• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How Many Solves I Need To Do Per Day?

Apolo

This is great. More means more amelioration but if you do 200, you will not improve 2x more and this can demotivate you. What's important to improve is to cube daily. If you do 300 sloves one day of the week and nothing the other days you'll not improve

This is great. More means more amelioration but if you do 200, you will not improve 2x more and this can demotivate you. What's important to improve is to cube daily. If you do 300 solves one day of the week and nothing the other days you'll not improve
Thanks for your advice

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
channel/UCXxvOAAJVVoR7UfjeAv_bjA
If you do 300 sloves one day of the week and nothing the other days you'll not improve
This is factually incorrect, as I have been improving steadily in OH with, large, non daily, sporadic sessions.

However, it probably isn't the best was to go about it. Sometimes I'll not do any serious solving for a week or two, do a session and improve by .2 seconds out of nowhere. But, if I had been doing ~50 solves every day for those two weeks, then I for sure would have improved more.

I compete in track and field, and I've wanted to test out if similar workouts could work for cubing for a while. For instance, a training plan could look like this:
Day 1: easy run: 50 solves

Day 2: hard workout: learn a dozen algorithms + drilling + 50 solves

Day 3: recovery run: 30 solves + drilling

Day 4: light workout: drill + learn some more algs + 50 solves

Day 5: race prep: 60 solves + solidify any iffy algs by isolating and drilling the crap out of them

Day 6: long run / race: 100+ solves + WCA style ao5

Day 7: rest / shake out: 15 solves or none and just casual solving all day

So algorithms could be switched out for anything, like deliberate cross+1 practice or anything like that. Number of solves is pretty arbitrary and could be increased or decreased, but the general scale is about right.

Of course, this could be all nonsense. The whole reason there are workouts and easy days in track is to break down your muscles, so when you sleep, they grow back stronger. I don't know if this is necessary for cubing, since after sub 30 or so, finger speed doesn't change a whole lot. Maybe just cranking out 150+ solves is going to be enough to keep getting faster.

It probably is.

PetrusQuber

Cubez, England, UK, Europe, Earth, Solar System
YouTube
N/A
...maximum 100.
For me, that is crazy. Seriously. I think you're fine where you're at, but personally, I would be doing focused practising in certain areas, like the last pair of F2L (If you use Fridrich/CFOP). That's what I do at least, so I only end up doing 8-12 full solves per day

Last edited: