• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

how many PLL time attack orders return to solved state?

whauk

WCA
2008KARL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
title says it all.
you are allowed to do rotations/AUFs in between. (otherwise it would make not much sense)
i was not even able to find an approach for this problem. i hope you come up with some solutions :D

additional (easier?) problem: we do not use only PLLs but all possible states after OLL. (288 if i am not mistaken)

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
well an alg could start with a U or whatever changing the AUf or angle.

Uh... your point is?

Well ok, there are at most 21! different permutations, your "combinations" threw me off a bit. Sorry about that.

it would still take a while to do 10^19 combinations

Not more than a few seconds if done right, I think. Of course they shouldn't be counted one by one, but rather using DP (dynamic programming) like Lucas said.

Last edited:
WCA
2009LIPA01
I'm trying to write something, mostly for my own educational purposes. But I am by no means a good programmer. Or even a programmer at all. So I could use some help.

I want to represent the edges and corners as indices 1 through 8, and each PLL as a permutation of these indices, which I'd probably represent with one-line notation implemented as lists. The recursive method would look something like

permute(list of PLLs already applied, current permutation, list of PLLs not yet applied).

It would go through the list of PLLs not yet applied, apply it to the current permutation, add it to the list of PLLs already applied, and call permute on each one. I'd memoize based on current permutation and list of PLLs not yet applied. The list of PLLs already applied would just be for reference at the end. So that's around 8! * 2^21 subcases (probably a few factors less than that, since not all 8! permutations of corners and edges can be attained). Correct? Viable?

[EDIT: I forgot that I'd also have to account for AUFs in between PLLs. But that's my general intent/idea.]

Last edited:

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Uh... your point is?

Well ok, there are at most 21! different permutations, your "combinations" threw me off a bit. Sorry about that.

actually it may be more, since there 21! permutations for just the plls themselves TFGGHV etc but most of them have 4 reflections. so if VTGG were the only plls it would be 4*4*3*4*2*4*1*4 or no?

So that's around 8! * 2^21 subcases (probably a few factors less than that, since not all 8! permutations of corners and edges can be attained). Correct? Viable?

it wouldnt be 8! it would be 2*4! and where is the 2^21 coming from?

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
[EDIT: I forgot that I'd also have to account for AUFs in between PLLs. But that's my general intent/idea.]

That's my general plan as well, but those pesky AUFs give me trouble. Also, but just for fun: The PLLs don't have to be applied to just one layer. You could apply some to U and some to R and still end up with a solved cube. That might provide even more possibilities. But I don't want to go there :)

actually it may be more, since there 21! permutations for just the plls themselves TFGGHV etc but most of them have 4 reflections. so if VTGG were the only plls it would be 4*4*3*4*2*4*1*4 or no?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

it wouldnt be 8! it would be 2*4!

It's not 2*4! and not even 4!^2 but rather 4!^2 / 2 (because of parity) or 4!^2 / (2*4) (with normalization).

where is the 2^21 coming from?

The subsets of PLLs already applied.

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's my general plan as well, but those pesky AUFs give me trouble. Also, but just for fun: The PLLs don't have to be applied to just one layer. You could apply some to U and some to R and still end up with a solved cube. That might provide even more possibilities. But I don't want to go there :)
It doesn't feel right to have a PLL attack that involves doing some PLLs on the wrong face. I think we should ignore this possibility.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, that's partly why I didn't want to go there. It's not just the fear of complexity :D

Though I'd love to see a PLL attack that mid-way has F2L solved and all LL pieces misoriented (and ends up with the cube solved).

Last edited:
WCA
2009LIPA01
It's not 2*4! and not even 4!^2 but rather 4!^2 / 2 (because of parity) or 4!^2 / (2*4) (with normalization).

Oh right. My bad.

There are only four possibilities for AUFs (none, U, U', U2), so I'd probably just call permute four times for each possible next PLL.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are only four possibilities for AUFs (none, U, U', U2), so I'd probably just call permute four times for each possible next PLL.
I was just going to keep track of all 72 in equivalence classes; it's easier to build up "transition tables" for partial work and reduce over the PLLs or something. Maybe not, I'm just blabbing. Just be aware of Z, E, N, N, H.

(Stop tempting me to go solve this right now.)