometimes during lookahead, i fail to find the pairs since they are in the back slots, what can i do to avoid that?
You should solve pairs in the back
And if you already do that, try to take advantage a maximum of empty slots, especially if they're in the back: you'll get potentially interesting pieces out of them and on the U layer

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
yeah i think so too, though i have been stuck at this average for the past week.
If it’s only been a week, you’ll need a little more time. Your progression won’t be as fast as it was when you were slower because there’s less to improve. Don’t get me wrong, you still have a lot to improve (just like everybody else), but there’s less than when you were averaging 40-50 seconds.

hey, my splits are 4, 15, 4, 4 for cross, f2l, oll, pll. Also what do you mean by slow solves, i don't understand. Most of the time I lose is during cross to f2l transition as i struggle to find the first pair. Sometimes during lookahead, i fail to find the pairs since they are in the back slots, what can i do to avoid that? Thanks
Slow solves are basically untimed solves where you think about every move and what the most efficient thing to do is. If you do enough of them then it will just become habit. This is all explained better in the video as well.

This video helped me become sub-20:

Also, what are your splits? By that, I mean how long does it usually take you to do cross, F2L, OLL and PLL? If you don't know, then go on to csTimer.net, go to settings, click timer and change multiphase to 4. Then, after every step press the space bar. This takes a bit of getting used to and you shouldn't use it for normal solves as pressing the spacebar wastes time. To be sub-20, your cross must be below 2.5 seconds, your f2l below 10 seconds, your OLL 4 seconds and PLL 3 seconds. When you have checked your splits, work on individual areas that aren't below the times I have said. For cross, do blindfolded cross solves, for F2L do slow solves and for OLL and PLL use an algorithm trainer like jperm.net or thebestsiteever.ru. Becoming colour neutral will also help but it isn't necessary.

Finally, I don't recommend learning full OLL as the time spent learning algorithms could instead be used doing slow solves and practicing the algorithms you already know. For context, I am (almost) sub 18 and I have only just started learning full OLL.
How much time did it take you to become sub-20? I just started a month and a half ago and I am sub-30 right now

How much time did it take you to become sub-20? I just started a month and a half ago and I am sub-30 right now
Long answer: I've known how to solve a cube for 3 years, but have only been speedcubing since about September last year when I saw The Speed Cubers documentary on Netflix. I then did 2x2 for about 2 months and got sub 5 because 3x3 didn't really interest me at the time. Then I learnt CFOP for 3x3 in November. I got a 5x5 for Christmas and a megaminx, square-1 and 4x4 soon after. So I've been cubing for about 3 years but SPEEDcubing for about 7 months and doing 3x3 for 5.

Short answer: 5 months.

Hey! I have learned to solve the 3x3 in nov 2020, so it has been 5 months since i learned how to solve a 3x3. I think i learned cfop at 1min15, beginn8ng of december, about 3 week-end after i learned how to solve the 3x3. I am now avg about 26 to 27 seconds with almost full pll, 2 look oll. I have 6 or 7 sub 20 solves, and my PB is 14.80. Oh and i also bought a megaminx, pyraminx, 2x2 and 4x4 and i also do those events, but my main focus is 3x3. Does anybody now how i could improve? Thanks, a slow cuber.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey! I have learned to solve the 3x3 in nov 2020, so it has been 5 months since i learned how to solve a 3x3. I think i learned cfop at 1min15, beginn8ng of december, about 3 week-end after i learned how to solve the 3x3. I am now avg about 26 to 27 seconds with almost full pll, 2 look oll. I have 6 or 7 sub 20 solves, and my PB is 14.80. Oh and i also bought a megaminx, pyraminx, 2x2 and 4x4 and i also do those events, but my main focus is 3x3. Does anybody now how i could improve? Thanks, a slow cuber.
At this stage, just practising will be fine until you hit a big roadblock. You can finish learning full PLL, and if you want, you can learn full OLL (though it’s not necessary to be sub 20). For F2L, make sure all your solutions are good (check them against a good sheet), and know them by heart, so when you see a case you can instantly execute the solution. For cross, try make sure you can plan it out in inspection, or at least track the pieces, starting with maybe 2 or 3 pieces to begin with

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
What are the splits for sub10-sub 9?
This is a pretty good tool

Go into the doc, input your splits and see what you need to work on. The site is generally pretty good as well

YouTube
Visit Channel
Finish learning intuitive f2l before you learn last layer algs. 4LLL can take you really far. If you learn intuitive f2l and get very comfortable with it, I guarantee that you can easily get sub 17 and farther. Also when you are done with f2l either learn full PLL or look ahead.

GooseCuber

I currently do cfop 3lll and use a Gan 356m lite and I have a best time of 21.88 but cant get past the 30-40 second average barrier .
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

CubeRed

I currently do cfop 3lll and use a Gan 356m lite and I have a best time of 21.88 but cant get past the 30-40 second average barrier .
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
I recommend doing a split session on csTimer (multiphase) and noticing your weaknesses.
The ideal time split for 30 seconds is about
3~5
12~15
4~5
4~5
(I'm not that sure so ask maybe?)