• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
How to increase TPS? I feel like my solve was quite fluid but not fast enough. I feel like this is the major issue. I watched my solves on youtube using the unlisted feature that JPerm talked about, when I watched those solves, I saw that my TPS is not fast enough. How to increase them? I drilled my algs like crazy doing J perms, U perms and T perms because those algs was fast, but still, I did not increased by TPS. how?

How to increase TPS? I feel like my solve was quite fluid but not fast enough. I feel like this is the major issue. I watched my solves on youtube using the unlisted feature that JPerm talked about, when I watched those solves, I saw that my TPS is not fast enough. How to increase them? I drilled my algs like crazy doing J perms, U perms and T perms because those algs was fast, but still, I did not increased by TPS. how?
Don't worry about TPS if your solves are fluid, just keep practising and your TPS will improve. And even if it doesn't, no big deal. Watch SpeedCubeReview's last video, his TPS is very low but he still gets 11s.
If you think fluidity is good and TPS is not, methods like ZZ or roux are good for that, as they have a lower movecount.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
If you already know 4LLL after 2 years, you should learn full PLL and 2 look OLL (which is part of 4LLL) and be more efficient in F2L and the cross, when I was in sub 40, my problem was the cross and F2L, after I learned to do the cross on bottom, and be more efficient in F2L i was more than sub 40, and also be more fluid in your solves, try not to pause. Be not just fluid in Cross and F2L, also be fluid in last layer as I talked about using 3 look last layer (Full PLL, 2 Look OLL), and finally try to be faster in your transition from Cross to F2L and also F2L to Last layer, so the least in your priority is spamming TPS and learning full OLL as those are not needed until you reached sub - 20 or so.

At that speed, knowing 2lll will at best help him a second or two, and at worse make him slower by a second or two. Until your recognition for 4lll is close to instant, learning 2lll won't help.

If he doesn't know F2L, what's the reason to learn 4LLL? order : Beginner's method -> Transitioning from Beginner's method to CFOP by learning F2L -> 4LLL (2 Look Oll, 2 Look PLL) -> 3LLL (Full PLL, 2 Look OLL) -> Efficient cross and F2L and Cross to F2L transition -> 2LLL (Full OLL and PLL) You can do the 3LLL and Efficient F2L + Cross and cross to F2L transition steps at the same time to be faster than sub 40.

I learned 4lll before F2L because to was hard to learn. And I think that development strategy sucks. People are slow because they're F2L and LL recognition is bad, not because they know 4lll instead of 2-look. I don't even know PLL but am securely sub-20. I would reccomend learning PLL before then, but it proves you don't need 2-look. Here's my progression for a CFOP solver:

Learning to solve a cube
Learn beginner's method and practice

50-1:30
Learn CFOP(F2L and 4lll) and practice

45-50
Improve cross+F2L efficiency and practice

40-45

35-40

30-35

~30
Look at your LL. If your recognition is very quick and pauses are virtually nonexistent for LL, then start learning PLL. If you still have trouble with recognition, then don't. Also improve cross+F2L efficiency and practice.

20-30
If you haven't learned full PLL, then reevaluate your LL. If you now almost pauseless with 4lll, then go ahead and learn PLL. If you've already learned PLL, then start learning OLL. Also improve cross+F2L efficiency and practice

15-20
Improve cross+F2L efficiency and practice, start learning OLL after PLL

10-15
If you're comfortable with 2lll and don't mind learning algs, you could consider learning some more alg sets like WV or COLL if you want, but not necessary. Improve cross+F2L efficiency and practice

Sub-10 and beyond
Improve cross+F2L efficiency and practice, you can keep learning algs if you want

Get the pattern? Waiting to start improving F2L and instead learning 2-look at 30+ seconds is detrimental(even more so at 40+), and will require a LOT of catch up work later when you know 2lll, have bad recognition because you learned it super early, and your F2L sucks because all your practice has gone into algs. Plus algs are easier to learn as a faster solver than a beginner. Algs don't help that much, and the improvement is basically 0 at 30+ seconds.

WCA
2017DEDI01
Just a question. Is there a thread where it shows what algorithms JPerm does for PLL? Thanks
He once made a spreadsheet of the algorithms he uses to compare their efficiencies, you can find the link in the description of the second video of his "Why you algorithms suck" series

Sent from my D2 using Tapatalk

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
And learn 2LLL.

No, not needed at 45 seconds. At that speed, the reason LL is slow is because of recognition and execution, which means learning PLL or OLL will only make him slower. Until your recognition is almost instantaneous, learning 2lll is useless and even hurts. I'd recommend taking a look at your LL at around 30 seconds to see if you've pushed 2-look PLL very fast(doing PLL in about 3-5 seconds). If so, start learning PLL and then go right into OLL. If not, try practicing 4lll some more and then later start learning them

brododragon

No, not needed at 45 seconds. At that speed, the reason LL is slow is because of recognition and execution, which means learning PLL or OLL will only make him slower. Until your recognition is almost instantaneous, learning 2lll is useless and even hurts. I'd recommend taking a look at your LL at around 30 seconds to see if you've pushed 2-look PLL very fast(doing PLL in about 3-5 seconds). If so, start learning PLL and then go right into OLL. If not, try practicing 4lll some more and then later start learning them
Good points, but even though I average around 50 seconds, getting a PLL I know can save me 5 seconds. If you're not good at recognition, probably try to get good at it before moving to 2LLL. Also, instead of just learning all the PLL's, just learn them along the way, so you can incorporate them, but isn't painful. Here's a really good recognition resource: D8FB9CA3-97B8-45F6-AD9B-CFCE77396A37.png

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Good points, but even though I average around 50 seconds, getting a PLL I know can save me 5 seconds. If you're not good at recognition, probably try to get good at it before moving to 2LLL. Also, instead of just learning all the PLL's, just learn them along the way, so you can incorporate them, but isn't painful. Here's a really good recognition resource: View attachment 11716

If getting a PLL you know saves you 5 seconds over doing 2-look, then you majorly need to drill your 2-look algs and recognition of EPLLs

Truth

I literally just got a new PB of 17.34. I want to be sub 15 ao100 by the end of the school year. Any tips??? (I know full pll and some full oll)