• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How many turns for f2l

Bobbycartuner

WCA
2009BURK01
Hi
I'm using the fridrich method to solve the cube and know all the 21PLL algs and app 52 of the OLL algs. My avg times somehow get stuck between 20 and 25seconds (if i concentrate hard they move towards 20sec but never get better for 2 month now) PB single was 15 seconds non lucky.
I think there ist some more time to get on f2l . I wonder if i do right there.
it takes me (in average) 36 moves for f2l (with cross) .
I now wonder if this number is okay or should i learn more shortcuts??

or even finish learning my full fridrich and than go to learn some coll algs??

Greetz from Germany

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
F2L should be around 6 moves for cross, and then 7-8 moves per pair. So thats about 36 on average, so you are not doing too bad. The most important thing with f2l is your lookahead, try turning a bit slower and putting all of your effort into trying to find your next pair. It's hard at first, but really pays off later. And don't bother learning COLL if you know full Fridrich, you can still be very fast without it.

Just so you know, I was stuck at around 22 for all of summer 2008, when I finally got sub-20 in early September. Don't give up hope.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My average is about 14-16 seconds at home, average average is probably 15.3 or 15.4 to give you an idea of level of speed. Here are 10 solves, each done at about 2 moves per second so that I can simulate a fast solve but also still count the number of turns I am doing. I used 10 seconds of inspection or less on each one.

29 (partial cross)
29 (X-cross)
36 (partial cross)
29 (X-cross)
26 (X-cross)
30 (X-cross)

average: 31.1 moves

Partial cross means I started solving F2L pairs before I finished solving the cross, with the intention to insert the remaining cross piece(s) at a later time. X-cross means I started by building a 2x2x2 block and the other 2 cross edges either by direct solving or by actively using block-building instead of just cross then F2L pairs. I also use dual solving, which means I am very slightly more likely to get easier solves than just sticking to one color (I choose the easier starting cross of either white or yellow).

I recommend to experiment with X-cross, as well as empty slot F2L tricks and other ways that are either RU 2-gen or RUF 3-gen to pair pieces. Keep at it, F2L is key for fast times, and hope this helps! Remember that lowering your move count does help, but the true secret is to remove any and all pauses during your solving. Try to solve to the beat of a metronome to practice this, http://www.metronomeonline.com

Chris