• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How about using the Hiragana script as lettering scheme?

Would you prefer this?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
WCA
2012BRAS01
As a Japanese learner, I was thinking about doing this. I didn't though, here's a couple reasons why.

- For audio memo, each target would be a mora, which is less compact than combining 2 letters to make a syllable.
- My Japanese vocabulary is bad, meaning kana pair images would be impossible to reliably come up with.
- 26 letters maps better to the 23/24 letters you need than 40something kana. I imagine a kana scheme would involve each face being a different consonant, with the four different targets on the face being different vowels. Since Japanese has 5 vowels, this is really ugly IMO.

Saying this, I'm really curious to how BLD solvers in Japan memorize. My Japanese skills are still definitely too weak to understand any videos, and reading through a written guide would be painful. Maybe someone could enlighten me?

Hopefully you take my thoughts into account. Good luck coming up with something that works for you!

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
abunickabhi
Sounds cool, although clubbing 2 characters will be less efficient.

It is better to stick with English and get 2-3 letter blocks that we can meaningfully associate with objects.

Although Chinese character system, or somewhat Kanji in Japanese, will be a good system for good retrieval in 3BLD and MBLD.