• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

how can I swap 2 edges or 2 corners on the U layer?

If we're talking 3x3x3, you can't do either on it's own. You must make an even number of piece swaps -- see Ryan Heise's Laws of the Cube at http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/cube_laws.html. Both of the states you describe are impossible to solve without disassembly.

If you want to swap both UBR/UFR and UF/UR, that's what known as a Jb permutation. The one I use is

(R U R' F') (R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R' U'

but there are plenty more.

Now someone wiser than myself will come along and tell you how to do it with commutators (either that or they'll call you a n00b). Or, you could learn yourself at Joel van Noort's excellent site -- http://solvethecube.110mb.com/commutators.html

The 'solution' that you're trying to reach is likely an impossible state of the cube. There must be another solution that is a legal cube state.

I've never tried one of these, but I'd image that the way to do it is to attack it with a piece of paper before getting your hands dirty. You should be able to solve the puzzle multiple ways, at least one of which will be physically possible to replicate on the cube.

I'd suggest that, unless you're really good at match the scramble, the easiest way to actually recreate your theoretical solution on the cube would be a BLD method - maybe orient first 3OP or Classic Pochmann. Don't forget you can easily rotate centres once you've solved the rest of it.

Good luck!

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
cookingfat1
Thread starter #6
thanks, I've got to have made some mistake somewhere then.

The way I've been doing it is LBL method for F2l (I'm using pictures of some of the sides of a solved cube for reference)

I made a paper cube so I could work out where each piece goes and I've managed to complete all the letters, so I have a paper cube of how it should look solved. Then I've been trying to use classic pochmann to move the last layer pieces about. . This cube's pretty hard.

edit - tried again and now 2 opposite corners need swapping. mmmmm....

Last edited:
I would think that you need to find another solution. The one you're trying to achieve is clearly not a legal state. I'd suggest you go back to your paper cube and try to figure out another arrangement that would work :)

YouTube
vulosityhd
Since your center cubies have letters on them that mark their orientation, I think that you have to rotate them using PLL's. Tis will probaly make the 3x3 solvable.

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
cookingfat1
Thread starter #9
ok, I finally figured it out (with help from CAT13). My paper cube was correct, it had to be as there is only one solution for this cube, there are no identical pieces, no two corners have the same letters, only two pairs of edges share the same letters but they are different orientations, so swapping them wouldn't work.

By doing this algorithm >

U2 R2 D R' L B' R2 F2 U D' R' F' B U

it changes 2 edge pieces and also swaps the top and bottom centres which were both letter O, front and right centres which were both A, back and left centres which were both E.

try it on a solved cube.

then I just rotated the centres so they all aligned.

Man, this cube was certainly a challenge.

Last edited: