• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast can anyone be?

WCA
2014RONG01
Thread starter #1
Hey all

a random question popped up again for umpteenth time.
How fast could anyone become at speedcubing (if they don't have any clear dissailities that would prevent them physically or mentally to do cubing related stuff).
I'm mainly curious what everyone thinks. (especially for 3x3, but also curious about thoughts on other events)

Personally I'm certain anyone could become sub-30
But I also think anyone would be able to reach around 10 seoncds if they practice correctly.

WCA
2018TARN02
I've had a similar question but specifically pertaining to age. I'm 35 and feel perfectly capable of solving at a high level, but also think it would be foolish to deny that someone much younger might physically have a higher ceiling when it comes to solving speed.

WCA
2014RONG01
Thread starter #3
I've had a similar question but specifically pertaining to age. I'm 35 and feel perfectly capable of solving at a high level, but also think it would be foolish to deny that someone much younger might physically have a higher ceiling when it comes to solving speed.
Nice remark, I have to admit that I didn't take age into account yet. Although I'm still confident about the 30 seconds.
But I guess only time will tell how much age affects cubing abilities when certain world class people will have been competing non stop for year and say they hit the age of 40

WCA
2016LEWI07
We were recently discussing this in the 'How fast are the older cubers thread'. Established muscle memory is still quite good for me at 51; as a guitarist for more than 35 years my technique and dexterity are better than ever. When it comes to forging new pathways, however, I think we're much slower to progress. So someone like Ron van Bruchem, who has been solving since the 80s without a hiatus, is still respectably fast but I think getting to sub 15 from scratch for someone my age is more difficult than someone in their teens. Beyond muscle memory is probably the biggest issue: my reaction time just isn't what it was when I was, say, 20.

I agree that most people without a limiting physical/mental condition could at least get sub 30 if they cared and were driven to do so. I think ~20 seems to be the line where many people hit the big plateau. With my own progress I can clearly see that it's going to require a boost in turn speed to get faster than ~16.

YouTube
filipemtx
I started cubing 20 years old, and I got sub20 avg100 when I was practicing for almost a year. Now I can get sub17 avg100 with some practice and commitment but I don't see myself improving a lot in the furure.

But... I can see myself getting a little bit faster by changing my main method from CFOP to ZZ and practicing seriously every day