• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

High Wycombe Open 2018 (UK)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Better set some goals then

4BLD - solve it. Currently on 8.5% success rate and only quick enough for 2 solves so chances are slim
3BLD - make 2nd round Final would be nice
Maybe get a PB from the rest of the events.

MattP98

WCA
2016PRES04
Oops, forgot to sign up for 4BLD. =( Maybe next time Thanks Sam!

Goals:
6x6: Non-DNF mean
3BLD: Sub 2
Clock: Sub 12
Skewb: PBs
4BLD: Success

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Might as well set myself some goals:

2x2: Sub-2 single
3x3: Sub-10 average
4x4: Sub-40 average
OH: sub-15 average
3BLD: sub-1:30 single

All of these are slightly optimistic, but who knows what'll happen. Hopefully I'll get at least one or two :)

Clock: PB single if nothing else
7x7: Decent PBs because I'm getting a decent cube
3BLD: Round 2
Square-1: Oh wait

Clock: PB single if nothing else

Great single and good avg. For once I actually wanted to use my own puzzle, but one of the magnets came off right before the round and I had to borrow a Clock.

Unfortunately everyone else decided to get fast that round as well. :/ Didn't even make final with 8.93.

7x7: Decent PBs because I'm getting a decent cube

Very decent, but same as Clock, loads of other people PBed and I'm not sure how much I actually moved up the rankings.

3BLD: Round 2

Yes, but I only needed a success :p What I really wanted was start practicing again and get a good PB single, but I didn't practice and still ended up with a 1:36 single in round 1. Maybe a PB if I reviewed less.

Square-1: Oh wait

Why even hold a comp without Square-1

Other events:

3x3: I got kind of used to making finals. Unfortunately I'm also used to getting 13 averages
2x2: PB average, pretty nice but still pretty slow
4x4: Didn't actually get PB single, 0.09 off. Bad averages
5x5: PB2 average, with a 1:31 best single, even though my PB avg is 1:29.
6x6: I haven't done 6x6 in ages but all the 7x7 practice made it seem small and easy. Overall PBs
OH: Started off with a 20.08 single that felt like the worst solve ever, then an 18, then messed up the average. Looks like I missed the final from a +2...
Skewb: Beat my 2016 PB single :) Longer solution too

Other stuff:

• I didn't PB at all on Sunday
  • I cut my thumb on Sunday morning. Maybe that's why (or maybe not)
  • I didn't take any cube out of my bag on Sunday because I borrowed everything
  • Which was probably a good idea since I lost a GTS2M on Saturday. It's stickerless with no logo so really generic, only distinguishing feature may be that it's quite tight. Basically does anyone have my cube :p
  • With the Skewb and Clock PBs I finally got rid of all my 2016 PBs. Now my oldest PB has jumped all the way to Guildford 2017... how long will the 5.73 last?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Might as well set myself some goals:

2x2: Sub-2 single
3x3: Sub-10 average
4x4: Sub-40 average
OH: sub-15 average
3BLD: sub-1:30 single

All of these are slightly optimistic, but who knows what'll happen. Hopefully I'll get at least one or two :)
2x2: Yes
3x3: No, but all averages were sub-11, so at least my recent official times are representative of my times at home.
4x4: Yes! :D Was incredibly happy with this one, possibly the highlight of the competition.
OH: Also yes, nerves affected me much less than I'd expected
3BLD: No successes, but a 1:21 DNF, which is fast (for me).
Clock: Got an average (forgot to mention that goal)

Overall a great comp, only thing it was missing was 10 minutes to warm up before OH finals. Disappointed that I missed out on two potential NR opportunities and a spot on the podium, but nevertheless I'm happy with 2nd in the country and getting rid of all my UK nemeses. Can't wait for HWO 2019!

MattP98

WCA
2016PRES04
Goals:
6x6: Non-DNF mean
3BLD: Sub 2
Clock: Sub 12
Skewb: PBs
4BLD: Success

6x6: No luck unfortunately, missed cutoff by a lot more than I expected =( Overall PB single in 7x7 though, so fingers crossed for means in both at Peterborough.

3BLD: Probably the highlight of the comp, 1:25 single in round 1 which was only 0.12 off overall PB and a comp improvement of 1:07! Messed up a setup on the safety and DNFed a good mean, and triple DNFed round 2, but that's fine.

Clock: Yes!

Skewb: PB single in round 1, but a repeat scramble straight after threw me off and I ended up with a counting 7.4. Also apparently missed an easy solution on the last scramble. =/ No sub 6 averages (6.00 and 6.02 lol), but both are sub the 6.16 I spent a year trying to beat prior to Guildford so glad to be finally over that barrier.

4BLD: DNFed a would-be overall PB2 by a couple of wings, think I might have missed one of the last letters during exec. =(

Also unexpectedly made Euros qualification for 5x5 with a 1:55 average, overall PB by 8 seconds. ^^ No PBs Sunday, but a couple of good 3x3 averages. Pretty good comp result-wise overall.