• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How Many Solves I Need To Do Per Day?

This is great. More means more amelioration but if you do 200, you will not improve 2x more and this can demotivate you. What's important to improve is to cube daily. If you do 300 solves one day of the week and nothing the other days you'll not improve
Thanks for your advice

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you do 300 sloves one day of the week and nothing the other days you'll not improve
This is factually incorrect, as I have been improving steadily in OH with, large, non daily, sporadic sessions.

However, it probably isn't the best was to go about it. Sometimes I'll not do any serious solving for a week or two, do a session and improve by .2 seconds out of nowhere. But, if I had been doing ~50 solves every day for those two weeks, then I for sure would have improved more.

I compete in track and field, and I've wanted to test out if similar workouts could work for cubing for a while. For instance, a training plan could look like this:
Day 1: easy run: 50 solves

Day 2: hard workout: learn a dozen algorithms + drilling + 50 solves

Day 3: recovery run: 30 solves + drilling

Day 4: light workout: drill + learn some more algs + 50 solves

Day 5: race prep: 60 solves + solidify any iffy algs by isolating and drilling the crap out of them

Day 6: long run / race: 100+ solves + WCA style ao5

Day 7: rest / shake out: 15 solves or none and just casual solving all day

So algorithms could be switched out for anything, like deliberate cross+1 practice or anything like that. Number of solves is pretty arbitrary and could be increased or decreased, but the general scale is about right.

Of course, this could be all nonsense. The whole reason there are workouts and easy days in track is to break down your muscles, so when you sleep, they grow back stronger. I don't know if this is necessary for cubing, since after sub 30 or so, finger speed doesn't change a whole lot. Maybe just cranking out 150+ solves is going to be enough to keep getting faster.

It probably is.

Flowkap

With full time job a household and a kid, I do roughly 30 timed solves a week+ a lot of in between practising when there's time. Apparently I improve mir slowly, but it doesn't matter for me. Sometimes I can do a session at the evening with 30-50 solves. But that is more rare. As I average just sub 1 minute that's like an hour at least. I guess average time affects a lot how many solves you can do.

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
For me, that is crazy. Seriously. I think you're fine where you're at, but personally, I would be doing focused practising in certain areas, like the last pair of F2L (If you use Fridrich/CFOP). That's what I do at least, so I only end up doing 8-12 full solves per day
If 100 for you is crazy then my minimum 500 to my maximum 750ish should really shock you. This is over many cube types, but I probably have more time than the average person, being homeschooled and all. I'm improving very fast doing this many solves, and I'm learning more tricks, so maybe just do whatever feels comfortable for you, and see where it takes you.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Half your time should be dedicated to slow solving and learning new algs, that is putting into practice better habits. At least I'm pretty sure this is what Feliks said some time ago.

Cuber2s

WCA
2021DACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Half your time should be dedicated to slow solving and learning new algs, that is putting into practice better habits. At least I'm pretty sure this is what Feliks said some time ago.
I'm to lazy to learn full oll, so I practice f2l for about 30 minutes a day. Besides, I'm only sub 15.

With full time job a household and a kid, I do roughly 30 timed solves a week+ a lot of in between practising when there's time. Apparently I improve mir slowly, but it doesn't matter for me. Sometimes I can do a session at the evening with 30-50 solves. But that is more rare. As I average just sub 1 minute that's like an hour at least. I guess average time affects a lot how many solves you can do.
That is actually a great idea if you don't have much free time. Personally, I am stuffed with free time so I do 200 or 300 solves a day. Including other events, probably around 400 solves

FenTheGoat

YouTube
Visit Channel
Depends, just doing solves won't make you faster, it just makes habits. Do a mix of regular solves and dedicated practice like alg drilling and learning new algs or practicing f2l or cross.

Cubing_Marmot

I make sure to do a few untimed solves per day, practice algs/good habits and once a week I do a session with timed solves if you do all of this you will improve and this will give you more motivation.

WCA
2022LOHK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what i do is do tons of solves everyday for a few weeks and then get a few days break

so by tons of solves i mean like 50+ solves consistently everyday in that period of time. and somedays maybe even 200+ solves when im bored. by doing this, i have time to reflect on my solves.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know about 3x3, maybe 500 solves a day is enough to maintain all your fingertricks and top lookahead.

I can more certainly say for 5BLD. 20 solves a day for 5BLD is good enough to achieve the target of sub-2 minutes which is super easy to achieve yo!