• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How can my SpeedCubes die?

hUSIN

I saw many speedcubers on youtube talking about their cubes starting to die and they should replace them... So is that true? and if it's true how long does cubes remain alive XD (sorry for my bad English btw).

Hazel

Premium Member
It's definitely true. A speedcube should remain "alive" for thousands or maybe even tens of thousands of solves, providing you clean out and relube the cube regularly and you treat it well. Once a cube has died, there's really no way to revive it.

hUSIN

It's definitely true. A speedcube should remain "alive" for thousands or maybe even tens of thousands of solves, providing you clean out and relube the cube regularly and you treat it well. Once a cube has died, there's really no way to revive it.
And how exactly I know when it dies? XD (ik stupid question)

Hazel

Premium Member
Puzzles don't die. They just get old and worn but they can be refurbished with a little work and maybe some new parts.

I guess folks just say their puzzles are dead as an excuse to buy new ones.
If you use a puzzle enough, it'll wear down and break in to the point where you would have to replace so much of the cube that there's really no point in doing so. I experienced my Valk die a while ago, and nothing I tried could bring it back to a very usable state.