• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How long did it take you to learn all the PLLs?

DAE_JA_VOO

By the looks of things, i need to spend about 2-3 days on each PLL alg to learn it to the point that it's part of muscle memory and i don't need to concentrate to execute it.

How long did you guys take to learn all the PLLs?

Leo

I don't think you need to 2-3 days per alg, when I started I learned a few algs everyday until I got to the longer and harder ones and noticed I was having trouble remembering them.

blgentry

I just checked to see how long it has taken me. I've learned 19 of the 21 PLLs. The only thing I have left are the two N permutations, which come up so infrequently, I've been putting off committing them to memory.

From what I just checked, it took me 6 weeks to learn the 19 PLLs, but that's not totally fair because I already knew several of them (7) from learning a 4 look last layer. So I guess I only learned 12 in 6 weeks.

For the past three or four weeks, I have not tried to learn the N perms, but I have switched out two of my PLLs and one of my OLLs. The more I use them, the more I find that several of my PLLs are clunky and slow. So changing out the bad ones for algs that I can run faster or more consistently seems like a bigger win to me than memorizing those last 2 Ns.

I should note that my PLLs are not completely muscle memory, but most of them are very close to pure "no thought" execution. Most, but not all.

I still need work on all aspects of the CFOP; learning the 2 remaining PLLs is on the list, but I expect to make bigger gains in other areas first.

Brian.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learn when I feel like it. I stayed with only J and U for a long time. Then I learned all except N, R, and G's which I learned all in 2 days.

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me... well after I learned the 4 Look Last Layer. It took me about 1 weeks to learn the rest. I actually finished learning them today! :)

I learned about 2-3 per day, and now I'm having trouble with the G permutations (particularly b and d).

Last edited:

Arget

It took me...2 months? I actually learned them the first month and a half (18/21), then i slacked off and held off last 3 for a whole month :p

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned about 1.5 a day and i already knew 4/21 from Beginners method. From the 17 remaining only about 10 are ACTUALLY new algorithms, because of all the similarities and also because of all the symmetries. For example after I am comfortable doing an alg with right hand I can usually mirror it to my left without problems after just a little bit of practice.

All PLLs took me about a week.
Mind you i couldnt execute them fast or anything, but I knew pretty much all of them.

DAE_JA_VOO

Hmmm... so it seems that most of you didn't do it the way i'm doing it (i.e. committing the alg to muscle memory and then moving to the next one). It seems that you guys studied them "half-half" and then just practiced.

I wonder if i should do that....

I started with the PLLs about a week ago, maybe 8 or 9 days, and i can do 4 of the algs now, muscle memory style. I'll start a new one tomorrow (it's 12am here)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What I did was work on a new one for 20 minutes in the morning for 2 days, then move on to the next. I did take weekends off though.

Crzyazn

Memorization of all PLLs took 2-3 weeks, to commit it totally to "eye memory"
Basically, I could memorize 3-4 PLLs per day, simply by learning a PLL and its inverse at the same time. For the odd PLLs (like T or V) I simply sat down and practiced for 5min to commit it to memory

I have yet to master the fingertricks though.....

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
blgentry,

I am using a particular N permutation that was very simple to learn.

(LU'R U2 L'UR')*2U'

The mirror case is straightforward. It might not be real fast, but it does the job.

I forgot to add, I am still learning the PLL's and have just Y and G1,2,3,4 to finish. I am learning about two per week. I already knew some beginner permutations for edge swapping, so I might replace those later with faster ones, but that's a low priority for now.

Last edited:

niKo

WCA
2008KAUF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To "learn" an algorithm I think it means not having to think about it when the case comes up, and no pauses mid-execution. That certainly doesn't mean it can be done very fast at first - practice is key.

I "learned" full Fridrich in a month and a half. Kind of surprises me, looking back. I learned the PLLs thoughout the first month.

- For PLLs, I drew lines in between convenient groups of moves (fingertricks, but I didn't know that at the time), every 3-5 moves or so. Really helped me to memorize an algorithm - I could do it in sections.

- For OLLs I did the same thing, only now with more knowledge of fingertricks. Instead of learning all right-handed algorithms, I learned mirrors at the same time, for OLLs they pertained to. (That may be why my times are as suck as they are, but idc, helps ambidextrousness).

-niKo

*LukeMayn*

WCA
2009MAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
so far its taken me like 1 and a half months but the ones that I use a really fast cos I always go over them. My U.a avaerage is under 1.40 seconds and my best U.a is 1.25 seconds. I remember through patterns the cube makes through the alg and how the pieces come togather. The I focus on finger tricks for a solid period of time then I do it without even thinkine. my U perms are to fast to think anyway...

Last edited:

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
commit to muscle memory takes only doing the alg 2 or 3 times. But it is temporary unless you practice. I didn't bother learning all until I was sub-30. I wont learn all OLL until I'm sub-16

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
blgentry,

I am using a particular N permutation that was very simple to learn.

(LU'R U2 L'UR')*2U'

I used that for a while but didn't like the speed or how it flowed, then I started doing it starting with a z or z' to put U on the side and allowed me to perform D's with my ring fingers. It's just a little faster and still one of my slowest and least favorite perms, but it's working until I find something better.

MistArts

5 days... 5 algs a day. Just memorizing in my brain then took about a few weeks for muscle memo.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
commit to muscle memory takes only doing the alg 2 or 3 times.

LOL.

Dude, you must be an absolute genius is you can do an alg with NO concentration in 2 or 3 tries.

no, that's only with the last 10 or so PLLs. The sune actually took me almost an hour to get down when I was a beginner. After a while, memorizing algorithms just get so easy, I don't know why. But it is very boring, I prefer solving any puzzle with as less memorized algs as possible, unless it is BLD.