• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cuber-26

WCA
2017SHIT02
I started to play cubes in 2017, and my 3*3's average of 100 is about 10.7. It stayed for too long that I feel it is difficult to improve more. I just want to get sub-10 in a quicker time. What kind of algs should I learn? Are there any skiils about look-ahead or get better on F2Ls? Could you please give me some advice?
(I learned all of the CFOP algs and a bit WV, COLL.)
(If you can't understand my English, I'm sorry about that because I'm not quite good at English and I hardly ever send English passages.)

cuber-26

WCA
2017SHIT02

hadofhfo

.General question on what to do next.
Here are my splits:
3 second cross
13 second f2l
7 second LL
anything I should really be focusing on to improve? I'm leaning towards f2l, but most of my algs are pretty efficient, 8 moves or less with some exceptions.

Last edited:
YouTube
filipemtx
.General question on what to do next.
Here are my splits:
3 second cross
13 second f2l
7 second LL
anything I should really be focusing on to improve? I'm leaning towards f2l, but most of my algs are pretty efficient, 8 moves or less with some exceptions.

Anthem

I just broke sub 30 and would like to know what I should prioritize to get sub 20

SMTCubes

Hello everyone,

Is sub-10 in 2 months possible?

I average about 11-12 seconds with CFOP. I have a competition in mid-October (Bay Area Speedcubin' 20).

Here is my goal and current time breakdown:
Goal:
Cross (with first pair recognition)- 1 second
F2L- 5.5 seconds
OLL (with PLL recognition)- 1.5-1.75 seconds
PLL- 1.25-1.5 seconds
Time: 9.5 seconds

Current:
Cross- 1.5 seconds
First pair recognition- ~0-0.5 seconds
F2L- 5.5-6 seconds
OLL (with PLL recognition)- ~2 seconds
PLL- ~2 seconds
Time: 11-12 seconds

Is this a reasonable goal to reach? If not, is it reasonable to reach this by the beginning of 2020?

Thanks!

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
DGCubes
Definitely possible, but I'd need more information about your progress/practice habits to say if it's likely. I personally was averaging mid-11 about two years ago and still haven't quite reached sub-10. Others have gotten sub-10 within their first year of cubing. :p

I'd say it mainly comes down to how much you focus on 3x3 as opposed to other events, as well as how effective your practice habits are. There's also the more intangible factor of "natural talent;" some people will need to put in more effort than others to improve quickly.

SMTCubes

Definitely possible, but I'd need more information about your progress/practice habits to say if it's likely. I personally was averaging mid-11 about two years ago and still haven't quite reached sub-10. Others have gotten sub-10 within their first year of cubing. :p

I'd say it mainly comes down to how much you focus on 3x3 as opposed to other events, as well as how effective your practice habits are. There's also the more intangible factor of "natural talent;" some people will need to put in more effort than others to improve quickly.
I just wanted to mention that I'm a pretty big fan of your channel lol.

To answer your question, I was stuck at a 13-14 second roadblock for some time but I've been steadily improving from here, getting myself to a 12.09 AO100. I basically only focus on 3x3 with the exception of some 3x3OH, and I'm not sure about the "natural talent" thing. I'm trying to find good practice habits and good things to start picking up (getting my first pair in inspection, etc...)

KillerCuber

Do I have to learn full PLL first or be colour neutral. I average about 40 and know advanced f2l, 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL.

SM cubing

WCA
2018MACK04
i can assure you that you dont know “advanced” f2l, so i would improve on that, but also i think if you want to be color neutral PLEASE do it now when its easy to improve. also learning algs is improtant, so id say learn pll first and then immediatly after do oll. during all this, improve your f2l by getting efficient solutions for each and every case

KillerCuber

i can assure you that you dont know “advanced” f2l, so i would improve on that, but also i think if you want to be color neutral PLEASE do it now when its easy to improve. also learning algs is improtant, so id say learn pll first and then immediatly after do oll. during all this, improve your f2l by getting efficient solutions for each and every case
Thanks man

THENXY

Yo Cubers,
Bit of context, when I was young I use to speed cube back in 2012-early 2013 and stopped for some reason averaging around 15-16s, came back 5 weeks ago and bought a budget QIYI warrior cube, the first day was averaging sub 40 because I had lost my speed and OLL & PLL algs. Fast forward now I got from SUB40 to now averaging 17.5, in 5 weeks. Finally learnt full pll and nearly half OLL and use intuitive f2l with some adv algs. With my mass cutting of times how long till I can achieve that big sub 10 and sub15 and how do I get there because I don't think learning OLL full would do as much.

I attached a spreadsheet of me recording my averages and PBS for the past 3 weeks.

Attachments

Jeff Dunham

Ye. I started learning how to solve about 3 weeks ago. I learned CFOP.
Currently my algorithm bank looks like this:
  • Full PLL (have been practising this for about 1-2 weeks)
  • 2 Look OLL.
  • Some F2L algorithms. (Not many; about 12 out of the 41 basic cases.
My time average is 40 seconds. (pb is 36 with PLL skip, 39 full step).
Which algorithms should I learn next? F2L, Full OLL , both at the same time? I can usually learn 5 algorithms a day, but since retaining that knowledge is crucial I need to learn it in the right order.
My splits are like this:
Cross: 6-7 Seconds
F2L: 20 seconds
OLL: 8 Seconds
PLL: 7 Seconds