• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Homemade StackMat Tournament Display [Prototype]

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My brother and I have built this functioning tournament display using an old clock 7 segment display and some circuit wizardry.

March Update!
The Tournament Display Unit is compatible with all the StackMat Version Gen2 and up. (It is untested with the QJ and Yuxin timers.)
It is tripod mountable for easy displaying, assembly and disassembly.
Please leave any questions in the comments, we will be setting up a webpage to purchase these units shortly.
The case is custom molded high quality urethane, the board is powered by a 9-volt or a USB cord. (Batteries and Cords will NOT be included with the product although we will be sure to give you a link where you can buy them.)
To get in line on our pre-order list please send me an email: [email protected]

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, so we are looking to order some 7 seg LED displays and were wondering, what size digits would be best? color (red?)? Do you know where we can get a bunch of them for a decent price?
We are thinking 3 Larger for the seconds/minutes and 3 smaller ones for the decimals.

Thanks!

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If the project becomes finalized, will you consider making a tutorial?

Possibly.... as i'm typing this my brother is like no no no, anyone could wire it up, the trick is the code, and the final product, which since we own a 3D printer and our dad has a polyurethane molding business we can make look pretty nice.
We have spent about 20 bucks on this project so far, and still need to order LEDS and more computer chips PCB's etc, all in all buying it would be better,
a.) if we mass(ish) produce them we should be able to make them work nicely and look good.
b.) it's cheaper to buy in gross amounts rather than buying single stuff, so you'd probably end up spending more
c.) my brother needs to boost his self esteem, and your purchase would help do that :)

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you put any thought into final dimensions, screen size, stand/holding mechanism? You have so much more to add still and are at $20. Speedstacks sells theirs for $90 on there website.

-Doug

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you put any thought into final dimensions, screen size, stand/holding mechanism? You have so much more to add still and are at $20. Speedstacks sells theirs for $90 on there website.

-Doug

We are thinking we can cast a tripod screw into the molding, we aren't sure how big the screen will be- the larger the exponentially more expensive :( hopefully buying in mass will offset costs for us, the highest we should be selling it would be $50, that's if we can't find anything reasonably priced.

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
We are thinking we can cast a tripod screw into the molding, we aren't sure how big the screen will be- the larger the exponentially more expensive :( hopefully buying in mass will offset costs for us, the highest we should be selling it would be $50, that's if we can't find anything reasonably priced.

If you are thinking of marketing this, you definitely need to figure out what people want the most. The speedstack displays are nice, but personally I would only want a display that is at most half that size. One that I could easily put on a tripod or a computer desk near me.

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are thinking of marketing this, you definitely need to figure out what people want the most. The speedstack displays are nice, but personally I would only want a display that is at most half that size. One that I could easily put on a tripod or a computer desk near me.

I agree, i want one that works for my youtube vids, not necessarily for tournaments, the first model we are making will be $20-25 have roughly .8" LED display digits, and should be the size of a point and shoot camera, maybe a bit bigger. Also due to the price of Larger LED displays we'd for tourney size ones we'd have to charge more like $35-45.
I'm gonna put a poll up soon....

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you can make bigger and Gen3 compatible ones, this could be a great cost-reducing alternative for competitions. I can imagine that many regions, especially newer ones, struggle with the cost of displays.

illius

WCA
2015VIRJ01
The trouble with this is that it is not difficult to do, and it has been done numerous times before. Your product is great and all, but there are tutorials to show one how to build exactly the same thing!