• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Higher Order Cube Difficulty Poll

Are higher order cubes more difficult to solve as they get bigger? (5x5+)

• Total voters

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I suck at bigcubes and I suck at 2x2. The only events I think I'll ever be fast at are 3x3, Pyra,Skewb, Mega(Bcz it is similar to 3x3) and BLD events.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, they're more difficult. There are no skills you use for 3x3 that you don't need for big cubes (all reduction methods), but there are skills you use for 7x7 that you don't need for 3x3. In that sense, they are more difficult: they require a broader skillset.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "difficult?" What I just said is way too self evident to be worthy of a science fair project, so I bet I'm misinterpreting you.

Last edited:

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
7x7 was the first cube I was able to solve without some sort of guide or help (6x6 last 2 centres I struggled). Above that it's really just more of the same.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
After 6x6 there's nothing new you need to learn, and all I had to learn for 6x6 was l2c comms...
In terms of speed solving, I think they get a little harder each time (more intricate mechanisms and smaller pieces mean your turning has to become increasingly accurate)

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01
Like a lot of other people are saying, the last two center comms were the only thing I found difficult. Besides that the rest of the cube was easy to solve, I also improved really quickly. I remember doing my first few solve, I got a 17 minute solve the 16 the 15, 14, 13, 12 and it stopped at 11 minutes until I actually had to practice to improve. Going down 6 minutes in 6 solves a minute each time can't be seen as difficult.

T

TheGrayCuber

As the cubes get bigger, they don't get harder, they just become more time consuming. Its all the same as you add more layers, just with more pieces.