• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast did progress with cubing?

CubingCockney

Hey guys! I've been cubing since July '10 and at the moment I'm sub-30 with a PB of 17.51.

Sometimes though I just think "I've seen cubers on here that have been cubing for only 6 months or so and are already sub-15" and I just wonder where I'm going wrong

Really, all I want to know is how fast did you progress? where were you at with your cubing when you reached the amount of time I have been cubing for or when did you achieve your first sub-15 avg. Etc Etc.

My heart goes out to all of you sexy cubers.

~ CubingCockney

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
Been cubing for over a year, non lucky pb: 19.45 - avg12: 24.79

not bothering so much about time anymore, I still time myself once in a while though, being satisfied that I'm still sub30 with CFOP, after getting sub30 with roux I will go to the next method and so on, I'm more of a casual solver :p

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Been cubing for 5 months, using roux for 4 months. I average 16-18, non-lucky PB 9.79.
I'm taking a week of roux, though, and gonna try to develop my heise skills :D

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
I'm nowhere near as fast as the above. Been cubing since Dec, average about 50s with nl pb 41.15. I cube every day but only for about 15-20 mins. (Trust me, my life is so busy I'm doing well at that). Just finished learning f2l and now trying to add a few ll algs. Just taking it slowly and really enjoying it...

caseyd

WCA
2011DECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah I have been cubing for almost 3 months, using cfop with 2 look oll, and a few f2l algorithms ( but mostly intuitive) and my most recent competition average was a 23 i believe, and my pb is a 16.55 ( ironically set at the competition ( not official) a few minutes be fore Dan Cohen got a 16.55 one handed

Clayy9

I've been cubing since last October (I finally found some of my averages from then), and I average ~23 seconds. I somewhat jumped from sup-30 to sub-25.

G

Georgeanderre

Since my first ever timed solve, ive never really progressed ... atleast not 3x3, ive never stuck to 1 method long enough once ive learnt l2lk i will probably stick with it and eventually go for sub 20
I still average 30 seconds with all of my methods, which isn't to bad
On the other hand i have progresed fast on 7x7, 9 mins to 7 mins in 2 weeks, may be 6 mins in a week or 2

Jedi5412

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ive cubed for 5 months since january. And Near to Sub 20. Im not progressing much because ive been working mostly on 2x2 the last 2 months. Pretty much worked on 3x3 for around 3 months them the last 2 months were all 2x2. Ive gotten a sub 3 average of 12 as in my signature and average 3.5x ish so im glad ive become sub 4 in the past 2 months

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
I have been cubing for a few days less than one year. I currently average sub-14.5; PB avg100 is 14.19

I reached sub-30 after 2 months, sub-20 3 months after that (a total of 5 months)

cubeslayer

Cubingcockney,

Foremost awesome job. Back in the 80s, man , you would have been godly with that PB 17.51 s of yours .

I've been cubing since the late spring of '09. And my PB with LBL that summer was something ghastly like 2 minutes.
Early summer of '10 I began f2l---#%&* in the _____. Getting over "automatic" LBL was like going through withdrawal---my times dropped badly again, and I hated f2l and speed cubers with a passion. 48 seconds was my best.
It wasn't until late summer of '10 I got off of my buttocks and tackled the PLLs. 39 seconds my best.
By december of '10, my PB was 25 sec with 2 OLL.
Currently, I am missing 9 OLL algs, with a PB of 16.28 and an avg of 21 ....My progress has been slow, but that has been my blessing.
I know it takes hard work, and more importantly, cubing has taught me patience---I took that into consideration when I began hitting a few roadblocks in Calculus. I was not going to get any better by hammering blindly away at practice sessions. I took a deep breathe, and began solving the problems slower while thinking more ( MORE quality solving, like with the cube). When it came time to the final, I was able to dish it out my responses fast as well as accurate ( b/c I had already invested the time).
DON'T SWEAT ABOUT OTHERS. Keep cubing. You can get to a 25 avg by looking ahead and turning slowly. I pissed my pants when I did that , b/c bursting I was getting a 29 avg. I've dropped 25 to 21 by further practicing look ahead. My last layer alone takes me 8 seconds to finish and my cross 4 seconds. So I know where I need to practice in order to break the coveted 15s avg.
Hope this helped, take what you will.

Last edited:

maggot

i have been cubing for many years, but seriously everyday with long timed sessions for about 2 years-ish? i didnt take cubing seriously at first but once i learn CFOP with 4LLL i broke my LBL times in about 2 months. then i learned PLL and that dropped me to about 35-40. with practice i took it down to 25. i was at 20-25 for about 8 or 9 months and then i started breaking 20 second barrier. i learned full OLL over about 2 months. then i went from ~20 to ~15 in about 3 months. of course it wasnt just OLL, it was learning a lot of tricks, my lookahead improved vastly, my cross is close to optimal, fiddled around and finally got comfortable with multiple angle F2L, F2L shortcuts etc. over the past year or so i've had a lot of time to practice. the biggest contribution to my success in breaking barriers is PRACTICING A LOT and becoming comfortable with what i knew. the more i learn about the cube and its mechanics, the easier it is to memorize algs, find efficient ways to make crosses etc. .

its one of those things that everyone learns at their own pace. personally, cramming algs is a drag. spending more time with the cube is not only enjoyable, but if you are focused and engaged you are probably learning. it just doesnt feel like it. once you feel like you have optimized your solve, there is typically something else to learn that will help your times. for example, practicing 5x5 improved my 3x3 times vastly. the lookahead on a 5x5 (the way i solve) is much more complex than on a 3x3. once i picked up a 3x3, i was turning slower, but the lookahead was there. after a short couple of sessions, my times started improving. my big setback seems to be turnspeed on the last layer. so, lately, i've been trying to find better algs and have been customizing my PLL fingertricks.

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
1 year and a half cubing, PB: 16.21 single, 20.21 avg12

I don't mind my times too much and cubing is just one of many hobbies/activities for me. Is just a thing I do for fun and getting al crazed up about times will take he fun out of it (I know, happened before with other activities when they became competitive to me). Don't worry about your times too much, enjoy cubing and realize there will always be people better or more talented than you (unless you are Faz) and just try to progress without getting frustrated.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
1 year and a half cubing, PB: 16.21 single, 20.21 avg12

I don't mind my times too much and cubing is just one of many hobbies/activities for me. Is just a thing I do for fun and getting al crazed up about times will take he fun out of it (I know, happened before with other activities when they became competitive to me). Don't worry about your times too much, enjoy cubing and realize there will always be people better or more talented than you (unless you are Faz) and just try to progress without getting frustrated.

lol Faz is not the best at everything

RTh

YouTube
Visit Channel
About 6 months cubing. Took me nearly 75 days to get my first sub-20 Ao12. Started learning 2OLL the second week of December, finished in 3 days, another 4 days to practice. PLL took me a month and a half, 2 weeks to learn all the algs, 3 weeks for practising.

Started with OLL the same day I got sub-20, and finished by the end of April.

3 months to go from 20 Ao12 to where I am right now.

fiftyniner

wow. Glad to know there are others who have been cubing for "years"!

I started in 08. Currently av sub20. Am over 50 yrs old.

Andrew Ricci

Anonymity is for Nubs
WCA
2010RICC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
cubingprogressaugust201.png

Slightly out of date, as I average about 11.4 now, but you get the picture. cwutididthar?